Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Maese Twitter: Updates on Moss, Fletcher, Hightower, and Grossman ***UPDATE Hightower Torn ACL Post #93***

Redskinzfan30

Not sure how this is up for debate. After Locker was taken this plan was set in stone.

I don't know. Look at Newton, Ponder, Dalton. They're not stinking it up.

Fair enough, but this is Mike Shanahan. He didn't even start Cutler over Jake Plummer until later in the year. I don't think a rookie QB will see the field until he has the playbook down to a science.

Fair enough, but this is Mike Shanahan. He didn't even start Cutler over Jake Plummer until later in the year. I don't think a rookie QB will see the field until he has the playbook down to a science.

I see where you're coming from, but Beck isn't Plummer, and the '12 Redskins won't be the '05 Broncos.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 05:37 PM ----------

newsflash: patrick ramsey just sucked, regardless of being "shellshocked". thats an excuse people use to cover that he just wasnt very good.

Don't be an idiot.

Spurrier knows quarterbacks, dumbass. He just doesn't know them very well after they can drink legally.

I see where you're coming from, but Beck isn't Plummer, and the '12 Redskins won't be the '05 Broncos.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 05:37 PM ----------

Don't be an idiot.

Spurrier knows quarterbacks, dumbass. He just doesn't know them very well after they can drink legally.

wasn't plummer 7-4 when he got pulled?

newsflash: patrick ramsey just sucked, regardless of being "shellshocked". thats an excuse people use to cover that he just wasnt very good.

He wasn't ever that great, and I wasn't a fan, but he got to a whole new level of suck after having the hell beat out of him.

Not that I'm defending the guy.

And NC21, coke is not RC cola but it drinks the same. Much like that broncos team compared to our Redskins team, or Jake Plummer vs John Beck.

We're a much worse team than they were, but if anything, wouldn't that lead to more, not less, caution with a franchise rookie QB?

He wasn't ever that great, and I wasn't a fan, but he got to a whole new level of suck after having the hell beat out of him.

Not that I'm defending the guy.

rookies can produce in the NFL, we see it every year. not every QB needs this mythical 2 years on the bench bull****. newton is killing it, dalton is good, ponder is currently beating the packers in his first start and looked good in relief last week, bradford looked good his rookie year, as did stafford, etc. guys can come in and play well. theyll commit rookie mistakes and thats ok, but i dont expect us to contend for anything for at least another 2 years.

Not sure how this is up for debate. After Locker was taken this plan was set in stone.

The plan did not change when locker was taken because there was no plan or intention to take him . Washington times i believe already came out with the news skins were intending on taking Andy Dalton in the second before he went to the Bengals.

The plan did not change when locker was taken because there was no plan or intention to take him . Washington times i believe already came out with the news skins were intending on taking Andy Dalton in the second before he went to the Bengals.

any idea who the staff currently likes from the upcoming crop? or too early for that news?

wasn't plummer 7-4 when he got pulled?

That's kind of my point. Cutler came into a real team after being behind a real quarterback.

Honestly, I'd be more afraid of my rookie quarterback learning ****ty play from the guy he's replacing. Plummer has a good resume and it was just towards the end of his career while Cutler had the talent.

Beck and Grossman don't have that resume.

rookies can produce in the NFL, we see it every year. not every QB needs this mythical 2 years on the bench bull****. newton is killing it, dalton is good, ponder is currently beating the packers in his first start and looked good in relief last week, bradford looked good his rookie year, as did stafford, etc. guys can come in and play well. theyll commit rookie mistakes and thats ok, but i dont expect us to contend for anything for at least another 2 years.

to be fair, rookies aren't running the fun and gun anymore. and bradford looked good last year, but he hasn't made strides this year. i know his guys drop the football, but protecting a young qb is important and if your oline is shaky it might be better to let someone else play for even half a year to keep the sack mileage down on the future of your franchise.

Sorry, I didn't put that out there correctly. Should've read:

"After Locker was taken, I knew that this plan was set in stone."

Jsteelz had posted something that convinced me the night before or the night before that.

Either way, when you don't take a quarterback after the McNabb/Grossman fiasco and John Beck on your bench, then you know that the next year you're going to go balls to the walls to get one.

to be fair, rookies aren't running the fun and gun anymore. and bradford looked good last year, but he hasn't made strides this year. i know his guys drop the football, but protecting a young qb is important and if your oline is shaky it might be better to let someone else play for even half a year to keep the sack mileage down on the future of your franchise.

dont get me wrong, im not saying just throw them to the wolves asap, but the whole idea of how we can "spoil" a guy by playing him too soon can get way overblown. starting a guy 7 games into the season is ok, some people on this board think QBs need years of sitting to be successful and thats just not the case.

