Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody else ecstatic by todays outcome

Malcomb Kelly's Knees

You suck as a fan. And that goes for anyone that hopes we lose games. And outside of Dallas, the loss today pains me more than any others (I live with these idiot Panther fans).

I agree..rooting for your team to lose is weak bi*** talk. They should skip watching the game altogether and just watch Sex In the City with their wives.

I wouldn't say I'm ecstatic but do get your point. The reason we have sucked for the last 20 years (OK, 3 playoff berths but even those teams weren't great We caught lightning in a bottle) is because we haven't been bad enough. No top 2 overall draft picks. Luck (no pun intended) is also involved. Having a top 4 pick in a great draft class has transformed some of the worst teams in the league to some of the best. Hopefully this year's draft class turns out to be as good as the 2004 draft class with Rothlesburger, Rivers and Eli. A franchise QB has proven to be invaluable. No better example is the Colts. 1 QB would make that team a playoff contender and now they sit winless. That being said, I would be willing to give up 3 1st round draft picks to land Andrew Luck. Let's hope the Rams finish with the worst record.

And this is a board for Extreme Fans and every fan here im sure is Extreme in their own way and wants what is best for the team so dont be too hard on eachother

As my pastor says, you can be sincere & wrong. To hope for our team to lose as much as possible so we can cast our lots for the highest Draft pick who has never played an NFL down is sincerely wrong.

I completely agree that we need a top flight QB. But there are no guarantees that a top 5 QB is gonna be the answer, no matter what his name is.

I truly believe that many people are hung up on Andrew Luck for no other reason than his name & couldn't care less if he actually fit into our system. I further believe that many people are so hung up on next years QBs coming out of the Draft, that they have tunnel vision & the very first sign that this team needs help, they see nothing else OTHER than their option of "suck for Luck" (or Barkley, as the case may be).

Quite frankly, it sickens me that people have gotten so used to losing that now, they embrace it with the notion that it will bring more fortune. Kinda like spending more to alleviate debt.

:insane:

Dumb, if you ask me.

I just don't understand this mentality. I always want to win. Things will come our way. I think we are on the right path. I have loved this past offseason and what the team has done during the season. We were really bad last year and have improved. It takes time, and I think the current Front Office finally gets it and is working towards that. We just need to give them time and not be impatient.

I truely think we are going to end up 5 and 11.depending if all the Qbs come out this year. I hope we finish in the top ten. So we can trade back and just get Tannehill in the 1st, CB and ILB in the second, RT in the third, and BPA in the rest of the rounds. Then the following year hopefully get Watkins in the 1st. Crap I'll trade a second this year to get a first next and get Honey Badger with Watkins in the first. But we need talent across the board with a Big Time QB ASAP.

I just don't understand this mentality. I always want to win. Things will come our way. I think we are on the right path. I have loved this past offseason and what the team has done during the season. We were really bad last year and have improved. It takes time, and I think the current Front Office finally gets it and is working towards that. We just need to give them time and not be impatient.

It's the misguided mentality of a fanbase who believes we're only a "franchise quarterback" away from competing, without any regards for what makes franchise quarterbacks successful early in their careers.

I wouldn't say I'm ecstatic but do get your point. The reason we have sucked for the last 20 years (OK, 3 playoff berths but even those teams weren't great We caught lightning in a bottle) is because we haven't been bad enough. No top 2 overall draft picks. Luck (no pun intended) is also involved. Having a top 4 pick in a great draft class has transformed some of the worst teams in the league to some of the best. Hopefully this year's draft class turns out to be as good as the 2004 draft class with Rothlesburger, Rivers and Eli. A franchise QB has proven to be invaluable. No better example is the Colts. 1 QB would make that team a playoff contender and now they sit winless. That being said, I would be willing to give up 3 1st round draft picks to land Andrew Luck. Let's hope the Rams finish with the worst record.
I'm all for getting a QB like Luck. But I'm of the opinion that you let the pieces fall how they may. I would NEVER root for my team to LOSE a game...ever. That's bull****. If we happen to not win another game this year, fine. But I won't wish it upon us. Not even to land a guy like Luck. It's stupid. For one, he might not even come out. There's no guarantees. Hell, everyone thought he would come out last year. He won't admit it. But I bet part of his reasoning was because he didn't want to go to Carolina. And he might not want to go to a team like Miami. Plus he could just be one of those rare guys like Peyton Manning that love the college life and want to stay as long as they can.

