Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Need HDTV/LCD/LED TV Help Please

redskns21

Yes I'm aware. It was joking since we are throwing out numbers. But Plasma is by far better in the motion blur category. I agree 60hz is blurry on fast moving pucks or footballs that are thrown down field. Not sure what chipwich is talking about

Plasmas are indeed better TVs, as long as you go with a midrange Panasonic or Samsung. The low end ones have horrible contrast levels. Also the 720p models have terrible issues with sharpness to where you can see the jagged edges around large letters.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 11:16 AM ----------

:ols: You sound like a bad tv salesman. I can assure you I am not watching blurry pucks :ols:

Here is a nice little summation article.

I stand by my opinion, if he is going from a 24" tv, any tv he buys he will be thrilled with whatever he gets. Don't run up the price on him for nonsense.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp#fbid=NRyyrq0wAAi

Dude, are you reading my posts or not?

I already said that for THIS GUY it doesn't make sense for a 120Hz TV. But in general, you want 120Hz over 60. I swear, debating with you is like talking with a child.

I bought a 70" Sharp Quattron LED TV which is 120hz and it has some motion blur when a football is thrown down field and pucks flying across the screen. I had to calibrate the **** out of it and it isn't very noticeable now but does happen at times. Love the tv and wouldn't trade it.....except for the new 80" Sharp LED TV

I bought a 70" Sharp Quattron LED TV which is 120hz and it has some motion blur thrown down field and pucks flying across the screen. I had to calibrate the **** out of it and it isn't very noticeable now but does happen at times. Love the tv and wouldn't trade it.....except for the new 80" Sharp LED TV

But TVs don't need to be calibrated, TV genius chipwhich told me so :rolleyes:

I already said that for THIS GUY it doesn't make sense for a 120Hz TV.

Then why did you argue with me in the first place :ols:

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 11:23 AM ----------

But TVs don't need to be calibrated, TV genius chipwhich told me so :rolleyes:

I never said that. If you are getting into the LARGER tv's like a 70" then it's a consideration.

Picture quality becomes more noticeable the larger they get. He is getting into an entry level 32" tv. No need to pay $100's of dollars to calibrate it.

Then why did you argue with me in the first place :ols:

We were discussing your Phillips 60Hz set that you said looked better than your 120Hz Samsung set. Anyways, we've gone way off the topic and it looks like the OP knows what to look for now. Although he's probably confused as hell as to what happened in his thread.

Out of curiosity, what's the size on the Phillips set?

Almost everyone agrees that plasma TVs offer the best picture quality. All this 120Hz, 240Hz, 1080p talk is just a distractor trying to make up for the shortcomings of LCD TVs. The fact is that the major choice you are going to make is plasma vs. LCD vs. LED. It is almost a universal fact that LCDs look worse than the other 2. Almost everyone agrees on that. IMO, you should grab the biggest plasma TV that fits within your budget - ignore the 720p, 1080p, 120Hz talk. A good 50" 720p plasma is going to look better than all but a very few 1080p LCDs, simply due to the inherent deficiencies in LCDs. The guy who pointed you to 42" plasma from Crutchfield for $549 was right on the money - that's probably an excellent TV. Amazon also has 42" plasmas from Panasonic for around $500 with free shipping. Those are good moves for you. Just be careful when you're setting the TV up because plasmas are deceptively heavy.

Almost everyone agrees that plasma TVs offer the best picture quality. All this 120Hz, 240Hz, 1080p talk is just a distractor trying to make up for the shortcomings of LCD TVs. The fact is that the major choice you are going to make is plasma vs. LCD vs. LED. It is almost a universal fact that LCDs look worse than the other 2. Almost everyone agrees on that. IMO, you should grab the biggest plasma TV that fits within your budget - ignore the 720p, 1080p, 120Hz talk. A good 50" 720p plasma is going to look better than all but a very few 1080p LCDs, simply due to the inherent deficiencies in LCDs. The guy who pointed you to 42" plasma from Crutchfield for $549 was right on the money - that's probably an excellent TV. Amazon also has 42" plasmas from Panasonic for around $500 with free shipping. Those are good moves for you. Just be careful when you're setting the TV up because plasmas are deceptively heavy.

Like I said, be careful with those entry level Plasmas. The picture on them (especially the sharpness) is not up to par. And if he's looking for a TV smaller than 42" then a Plasma isn't gonna be an option.

Ok, so all insults aside.

