Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Maese Twitter: Updates on Moss, Fletcher, Hightower, and Grossman ***UPDATE Hightower Torn ACL Post #93***

Redskinzfan30

Shanahan isn't happy with Grossman or Beck; he's not putting them on his list for next year. Both have had careers that are not ones from which to be taught. That's not an insult to Beck, he just hasn't had a good career even if only by lack of starts (though there's always a reason that you're not the starter). Shanahan loses nothing by putting a rookie out there Day One and he loses a lot by putting him with the second-, third-string and watches him learn from someone like Beck or Grossman who just isn't a winner. Not sure if you're a parent, but would you want your child taking English 312 from a guy who has not shown an ability to read? It's like that.

Hasselback, Vince Young, or overdraft a college QB with "resume". Mike did none of these things, instead going with a never was and an unknown. I'm glad he did, but to pretend there were no options out there for a more proven QB is exaggerating.

How exactly do you know that Shanny is not happy with John Beck? Or that he's "not a winner"?

Not to be a total dick or anything but the entire last paragraph is just opinions stated as facts. You're entilted to them, but not everyone is prepared to assume John Beck is trash. Not yet, at least.

At least you're civil about it. Considering its a hypothetical argument about the mostly unknown Beck and a college QB that won't be drafted for months....may as well just wait and see what happens.

Wow, BLC. I 'm glad to see from the sig that you were open to lettng Beck's performance dictate his relative worth as a QB. Nothing preconceived there.

The Skins need a QB. It's obvious Grossman is not the QB for the Skins. I would think that maybe, just maybe, you might give the new guy at least two or three games on this team before you start burning him in effigy or trading away all of next year's picks drafting his replacment. Tell me, did you make it past the first quarter before you pronounced Beck terrible? Not that I care. Just curious.

You may be right. Beck may be every bit as bad as the previous 21 QB's the Skins have had over the past 20 years. Maybe I just don't have your in depth knowledge of QB's or your abiity to foretell the future. But before I bury the guy with criticism, I think I'll wait just a few games before I admit you're right. Hope you don't mind. You being so open-minded on the subject and all.

Wow, BLC. I 'm glad to see from the sig that you were open to lettng Beck's performance dictate his relative worth as a QB. Nothing preconceived there.

The Skins need a QB. It's obvious Grossman is not the QB for the Skins. I would think that maybe, just maybe, you might give the new guy at least two or three games on this team before you start burning him in effigy or trading away all of next year's picks drafting his replacment. Tell me, did you make it past the first quarter before you pronounced Beck terrible? Not that I care. Just curious.

You may be right. Beck may be every bit as bad as the previous 21 QB's the Skins have had over the past 20 years. Maybe I just don't have your in depth knowledge of QB's or your abiity to foretell the future. But before I bury the guy with criticism, I think I'll wait just a few games before I admit you're right. Hope you don't mind. You being so open-minded on the subject and all.

blindly hoping a 30 year old QB who hasnt been able to hack it in the NFL for the past god knows how long should be enough to know nobody is winning with the guy. now if youd like to think hes going to amount to something, by all means dont let me stop you. i just happen to think a failed stint with the dolphins, being let go from the ravens for peanuts, and not being able to beat our rex grossman in the preseason are enough for me.

and lets get real, he didnt play that well today until junk time. he had a pretty ****ty first half, and he didnt really get it going until the panthers went into their "we dont care" defense. looked a lot like another QB i remember from a few years ago who bloat their stats in the 4th quarter after the game is out of reach, but we wont go there lol.

Hasselback, Vince Young, or overdraft a college QB with "resume". Mike did none of these things, instead going with a never was and an unknown. I'm glad he did, but to pretend there were no options out there for a more proven QB is exaggerating.

How exactly do you know that Shanny is not happy with John Beck? Or that he's "not a winner"?

Not to be a total dick or anything but the entire last paragraph is just opinions stated as facts. You're entilted to them, but not everyone is prepared to assume John Beck is trash. Not yet, at least.

Hasselbeck couldn't stay healthy, Young was on our radar, and the whole point was to not "overdraft" (never heard that one before, but I like it way more than "reaching"!). There were no options for a more proven quarterback; there just weren't. It blows.

I think that you're just completely missing my point on Beck: He's an unknown. He has no resumé. He has no history. He has no anything. Again, would you want someone to teach your child who has shown nothing as a teacher? Of course not. Could Beck end up being Brady? Sure, and I would effing love it; I have nothing against Beck. However, I don't think that you keep a rookie on the bench to learn from someone who has not shown a grasp on the subject.

His do you know their intention was to trade back again in the first? That draft is in the past so not going to go back into all that..

Yeah they could have or could have traded up in the 2nd. Just saying I wonder if they liked but not loved Dalton because if he was the be all and end all target, where he was selected in the drafted wasn't a surprise unlike lets say Ponder where the vikings shocked many with where they took him

Edit; its neither here nor there am not doubting they liked Dalton, just thinking to myself if they really loved the guy they likely had a shot to make it happen depending on what they were willing to give up. If Beck doesn't work out I presume they will be way more aggressive in terms of landing their QB in the draft next year

I think that you're just completely missing my point on Beck: He's an unknown. He has no resumé. He has no history. He has no anything. Again, would you want someone to teach your child who has shown nothing as a teacher? Of course not. Could Beck end up being Brady? Sure, and I would effing love it; I have nothing against Beck. However, I don't think that you keep a rookie on the bench to learn from someone who has not shown a grasp on the subject.

