Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Need HDTV/LCD/LED TV Help Please

redskns21

Hey All,

I know this seems pretty lame and outdated, but after all I am a single Dad of 2 kids so I am just now able to put together enough money to get an LCD TV. My budget is at most $700.00, my preference would be $550.00 if at all possible. I am currently watching 'Skins games ona Sony 24" TV and with the cropping of the picture, I can barely see what's going on. Anyhow, I work in IT, however I haven't been keeping up with the TV trends. I know/think that maybe a 32" Samsung LED TV that would fit my furniture would be nice but I don't want to sell myself short. I have DirecTV, I will get the HD DVR once I've upgraded and I have a subscription to Netflix that I might like to use someday. I'm a NFL watcher, I don't do much gaming and I enjoy movies here and there from my DTV service. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Would going with a Samsung 32" LED TV that's in my budget be a good route or would a 40" Samsung 1080P 120Hz be better?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I know Slacky will disagree with me, but....

I have 7 flat panel LCD's in my house. My basement looks like MTV cribs. I have 60 Mhz tv's and 120 Mhx tv's. My best TV is a Phillips 60 Mhz tv. I have Samsung 120's. Maybe its the room it's in, I don't know.

The truth is it depends on the room.

TV's, although Slacky disagrees, have become throwaway technology. Buy the tv that best fits your budget. You wont be disappointed in a $550 tv if you are watching anything 24".

Why pay a premium when a year from now, whatever you buy, will be cheaper than what you pay today. Anyone saying there is a HUGE difference in a 60 Hz tv and a 240 Hz tv is just a salesman.

If you have a good HD signal, you wont be disappointed in a 60 Hz.

TV's, although Slacky disagrees, have become throwaway technology.

Nope, the average household buys a TV every 3-5 years. And with how fast technology changes, they have become throwaway technology. Which is why I recommend base line LED and mid range Plasmas to people. Especially in this case when the budget is lower and there's no need for a large TV.

Like you said it all depends on the room and seating situation. But in your situation, I'd get a regular 32" Samsung/Sony LCD (720p and 60 Hz) and save yourself a good amount of money. There's no need for the 1080p cause the screen size is too small for you to notice the difference, and adding the 120 Hz processor will put you out of your budget. You could probably get a 40" LCD for around $500 as well close to Black Friday/Christmas. 1080p and 60Hz would suffice on that as well. Shoot me a PM if you have any model questions.

Plasma for a room with little light all of the time.

LCD or LED TV for much brighter rooms.

Plasma will give you much deeper and richer color - I have a 60" Panasonic I got 4 years ago and never had any problems with it. Also have a 43" plasma for the basement and the kids play xbox 360 on it. Both of these TV are 1080p - don't get anything less than that.

Also let's not forget about 3D tv's as well - these TV also give you better 2D then other TV's from what I being told.

Now back to what you can get for around $700:

Plasma/ 3D - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+42%22+Class+/+Plasma+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV/2120283.p?id=1218310003974&skuId=2120283

LCD - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+46%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/2843055.p?id=1218356321299&skuId=2843055

LED - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+46%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/2843055.p?id=1218356321299&skuId=2843055

Hope that helps. :)

Anyone saying there is a HUGE difference in a 60 Hz tv and a 240 Hz tv is just a salesman.

And this is complete crap, you see most video is recorded at 24p (or 24fps). Now when your TV refreshes at 60hz there isn't an equal division, but with 120Hz and 240Hz it works out perfectly. The issue is that cable companies continue to broadcast in 60hz and that's what leads to the pixel lag. If you're watching a bluray(recorded at 24p and processed at 120Hz), there's a clearcut difference between the two.

Also, don't try speaking for me. You come off looking like a bigger dumb ass than usual when you do.

And this is complete crap, you see most video is recorded at 24p (or 24fps). Now when your TV refreshes at 60hz there isn't an equal division, but with 120Hz and 240Hz it works out perfectly. The issue is that cable companies continue to broadcast in 60hz and that's what leads to the pixel lag. If you're watching a bluray(recorded at 24p and processed at 120Hz), there's a clearcut difference between the two.

Also, don't try speaking for me. You come off looking like a bigger dumb ass than usual when you do.

Nice insult.

Truth hurts?

I wasn't insulting you, I just explained the truth is if you are on a 24" TV and say a 240 vs a 60 is a huge difference, well then you are just not being truthful.

But I am a dumbass, and don't know what I see in person ;)

Nice insult.

Truth hurts?

I wasn't insulting you, I just explained the truth is if you are on a 24" TV and say a 240 vs a 60 is a huge difference, well then you are just not being truthful.

But I am a dumbass, and don't know what I see in person ;)

On a 24" TV, yes you're correct. But to say that as a general rule is downright stupid.

