Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do the Packers do it?

VCDefectors

This is off topic, so feel free to disregard, but since it's a thread about the Packers, I'll just say that the fact that they didn't draft Dez Bryant really put up one hell of a red flag. They had him in their laps, and I was shocked when they passed on him. If the dude had a brain, he would've been beyond deadly in that offense. Far beyond.

Justin Harrell, DT from Tennesse, 1st round pick? :-)

They do it with no running game. A franchise QB and a stable of receivers (wide receivers and tight ends). And they have a disruptive and opportunistic defense. It's not dominant... but they still influence the outcome of games one way or another.

They more than made up for it with BJ Raji.

This is off topic, so feel free to disregard, but since it's a thread about the Packers, I'll just say that the fact that they didn't draft Dez Bryant really put up one hell of a red flag. They had him in their laps, and I was shocked when they passed on him. If the dude had a brain, he would've been beyond deadly in that offense. Far beyond.
Oh, ****. THAT'S a scary thought. Hyper-athletic physically gifted 6-2 WR catching passes from Hot Rod? :thud:

I didn't want Dez Bryant. Bulaga was the guy I wanted before the draft started and the fact that he fell to us had me excited. Don't forget that it was Bryan Bulaga who was our starting Right Tackle by the end of the season after Tauscher got hurt. If we drafted Diva Bryant, we'd have had one more WR (which we already have more than enough of) and not enough Tackles.

I didn't want Dez Bryant. Bulaga was the guy I wanted before the draft started and the fact that he fell to us had me excited. Don't forget that it was Bryan Bulaga who was our starting Right Tackle by the end of the season after Tauscher got hurt. If we drafted Diva Bryant, we'd have had one more WR (which we already have more than enough of) and not enough Tackles.

True.

I liked the Bulaga pick, but I was still astonished.

I forgot about Harrell. I know their defense isn't as good as last year, but it seems like they've had a lot of injury issues back there in the secondary.

I'm curious as to what the contract situations are over there. They can't keep everybody.

Our contract situation is actually pretty good. I believe Finley and Matthews will be needing new contracts soon, but I believe we'll be able to manage that.

I will say this: Less information probably comes out of Green Bay than most NFL cities, but there is a logistical reason for that.

The Packers are not an easy team to cover. No reporters live in Green Bay. No reporter really wants to go to Green Bay for any reason other than a game. No major newspaper is in Green Bay. There is no real "face of the franchise" executive to build a pipeline to in Green Bay.

Everyone thinks Bill Belichik never talks to the media, but that is a half truth. He never publicly talks to the media. But he might as well be the sports editor of the Boston Globe based on the way that paper covers the team. And the Globe is owned by the New York Times.

Here is something else to ponder: who is the ex-Packer in the sports media right now?

Peter King used to cover the Giants as a beat reporter. That is why he always knows exactly what is happening with them, always knew exactly what was happening with Parcells' teams, and never knows anything else. I'm sure Strahan still has plenty of "boys" there as well. It takes the Giants two text messages to be the lead story on Fox and Football Night in America.

If Belichik wants something brought up on Football Night in America, either he or one of the soldier in his avenging army of the night calls Rodney Harrison.

Sal Palontonio gets news out of Philly.

Kornheiser literally works for Dan Snyder. So, the Redskins are always discussed on PTI.

Jerry Jones is in his PR firm but ESPN has Ed Werder in Dallas full time. And Troy Aikman clearly still has big ties with them. As do Irvin and Sanders. And Jimmy Johnson can always be sent there once a year for an awkward interaction with Jerry. And Johnston...seriously...it's amazing that anyone BUT Dallas gets talked about.

In Miami, there is Le Betard who has his own ESPN show. Jimmy Johnson lives there so it's easy to put a bug in his ear too.

Pittsburgh is always a little uncovered nationally because they run their team like the Kremlin. But they always had Len Pasquerelli on speed dial if they needed him. I don't think Bradshaw has anything but superficial bridges to that organization.

Mortenson is basically Goodell's mouthpiece. That's why he is not terribly factual any longer.

Schefter comes from and lives in Denver. Hence, he is the center of the Tebow Universe.

Berman is not really from anywhere but ESPN. However, he has weird social ties to a lot of teams - particularly the Bills right now. I'm not sure what his relationship is to the 49ers at this point, but at one point, he was basically their personal PR man. You should all know the story about the Super Bowl Ring that DeBartalo wanted to give him.

Tony Dungy is a mentor to Mike Tomlin, Jim Caldwell, and Michael Vick. He is also close to the Rooney family. What three teams do you think he knows the most about?

Because neither Romo sits to pee nor Vick are their QB therefore ESPN and NFL network wont talk about them.

edit.and how did i forget about the Tebow hype after he won 1 game. Quite an accomplishment given todays NFL. I mean no body can beat the Dolphins this year. Thank god Tebow did it and showed the rest the way.

Green Bay is a small market team, and Godgers isn't the advertising-friendly icon that Peyton or Favre are.

This is true and I think it plays in their favor. They get some press, but it's all positive. Their stars are superb, but they aren't scrutinized at the level as players are in NY, here in DC, Chicago, etc. In short, what a blessing to have such a talented team in a town that just doesn't bother you.

Archived