Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Black fans have grown to love the Redskins

SkinsHokieFan

Would you trade our 2012 1st rounder to the Rams for Sam Bradford if they get Andrew Luck?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you trade our 2012 1st rounder to the Rams for Sam Bradford if they get Andrew Luck?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ehhh...my head hurts.

And who do the red skinned fans love? Hmmmmmm

Two public opinion polls of Native Americans found that over 80 percent have no issues with the "Redskins" name. Doesn't mean they are fans; but they have no problem with the name unlike many liberal white fans who do not know American history other than the hollywood movies they have watched.

Not surprising. It's been nearly 2 generations since GPM refused to integrate to appease his "Dixie" fanbase. I'm sure the dominance from '82-'91 swayed some black fans 20-30 years ago, and the irrelevance of the Cowboys since about '96 has probably cooled the love for the Cowboys that the Civil Rights era fans tried to instill in their kids/grandkids. And I'm sure the adoration of this fanbase for guys like Green, Monk, Manley, Mann, Portis, Taylor, Lavar (for a time), etc. helped to mitigate a lot of the sin out our racist past.

But I will say I'm shocked that blacks almost split favoring Snyder. I didn't think anybody liked the guy, but that's probably because I'm uber-white (Ginger no less) and don't like him much.

Usually, I don't like articles that target race, but this one struck a special chord with me.

I'm a third generation Redskin. My grandfather adopted the team as his own when they moved to Washington in the 1930s and my father has followed the team his whole life. Both were (and, in the case of my father, are still) proud black men. They're both Washingtonians with a great deal of pride in the city.

The racial stigma surrounding the Redskins still lingers, but in fewer people than you'd expect. The Redskins have integrated and some of their greatest players were black. Many blacks, especially those who lived in Washington (which was a southern city for over a century) have forgiven the Redskins for shutting us out. They are the symbol of the city we call home.

Are you of the opinion that no one should ever write about race ever?

Am I the only one who notices that this is actually an extremely positive article?

Everyone is ****ing that we need to get over race. And the article is showing that DC sports fans have apparently gotten over race. So...what's the complaint again?

I also thought this was a very positive article. I am dumbfounded by the reaction in this thread. The Redskins were once owned by a racist owner who refused to employ blacks. Understandably, blacks would prefer to ignore such a team or throw their allegiance to integrated teams. Once the Redskins became integrated, blacks began to follow the team because there were black role models they could be proud of. How hard is this for fans to understand. This article was not "racial" in nature; but rather discussing the history of segregation/integration and how blacks have come to strongly adopt the home town team. I found it to be a very positive article from a social justice standpoint. I certainly prefer that we treat each other "color blind" but the history of what has gone on in the past is factual. Should people just ignore history?

Maybe the younger generation is just too far detached from the 40s - 60s to understand the significance of the black community growing support for the Redskins.

This article should be an SAT reading comprehension test question. Some folks here just didn't seem to get the central point of the article. Hint- Sonny and Sam's post above is the correct answer.

Now to a tangential point. White people hate Snyder!

But growing up, I don't recall any less "black" support of the Redskins than now. Maybe there was. But unless there is a poll from 1980 or something that backs it up, this article is kind of pointless.

You hit the nail on the head here. I always thought the Skins were a unifying force.

I don't see the problem with this article. This kind of history is always interesting to me and I like seeing it written about.

A couple months ago Dave McKenna wrote a short piece about the Redskins history as the last team to integrate, and many here whined that he didn't talk to Bobby Mitchell.

Well, problem solved with this article, no?

This line fascinated me....

“Look at where RFK is and was. It’s in the heart of the city,” said NBA guard Roger Mason Jr., a lifelong Redskins fan who followed the team with his father in his youth. “I’m not talking about the White House. I’m talking about Southeast.”

When I lived in DC, I doubt one single person I spent time with would consider the RFK site to be the heart of the city. Then again, I hung out with mostly white transplants. But I could see how if you grew up in DC and were black, that would, in fact, be the heart of the city.

DC is two cities for the most part (and that is hardly a revolutionary opinion). What this article touches on is how the Redskins now unite those two cities.

When I lived in DC' date=' I doubt one single person I spent time with would consider the RFK site to be the heart of the city. Then again, I hung out with mostly white transplants. But I could see how if you grew up in DC and were black, that would, in fact, be the heart of the city.

DC is two cities for the most part (and that is hardly a revolutionary opinion). What this article touches on is how the Redskins now unite those two cities.[/quote']

I won't often quote Dan Quail, but i remember something he said during the 1991 Washington Redskins highlight tape: "Everything's up for grabs...except the Washington Redskins."

“Look at where RFK is and was. It’s in the heart of the city' date='” said NBA guard Roger Mason Jr., a lifelong Redskins fan who followed the team with his father in his youth. “I’m not talking about the White House. I’m talking about Southeast.”[/quote']

When I lived in DC, I doubt one single person I spent time with would consider the RFK site to be the heart of the city. Then again, I hung out with mostly white transplants. But I could see how if you grew up in DC and were black, that would, in fact, be the heart of the city.

DC's center has moved to the NoVa burbs. Loudon County is more of a hub of DC sports fans than anywhere else.

DC is two cities for the most part

Slowly but surely it is becoming one. (take a look at my location)

Being a black Redskin fan myself, I am not surprised by this. I mean yeah GPM was racist and what not, but I am not going to let that ruin my passion for my home team. Besides that was fifty years ago, a lot has changed. That is why I laugh when Cowboys throw it up in my face. Half of the time, they don't even know what they are talking about and the other half they say that SOMEBODY ELSE told them and that is why they know. :ols: Way to be independent.

DC's center has moved to the NoVa burbs. Loudon County is more of a hub of DC sports fans than anywhere else.

The Dude,

I venture to guess you don't wander east of the divide very often.

I frequently drive all over the DC area from western LoCo to PG County, and all four quadrants of DC. I see more NFL fan passion in the AA communities on the East side than I do in the western *white suburbs of North Arlington where I live. More window flags, bumper stickers, hats, jerseys, etc. A lot of what I see is Dallas, Pitt, but there's a greater NFL presence in general as you move east in the DC area.

That being said, most of the money in the DC area is on the west side where the Redskins market most heavily. Follow the cash, it's pretty simple.

*white subburbs which are actually an ethnically diverse mix of immigrants and whites, but fewer US born AAs.

My guess is that if you looked at Redskin fandom as a percentage of income' date=' East of the river dwarfs west. In raw dollar amounts, though, it's certainly not close.

Has anyone ever done a poll on this board about location? I always had a strong suspicion that this board is utterly dominated by the Virginia burbs.[/quote']

There aren't that many people on here who live in DC. I swear it is less than 20 that post regularly, probably less than 10.

Are you of the opinion that no one should ever write about race ever?

Am I the only one who notices that this is actually an extremely positive article?

Everyone is ****ing that we need to get over race. And the article is showing that DC sports fans have apparently gotten over race. So...what's the complaint again?

No, but if you are going to only conduct it on two colors, then I think it dilutes the point.

Many races out there and not everything has to come down to black or white.

Archived