I'm all for getting a QB like Luck. But I'm of the opinion that you let the pieces fall how they may. I would NEVER root for my team to LOSE a game...ever. That's bull****. If we happen to not win another game this year, fine. But I won't wish it upon us. Not even to land a guy like Luck. It's stupid. For one, he might not even come out. There's no guarantees. Hell, everyone thought he would come out last year. He won't admit it. But I bet part of his reasoning was because he didn't want to go to Carolina. And he might not want to go to a team like Miami. Plus he could just be one of those rare guys like Peyton Manning that love the college life and want to stay as long as they can.

Or he could end up like Peyton's brother, Eli, get drafted by one team who has to trade him to another because he doesn't want to play for them.

Or, after the season is over & teams have purposely lost games for a chance to get this QB, he goes out one night to blow off some steam & (God forbid) gets killed in a car wreck on the way home. Then what?

There are simply too many variables to consider.

This tunnel vision people have....yeah, that light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train. Y'all might wanna get off the tracks.

Barkley > Luck

Luck just has a better supporting cast.

Wrong. Barkley's skill set and arm, while probably good enough to enable him to eventually play on Sundays , are not of the same caliber as Luck's. By a significant margin IMO.

I fear your plan of losing in order to win - in this instance a QB of renown - is absurdly far-fetched my man.

EDIT: That QB I mentioned was NOT Barkley, btw. :D

Luck was redshirted or is finishing school early or something. No way he doesn't come out AGAIN. That would just be dumb.

Agreed. He DOES have that last year of eligibility left, but I'm thinking he knows he's gone about as far as he's gonna go, and done about as much as he's gonna do, with the Cardinal. He knows just as we know it's time to take it to the next level after this season.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

RGIII is a stud and when the draft is here it will be 1. Luck and 1a. RGIII..

LL56, off-topic a little, but what do you think of Russell Wilson? He's not the tallest cat out there, but neither was Drew Brees. I like this kid a lot. Can make all the throws, can run if necessary, and has tremendous pocket presence and uncanny vision. He makes it look ridiculously easy to be a prolific D I QB sometimes.

Course, MSU might argue that point a tad...

Agreed. He DOES have that last year of eligibility left, but I'm thinking he knows he's gone about as far as he's gonna go, and done about as much as he's gonna do, with the Cardinal. He knows just as we know it's time to take it to the next level after this season.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

LL56, off-topic a little, but what do you think of Russell Wilson? He's not the tallest cat out there, but neither was Drew Brees. I like this kid a lot. Can make all the throws, can run if necessary, and has tremendous pocket presence and uncanny vision. He makes it look ridiculously easy to be a prolific D I QB sometimes.

Course, MSU might argue that point a tad...

I love Wilson just don't know about the height.

Hey, if you feel this bad about losing to the Panthers, ... think how the Raiders people feel today :(
People focus too much on a team's record. The Panthers weren't near as bad as their 1-5 record. They have been in every game this year. Lost to the Saints last week by a FG. A team that just scored 62 points on the Colts! Lost by 7 to the defending world champs, who've won about their last 12 games, overall. People looked at their record, plus the fact that they start a rookie at QB, and automatically assume it's a game we should definitely win. Well, the oddsmakers obviously knew what was up. They had the Panthers as favorites. Losing to them isn't some terrible thing. They have a very good offense. And Newton isn't your typical rookie QB (obviously). Not to mention we had a QB making his first start since 2007, a banged up offensive line, and lost several key players during the game.

People focus too much on a team's record. The Panthers weren't near as bad as their 1-5 record. They have been in every game this year. Lost to the Saints last week by a FG. A team that just scored 62 points on the Colts! Lost by 7 to the defending world champs, who've won about their last 12 games, overall. People looked at their record, plus the fact that they start a rookie at QB, and automatically assume it's a game we should definitely win. Well, the oddsmakers obviously knew what was up. They had the Panthers as favorites. Losing to them isn't some terrible thing. They have a very good offense. And Newton isn't your typical rookie QB (obviously). Not to mention we had a QB making his first start since 2007, a banged up offensive line, and lost several key players during the game.