It wasn't a secret that the Bengals liked Dalton, i recall reading multiple times Gruden loved the guy. Some closer to the draft projected Dalton as a late first rounder. It's hard for me to see that they LOVED Dalton considering the Bengals were ahead of them in the 2nd round, hard to see that they were surprised that he was taken or maybe they LIKED but not loved Dalton and were willing to wait and see if there is an off chance he falls? I am not doubting they liked him but hard for me to see that they loved him considering waiting for him where they did in the 2nd round to me was a long shot.

I agree on Rex, but think it's too soon to tell with Beck. By next year, he could be a lot closer to a Jake Plummer.

I'll concede that you're probably right on this, but it's far too early for anyone to know for sure. Except BLC, apparently.

Well, the fact that it's too soon to know about Beck kind of is my point; he doesn't have the resumé. If he gets it, then great, but he literally won't have it before we get our guy in six months.

No offense, but if Beck was throwing to Steve Smith, then he would look like the next coming of Steve Young

Well, the fact that it's too soon to know about Beck kind of is my point; he doesn't have the resumé. If he gets it, then great, but he literally won't have it before we get our guy in six months.

I don't think Mike Shanahan cares about resume.If he did we'd have a QB on the roster with a good one. I see your point, but if Mike is comfortable with Beck, then the rookie gets to learn for half a season. If not, I suppose he's out there day 1.

I know which I'd prefer, but to each their own.

Play Paul, Hankerson, and Austin next week. Time to see what the kids can do. I'm tired of Gaffney dropping passes.

And, let's not forget Anthony Armstrong, and Fred Davis ... add them to the mix in the passing game.

Guess, the only way some of the youngsters are going to see the field is when someone get injured! Absolutely pathetic!!

dont get me wrong, im not saying just throw them to the wolves asap, but the whole idea of how we can "spoil" a guy by playing him too soon can get way overblown. starting a guy 7 games into the season is ok, some people on this board think QBs need years of sitting to be successful and thats just not the case.

you know when you sit a qb for seasons at a time?

when you have joe montana or brett favre in front of him.

i don't think shanny has any reservations about starting a young guy, but i can see him doing a vikings over a bengals lets say.

I don't think Mike Shanahan cares about resume.If he did we'd have a QB on the roster with a good one. I see your point, but if Mike is comfortable with Beck, then the rookie gets to learn for half a season. If not, I suppose he's out there day 1.

I know which I'd prefer, but to each their own.

I don't think that you're thinking this one through. That's going to sound like me being a total dick, but that's only because it's via text and not voice. I literally mean that I don't think that you're thinking it through, not that you're dumb or that your opinion is irrelevant or anything like that.

Shanahan took only four-year guys who were leaders in this draft. That's what he does. There was no quarterback out there this year to come in. Seriously, go back and look, nobody. McNabb was that shot in the dark, and it failed, so there was going to be no trading the farm for Palmer. Beck and Grossman competed for the starting job because they were there, and that's it.

Shanahan isn't happy with Grossman or Beck; he's not putting them on his list for next year. Both have had careers that are not ones from which to be taught. That's not an insult to Beck, he just hasn't had a good career even if only by lack of starts (though there's always a reason that you're not the starter). Shanahan loses nothing by putting a rookie out there Day One and he loses a lot by putting him with the second-, third-string and watches him learn from someone like Beck or Grossman who just isn't a winner. Not sure if you're a parent, but would you want your child taking English 312 from a guy who has not shown an ability to read? It's like that.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 05:57 PM ----------

you know when you sit a qb for seasons at a time?

when you have joe montana or brett favre in front of him.

i don't think shanny has any reservations about starting a young guy, but i can see him doing a vikings over a bengals lets say.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. Right on.

It wasn't a secret that the Bengals liked Dalton, i recall reading multiple times Gruden loved the guy. Some closer to the draft projected Dalton as a late first rounder. It's hard for me to see that they LOVED Dalton considering the Bengals were ahead of them in the 2nd round, hard to see that they were surprised that he was taken or maybe they LIKED but not loved Dalton and were willing to wait and see if there is an off chance he falls? I am not doubting they liked him but hard for me to see that they loved him considering waiting for him where they did in the 2nd round to me was a long shot.

His do you know their intention was to trade back again in the first? That draft is in the past so not going to go back into all that.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 10:00 PM ----------

Sorry, I didn't put that out there correctly. Should've read:

"After Locker was taken, I knew that this plan was set in stone."

Jsteelz had posted something that convinced me the night before or the night before that.

Either way, when you don't take a quarterback after the McNabb/Grossman fiasco and John Beck on your bench, then you know that the next year you're going to go balls to the walls to get one.

Exactly, Rex and Beck are in a competition to see who stays and is the place holder till the rook is ready nothing more.

Archived