Slacky,

Last week my 50" LCD 1080I TV bought in 2006 died. Repair guy told me that it would be $800 to fix. Obviously I'm now in the market for a new TV. I would like to replace it with something around the same size, spending between $1000-$1500 bucks. I don't like 3D, it hurts my eyes. The room its going into gets a fair amount of light as we have a very open floor plan.

So, LCD, Plasma, LED? Can you talk a little about each of these.

Thank you for your time!

Ok, so all insults aside.

Slacky,

Last week my 50" LCD 1080I TV bought in 2006 died. Repair guy told me that it would be $800 to fix. Obviously I'm now in the market for a new TV. I would like to replace it with something around the same size, spending between $1000-$1500 bucks. I don't like 3D, it hurts my eyes. The room its going into gets a fair amount of light as we have a very open floor plan.

So, LCD, Plasma, LED? Can you talk a little about each of these.

Thank you for your time!

50'' panasonic plasma my friend

Thanks for all of the input. My installation will be in my family room which gets sun from sun rise until late afternoon. Being on Pacific time, Redskins games usually start @ 10:00 A.M. and even with the blinds closed I still get a fair amount of natural light so to me I don't think a plasma would be my best choice. My family room isn't that large, I'm in a 1500 square foot house, so it's not a big place either. Here is what I don't want to do, I don't want to purchase some crappy brand that's high on features but either doesn't deliver performance wise on the streaming/internet stuff or has a crappy picture or will reflect a lot of light.

I can purchase a new TV stand as I do have a credit at a furniture store about 40 minutes away from me. I'm limited to a 32" though if I want to keep my current setup. I can, however, put the TV on top of my entertainment center until I can make it down there to purchase the new TV stand and I should be able to get a pretty nice one for $300.00 I have there.

If that clarifies anything, I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks to those of you who've already done so.

We were discussing your Phillips 60Hz set that you said looked better than your 120Hz Samsung set. Anyways, we've gone way off the topic and it looks like the OP knows what to look for now. Although he's probably confused as hell as to what happened in his thread.

Out of curiosity, what's the size on the Phillips set?

The Phillips is a 50 or a 52" set, I can't remember.

None of my sets have been professionally calibrated.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

Thanks for all of the input. My installation will be in my family room which gets sun from sun rise until late afternoon. Being on Pacific time, Redskins games usually start @ 10:00 A.M. and even with the blinds closed I still get a fair amount of natural light so to me I don't think a plasma would be my best choice. My family room isn't that large, I'm in a 1500 square foot house, so it's not a big place either. Here is what I don't want to do, I don't want to purchase some crappy brand that's high on features but either doesn't deliver performance wise on the streaming/internet stuff or has a crappy picture or will reflect a lot of light.

I can purchase a new TV stand as I do have a credit at a furniture store about 40 minutes away from me. I'm limited to a 32" though if I want to keep my current setup. I can, however, put the TV on top of my entertainment center until I can make it down there to purchase the new TV stand and I should be able to get a pretty nice one for $300.00 I have there.

If that clarifies anything, I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks to those of you who've already done so.

One of the biggest cons I have heard of on the plasma's is the screen can have a lot of glare. I had a glare problem on an old DLP tv, it's very annoying. Not sure if any of the plasma get around this issue. Since you are in a sunny room.....

The Phillips is a 50 or a 52" set, I can't remember.

None of my sets have been professionally calibrated.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

One of the biggest cons I have heard of on the plasma's is the screen can have a lot of glare. I had a glare problem on an old DLP tv, it's very annoying. Not sure if any of the plasma get around this issue. Since you are in a sunny room.....

glare is only an issue in a very sunny room.

however, if you watch a plasma from an angle there is absolutely no picture fade whereas there is significant fading on LCD's when viewed from an angle.

just something else the OP should consider if his setup requires people to watch from an angle.

Thanks all. I found a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD 1080P 120Hz on sale for under $500.00. I have a couple of people, including my Dad, who purchased these Aquos based on reviews/consumer reports, I'm just wondering why this one would be so affordable if the Sharp Aquos TVs are all that they're made out to be. It's, I think, around $470.00 for this TV.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SP101A10600S3049117401P?prdNo=2&blockNo=52&blockType=G52

Thanks all. I found a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD 1080P 120Hz on sale for under $500.00. I have a couple of people, including my Dad, who purchased these Aquos based on reviews/consumer reports, I'm just wondering why this one would be so affordable if the Sharp Aquos TVs are all that they're made out to be. It's, I think, around $470.00 for this TV.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SP101A10600S3049117401P?prdNo=2&blockNo=52&blockType=G52

It's all throwaway technology. Prices are sinking fast. Buy it and don't look back. New sets coming with more "features".

