Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GHH laid totally bare with his fanhood on the line: Why it's best for our team to lose out the rest of the 2011 season.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Here is a quiz.

The Washington Redskins defeat the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. Your reaction is:

A: Hooray for the Redskins!

B: Crap. We just dropped down another draft slot.

And no fair replying "C: All of the above." Pick either A or B to represent your predominant reaction.

When we beat Jacksonville last season my reaction was B

It's easier to answer B at the end of last year, though I still vote A every time.

What's your answer to the specific question posed though. We're 3 and 3. Ten games left in the season, going against a resurgent Bills team...

A or B?

Meh. I know I did all that and I'm just going to get ignored anyway.

I didn't ignore all of that. It was a very good post. I just don't think its relevant to me at least, because I don't want a high pick just for the sake of having a high pick. I want a high pick because I've got specific QB's in mind that I believe won't be available after the mid-1st. I know that most SB-winning QB's weren't drafted in the top-5. I just don't think it applies right now. This isn't some wish-washy concept where I'm thinking "herp derp, a higher pick equals a better QB!". I'm not looking at generalities--I'm looking at where I think these guys will go, specifically in this draft.

In general I agree with your post, though. As a general rule, looking back most years you CAN get a franchise QB late in the first, at the earliest. But this isn't most years. We're looking at specific prospects here, not a basic formula for success.

It's easier to answer B at the end of last year, though I still vote A every time.

What's your answer to the specific question posed though. We're 3 and 3. Ten games left in the season, going against a resurgent Bills team...

A or B?

3-3 with the way things look to be going: B

I think a win is fools gold now with the way this team is built

I can't speak for others here, but I don't want to consistently pick around the top. I want to get a QB there and be done with it, one time.

Why would you Conn man. If your consistently picking around the top of the draft, outside of trading picks, your not having much success on the actual field.

Hopefully, if it plays out like I fear and hope (how's that for a complex contradiction. Just thinking of you Drew my good man. :pfft: ); then I sincerely hope this is the LAST time we're picking anywhere near the top 10, let alone inside it.

See NC21's excellent post on the first page of this thread as to just where that 'feel good', but utterly points superficial win left us and, you could argue, bith costing us and setting the rebuild back.

As could similar this year. ;)

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 01:15 PM ----------

Your post deflates the whole I want losses argument. No meh in that.

It puts a good counter argument of alternative examples. It deflates absolutely nothing.

Hail.

And TY Kev. Appreciated. Indeed, wherever we end up drafting, let's hope Shanahan and the brain trust maximise that to the fullest.

Listen this is my first post on this thread, but I've gotta agree. Andrew Luck would make a world of difference in Washington. I say if you're Shanny, you give all the backups the opportunity to play for the rest of the season, develop the young guys that you're going to stick around Andrew Luck. We need to lose out, and next year we'll be vastly improved.

I've pretty much given up on the season. A season without a franchise QB is a wasted season. Especially the way this team is constructed. I'll root every game, but know afterwords that every loss is a good thing. That these injuries to veterans might have been a blessing in disguise, for a couple reasons.

You're currently sitting on your high horse and judging others who don't see being a fan the same way you do, Dan. That's not very constructive.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 02:19 PM ----------

Listen this is my first post on this thread, but I've gotta agree. Andrew Luck would make a world of difference in Washington. I say if you're Shanny, you give all the backups the opportunity to play for the rest of the season, develop the young guys that you're going to stick around Andrew Luck. We need to lose out, and next year we'll be vastly improved.

Personally, I'm over Luck. I want a high draft pick, and a franchise QB, but **** "sucking for luck". No thanks.

In your opinion. Its a good argument, but see my last post. We aren't speaking in generalities.

OK, I would like to hear your specifics. What quarterback are you wishing for that would cause you to welcome the Redskins losing? Luck is out of reach. Who do you have in mind?

OK, I would like to hear your specifics. What quarterback are you wishing for that would cause you to welcome the Redskins losing? Luck is out of reach. Who do you have in mind?

My dream scenario is Griffin being available wherever we are drafting. Unfortunately, I see him ending up a top-5 pick as well. Next best bet, in my estimation, is Tannehill. I think he'll need to be taken in the top-12, so if we like him we may be in position even with a mediocre season, if the cards fall right, in terms of other teams' records and tie-breakers.

But Griffin is my dream scenario.

I've pretty much given up on the season. A season without a franchise QB is a wasted season. Especially the way this team is constructed. I'll root every game, but know afterwords that every loss is a good thing. That these injuries to veterans might have been a blessing in disguise, for a couple reasons.

You're currently sitting on your high horse and judging others who don't see being a fan the same way you do, Dan. That's not very constructive.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 02:19 PM ----------

Personally, I'm over Luck. I want a high draft pick, and a franchise QB, but **** "sucking for luck". No thanks.