And that's exactly my point. No matter the circumstances, a loss really stings. The more embarrassing it is, the worse it stings, and Oakland's situation today was pretty damn embarrassing. By comparison, Beck's first start > Boller/Palmer by a mile, and I would expect threads like this on a Raiders message board on game day, but there's only one measly thread about how Beck played well, and a bunch of **** about how everything sucks and how bad it is.

Going by comparison with other team's matchups only goes so far. If what happened to the Raiders happened to us today, against ANY team, the **** would have already been shredded through the fan and messed all over the wall.

The Raiders have it worse than you today folks, trust me.

The Redskins were capable of winning this game. We all know that they are not this bad. Something happened to the defense today and that something was Cam Newton. The Panthers offensive coordinator was calling option runs. And any professional NFL defense, whether they are running a 4-3 or a 3-4, should be able to stop a damn option play! But not the Redskins. It was almost if the Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator was playing games with the Redskins defense. Our defense looked pitiful all game, and I know that they are better than that.

Great idea. Let's try to lose a lot of games, so that we can get a better draft pick next year. Hey, why not try and lose games every year, that way we will always get a good draft pick? I mean that's all that really matters, right?

We are 3-3, with a points difference of +/-0. If we carry on like that, we will finish 8-8, which is just about where most of us thought we would end up, (I actually thought 9-7, but close enough). Why would any fan want their team to lose? I just don't get it. HTTR.

Because what good does finishing 8-8 do for us? We are always bad, but not awful or good, but not great. Being in the middle gets you nowhere. All it does is worsen our draft pick and give us less of a chance of landing the QB we need and want. We knew this year would be a wash going into it, so let's develop the young talent on our team and pick the guy who will lead our franchise for the next decade FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Because what good does finishing 8-8 do for us? We are always bad, but not awful or good, but not great. Being in the middle gets you nowhere. All it does is worsen our draft pick and give us less of a chance of landing the QB we need and want. We knew this year would be a wash going into it, so let's develop the young talent on our team and pick the guy who will lead our franchise for the next decade FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I totally agree, but not at the cost of being ecstatic about losing games so that we can get higher draft picks, as implied by the OP.

An 8-8 finish would be a two game improvement on last year. If we have another solid draft, combined with sensible free agent pick ups, we could improve by another two games next year and finish 10-6.

I hate losing, and also want to win now, but I will never be happy about a loss, even if it means a higher pick. I don't want to think about the off season when we've only just played game six. HTTR.

Only losers play to lose. NFL coaches and players are paid to try to win. Hoping to lose to get some miracle savior pick at the top of the draft is a sucker's game. "Peyton Manning", yeah, I know. But that's once in a lifetime. What about those other recent great QB #1s like David Carr, Alex Smith, JaBustus Russell?

Go route for the Dolphins or something. They'll lose 14-16 games this year. Sounds like your kind of team.

Please explain something to the rest of us here who disagree with this mentality.

How do you...

1) Convince nearly 100 professionals, all with signed contracts for money (some that expire this coming season & would have to explain themselves to the next team), to employ a "let's lose to win" mentality, go out & do poorly each week so that, hopefully at the end of the season, we will finish in such bad shape that we get to Draft high for a possible diamond in the rough?

2) Reverse all that afterwards?

And then, what happens when the players who are still here realize that the franchise QB is not the only problem here & there are yet more holes to fill? Do we then "tank" another season so we can draft high again? Maybe this time for a franchise WR? Or a G or T or CB?

Where does it end?

All y'all who have this "lose now to win later" mentality aren't seeing the whole picture. You're being shortsighted about it & only seeing your side to it. You seemingly forget that drafting high doesn't gaurantee anything. You're also leaving out that Shanny & co can trade up or down in the Draft to get the player they want/need that best fits with our system/team. This is no longer the Vinny era where we ONLY draft the BPA. I believe that Shanny & Allen will make whatever provisions they need to to get whatever players they need thru the Draft...without feeling the need to "tank" the season.

I can't believe these things have to be explained to Redskins fans. We have really gone downhill as a fanbase when we start talking like this. smh

Archived