Currently you're completely right about that. All I'm saying is at the end of the season, Beck will have more of a history, good or bad. If he looks good he may be kept on...

I'd think at the end of the year, he'd know the offense well enough to help a rookie QB, but I suppose that could be debatable, depending on your overall impression of Beck.

Currently you're completely right about that. All I'm saying is at the end of the season, Beck will have more of a history, good or bad. If he looks good he may be kept on...

I'd think at the end of the year, he'd know the offense well enough to help a rookie QB, but I suppose that could be debatable, depending on your overall impression of Beck.

beck will almost certainly be here next year. he signed an extension while grossman refused one and he'll be our stopgap. if he overachieves he may get to play for longer, but he's a bridge.

people just have a hard time giving him any credit and i can only guess that has to do with them thinking somehow beck doing well equates to us not taking a franchise guy next year.

Yeah they could have or could have traded up in the 2nd. Just saying I wonder if they liked but not loved Dalton because if he was the be all and end all target, where he was selected in the drafted wasn't a surprise unlike lets say Ponder where the vikings shocked many with where they took him

Edit; its neither here nor there am not doubting they liked Dalton, just thinking to myself if they really loved the guy they likely had a shot to make it happen depending on what they were willing to give up. If Beck doesn't work out I presume they will be way more aggressive in terms of landing their QB in the draft next year

Becks performance doesn't matter and the skins will be aggressive in getting a QB.

sucks that moss will be out, but the upside is that the youngers guys will be forced onto the field. niles paul needs to be targeted more, i really cant see anything that he has done wrong all season (including preseason).

people just have a hard time giving him any credit and i can only guess that has to do with them thinking somehow beck doing well equates to us not taking a franchise guy next year.

a lot of people werent as impressed as you were with how beck played.

and imo, beck could play at a pro bowl level from here out and we'd be grabbing a qb in the first round next year.

Becks performance doesn't matter and the skins will be aggressive in getting a QB.

Beck's 30 so if he works or doesn't you got to get a guy I agree. And I liked how they played the draft last time. This time if they are committed to find a young potential franchise QB, I bet on them getting their target whoever it is.

granthpaulsen Grant Paulsen

Jabar Gaffney on his fumble: "I was trying to make something happen. I should've just got down. It cost us three points." #Redskins

What did he say about dropping the ball on the play prior to dropping the ball again?

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 07:36 PM ----------

Wrong.

Hank ran the right route (and was open on the fly). Beck read it wrong, thought he would cut the route off. Thus he underthrew him.

Failed "experiment" my ass.

True! I thought I saw you on the sideline next to kyle when that play was called.

T.O. with a bum knee is prob better than our WRs...

We have no Yards after the catch unless it's a screen.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 08:17 PM ----------

Rich_Campbell Rich Campbell

TIM Hightower says he does not believe he tore his ACL. MRI tomorrow to find out for sure. #Redskins

RickMaese Rick Maese

Hightower on crutches in locker room. Says X-rays negative. He's hopeful he'll be back #redskinswp

Russellmania980 Chris Russell

Hightower says he recovers quick and he'll be back soon. Santana doesn't know how broken hand happened

Hope his knee is better tomorrow...

surprised nobody has started a thread yet. but it was expected.

now im interested to see what the roster move will be. if we bring in larry johnson, i wont be happy.

Yeah I searched first to see if any threads already existed, then just decided to update this one in lieu of starting a new thread.

Anyway, my gut is that they bring Royster to the active roster and then retroactively sign L.J. to the practice squad.

Already have one.His name is John Beck. Maybe 9-7 will be good enough to draft some DBs, some OL, and a real threat at WR,

Are you joking? Next...

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

Hankerson sucks. Get rid of him. Failed experiment.

One play and he's failed experiment? Hate to know what JC, Jeff George, Heath Shuler,etc were then.

What did he say about dropping the ball on the play prior to dropping the ball again?

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 07:36 PM ----------

True! I thought I saw you on the sideline next to kyle when that play was called.

Beck said this morning it was his fault not Hanks....

Shanahan has no choice but to draft a QB next year. By passing twice on the position, he's kinda backed into a corner. Unless, of course, he goes with another retread. Not unrealistic.

Beck's performance is immaterial to that decision. His age puts an expiration date on his abilities. You need to have someone in the queue.

City of Crompton

Already have one.His name is John Beck. Maybe 9-7 will be good enough to draft some DBs, some OL, and a real threat at WR,

Best answer IMO. We have many more pressing needs to put together a "team" with quality players. Agree completely with your need list and might I add we need a shut down CB.

100 bucks says hightower is done for the season. that is a blatant MCL/ACL tear or something similar.

Maybe for his career. :(

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 01:47 PM ----------

surprised nobody has started a thread yet. but it was expected.

now im interested to see what the roster move will be. if we bring in larry johnson, i wont be happy.

Royster, right?

Archived