Even if it's not Luck, high draft picks in all rounds would be helpful in building the offensive line, and still fill some of these defensive back issues we're having. But Luck to me is the total package. What QB would you have in mind?

Even if it's not Luck, high draft picks in all rounds would be helpful in building the offensive line, and still fill some of these defensive back issues we're having. But Luck to me is the total package. What QB would you have in mind?

People miss that logic.

Picking 41 is hell of a lot better than picking at 56.

Its not that I don't want Luck--its that I've come to terms with the fact that we aren't getting him, and I've seen other great options.

See my post #488 in this thread.

I didn't ignore all of that. It was a very good post. I just don't think its relevant to me at least, because I don't want a high pick just for the sake of having a high pick. I want a high pick because I've got specific QB's in mind that I believe won't be available after the mid-1st. I know that most SB-winning QB's weren't drafted in the top-5. I just don't think it applies right now. This isn't some wish-washy concept where I'm thinking "herp derp, a higher pick equals a better QB!". I'm not looking at generalities--I'm looking at where I think these guys will go, specifically in this draft.

In general I agree with your post, though. As a general rule, looking back most years you CAN get a franchise QB late in the first, at the earliest. But this isn't most years. We're looking at specific prospects here, not a basic formula for success.

Well who's the guy you have in mind that we have to have?

Because as I look at the football landscape, as I posted before, I see two teams that will probably definitely take a quarterback in the first round, and then everything gets muddy. The Seahawks could take a quarterback, maybe. Whether or not the Broncos take a quarterback depends entirely on whether Tebow does well.

Right now, the only thing is certain is that the Dolphins take a quarterback. The Colts seem likely to.

We're not getting Andrew Luck. Period. He should be scratched from any and all further discussions. The Dolphins are a play away from having to start J.P Losman at quarterback. (And people think our quarterback situation is bad).

Looking at the landscape of the league, there seem to be a lot of football teams that are set at quarterback. The run on quarterbacks in 2011 actually helped us, because even if some of these teams lose bad this season, they're not going to simply dump their quarterbacks they drafted this season to get a new one.

If you're looking at the landscape of the league...Colts, Dolphins are probably drafting one and two. After that, who do you think is going to draft a quarterback that didn't last season. Broncos...Seahawks maybe? And you also have to think about what kind of quarterbacks those teams will need. I don't think the Broncos are going to go crazy over drafting a guy like RGIII, even if he's better than Tebow, just because of the kind of coach John Fox is.

I 've pretty much given up on the season. A season without a franchise QB is a wasted season. Especially the way this team is constructed. I'll root every game, but know afterwords that every loss is a good thing. That these injuries to veterans might have been a blessing in disguise, for a couple reasons.

No high horse here, Conn. I'm simply arguing my point of view.

But I will say this. We're six games into the season. You've already thrown in the towel. Yet you complain about being judged. There's a disconnect there.

I'm a realist. Things don't look great right now for this team. But I'll be in front of the TV or in the stands every week, hoping for wins. Just like I've done for decades now. After a loss, I'm with you when I can offset the pain of losing with the rationale, "Oh well, at least they'll have a better draft position." But that does not drive me to root for losses beforehand. Call me crazy.

When the season is over, I'll watch with interest as the team drafts, wherever their draft position happens to be.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 02:34 PM ----------

Yup, there's a guy who's philosophy on anything to do with coaching you can rely on.

Where's he been coaching again these past 3 or 4 years? (Now THAT would be me being a smug wise ass. ;) ).

Hail.

Do you disagree with his statement in that clip?

RGIII is good, but I'm not sure his game will translate to the NFL. After watching Baylor this season so far he's got a strong arm, but his height worries me. We've got two short QB's as is. You watch every game of the season so far and you see passes batted at the line constantly. Without an O-line holding him up I'm not sure how successful he'll be even in the Redskins scheme where we roll qb's out constantly

Love the thread GHH, nice work.

The good news is that I don't think the Skins will actually have to "try" to suck this year. They're doing a fine job and should have a high draft pick regardless of what the "homers" and "trainspotters" think.

See post #488 in this thread.

I'm gonna be one of the people who's gonna say...I just don't get the hype with RGIII.

He comes from that spread attack, a lot of his passes are those easy screens. Most plays he's only making one, possibly two reads, and then either the balls out or he is. You don't see him really making progressions. Not saying he can't be good, but I do think, if he declares, he's going to be this years overhyped junior prospect.

But more power to you if you want him.

See post #488 in this thread.

Walter Camp speculates that Griffin may opt to stay at Baylor next year:

"The early hints are that Griffin is inclined to pull an Andrew Luck/Jake Locker/Matt Leinart and return to school for another season."

Also, they project Tannehill as 2nd rounder.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php

So either way, no need to hope for Redskins losses.

Archived