However, plasmas also use about 3 times the energy of an LCD and aren't as good in bright rooms. There are still good reasons to buy an LCD.

my personal advice is that most customers dont need/dont know how to fully utilize all of the bells and whistles on the expensive tvs. and the price difference is hundreds of dollars.

this is what i got 4 months ago for about $550 and it has gone above and beyond my expectations, especially at that price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/1735079.p?id=1218322059439&skuId=1735079&st=46l780a12&cp=1&lp=1

insignia 46" 120 hz 1080 p LCD HDTV

the only issue i have with it is that the audio is weak, but this is true of nearly all flat screens. a simple set of speakers corrects the issue easily.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

:ols:

I stand by my opinion, if he is going from a 24" tv, any tv he buys he will be thrilled with whatever he gets. Don't run up the price on him for nonsense.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp#fbid=NRyyrq0wAAi

i agree 100%. its not really going to matter unless you are already anal about such things. i have a friend who always has to have the latest gadgets. he spent prolly 4 times what i spent on my tv.

and when i watch movies on his tv, the difference is pratically nonexistent. (though he does have a 3d tv).

I like Sharp TV's. I own 2 myself. A 46" Aquos LCD which I bought about 3-4 years ago for $500 for my bedroom and a 70" LED TV Sharp Aquos Quattron for my living room that I bought about 2 months ago. I think $470 is a good price and I think you'll be happy with it.

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. The only problem I can find with the one from Sears is that I have to order it online and can't see it in person which for me is somewhat of an issue but I'm always questioning anything I buy for myself and not the kids so I just need to get something and get it over with. I'd like to have it for this weekend. Anyone bought a TV from Amazon and how was that experience?

I recently purchased a 52 inch Sharp AQOUS Quattron LED/LCD

It's probably the best TV I have ever had.

I dont really use the Internet stuff that came with it, but connected to FIOS HD and running a Samsung Crystal Surround Air Track, its a pretty solid system.

I strongly recommend the Sharp Aquos Quattron series. My friend has the same TV, but 60 inch, and he loves it as well.

Ive never had any problems with blur and have never calibrated it, I dont even know how to calibrate it.

I do recommend using a high end HDMI cable, a high end COAX cable and a high end OPTICAL cable though.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

And, I buy most of my TV's at Sears, you can negotiate the price there, like its a car. Got the TV, the Samsung sound system, and a Samsung Blu ray player, all for under $1500. The TV listed at like $1499 when i got the deal, like 3 months ago.

What do you think of this set since you've had it a few months. I've got my eye on one.

I love it!!! Its huge and the picture is great. I highly recommend it. With this set, you have to really play around with the settings/calibrate it because it comes out of the box looking like crap. If you do get it, check out AVSforum as they have threads specific to this TV and what settings everyone is using. That way you can play around to your liking. It has soooo many color settings it crazy and I think that is just Sharps in general. Sharp did just come out with an 80 inch version of the same tv but its $5,000. Makes my TV look small now lool

Oh and if any of you are looking for a soundbar, I highly recommend the Yamaha YSP-4100. This thing is a beast. I have one hooked up wo my 70" LED and it really does sound like a home theater system. I wanted this so I didn't have to run wires all over the place and it looks good to boot. It is a very big sound bar but has 42 speakers in it. Only downside, it cost a pretty penny

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 03:48 PM ----------

With this set, you have to really play around with the settings/calibrate it because it comes out of the box looking like crap

How do you calibrate it? Are you talking AV MODE? Or VIEW MODE?

well sort of, you probably want to calibrate each of your different modes (AV, Movie, user, blah blah blah). I'm no videophile but I recommend trying to find settings of what other people are using on forums such as AVSforum. You can also purchase DVD's that assist you in calibrating your tv and they work pretty well. A lot of people will just take a tv out of the box and not play with the settings as they are content with how it looks out of the box or are scared to mess around with it but a proper calibration you get the full greatness of the picture the TV is really intended for. Keep in mind if you try someone elses settings of the same tv and think it sucks, its probably because no two sets are exactly a like as well as user preference. It took me about a good 3-4 days playing around with different settings until I was very happy with what I had.

Archived