So I think were in agreement here. A 32-40" LCD that's 1080p should be perfect for him, depending on viewing distance.

On a 24" TV, yes you're correct. But to say that as a general rule is downright stupid.

So I think were in agreement here. A 32-40" LCD that's 1080p should be perfect for him, depending on viewing distance.

I might be stupid (another insult) but I don't work at Sears and I am a consumer of technology.

So saying he would be a fool to listen to someone stupid and buying a 240 mhz would greatly enhance is $$$$ spending is dishonest. I have the tv's. A 240 mhz vs a 120 mhz is left for the videophile, not the idiots like me.

So saying he would be a fool to listen to someone stupid and buying a 240 mhz would greatly enhance is $$$$ spending is dishonest. I have the tv's. A 240 mhz vs a 120 mhz is left for the videophile, not the idiots like me.

The only time the 240Hz is necessary is with 3DTV, everything else 120Hz is fine.

Here's the deal, as much as you want to think I'm some sort of unethical salesman who only wants to make money for himself and just rips off consumers, that's not the case. You seem to have this preformed conception of who I am and how I think, which I find hilarious.

The only time the 240Hz is necessary is with 3DTV, everything else 120Hz is fine.

Here's the deal, as much as you want to think I'm some sort of unethical salesman who only wants to make money for himself and just rips off consumers, that's not the case. You seem to have this preformed conception of who I am and how I think, which I find hilarious.

I don't think that at all. Thats the funny thing.

I think you fall into the marketing hype of TV's and miss the real truth.

He can get a 60 mhz tv and be happy without dealing without all the garbage which is new technology that doesn't get him anything.

If your spiel is a 120 mhz tv is significantly better than a 60, then you are either dishonest or you aren't aware of how the sets look in the home....or maybe naive????

I don't think that at all. Thats the funny thing.

I think you fall into the marketing hype of TV's and miss the real truth.

He can get a 60 mhz tv and be happy without dealing without all the garbage which is new technology that doesn't get him anything.

If your spiel is a 120 mhz tv is significantly better than a 60, then you are either dishonest or you aren't aware of how the sets look in the home....or maybe naive????

So you honestly think that 60Hz is better than 120Hz? I have a 60Hz LCD and a 120Hz LCD in my house, the 120Hz is MUCH nicer. There's really no arguing the technology and math behind it, but keep thinking that your 60" Phillips is the best TV out there.

Now in the case of the OP, yes that's the case. But the OP isn't every consumer who needs a TV.

So you honestly think that 60Hz is better than 120Hz? I have a 60Hz LCD and a 120Hz LCD in my house, the 120Hz is MUCH nicer. There's really no arguing the technology and math behind it, but keep thinking that your 60" Phillips is the best TV out there.

Now in the case of the OP, yes that's the case. But the OP isn't every consumer who needs a TV.

I am just saying my 60 Mhz looks better than my 120 Mhz. But I am not selling for Sears. I am just stating my case for my situation.

I have no skin in the game.

I am just saying my 60 Mhz looks better than my 120 Mhz. But I am not selling for Sears. I am just stating my case for my situation.

I have no skin in the game.

Then either A, your 120Hz TV isn't properly tuned and calibrated or B there's a signal drop off near the the 120Hz TV. There's no reason the Samsung should look worse than the Phillips.

Then either A, your 120Hz TV isn't properly tuned and calibrated or B there's a signal drop off near the the 120Hz TV. There's no reason the Samsung should look worse than the Phillips.

I'll call Sears tomorrow and ask them to calibrate my TV ;)

You made my point for me.

As I suspected the 120hz and above don't do much as the hype behind marketing them making people believe they are better than 60hz. So if you do a little research and in this article it clearly shows that 120hz should not be a deal breaker. This is why I said 1080p and not Hz. Anyways, Slacky you lose and chipwhich wins in this case and the OP as well:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp#fbid=hfRY9t6V0TZ

As I suspected the 120hz and above don't do much as the hype behind marketing them making people believe they are better than 60hz. So if you do a little research and in this article it clearly shows that 120hz should not be a deal breaker. This is why I said 1080p and not Hz. Anyways, Slacky you lose and chipwhich wins in this case and the OP as well:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp#fbid=hfRY9t6V0TZ

I'd say for the average person that would be the case, but I myself don't like the hockey puck on my TV turning in to a giant black blur as it moves. Now the 240Hz is pure hype. Also, it's at the point where the price difference between the two is less than $100. And most manufacturers don't even make a 60Hz LCD above 40". The 120hz processor has taken over the market and is now standard. If you're looking at a larger TV, you might as well go with it.

I'd say for the average person that would be the case, but I myself don't like the hockey puck on my TV turning in to a giant black blur as it moves. Now the 240Hz is pure hype. Also, it's at the point where the price difference between the two is less than $100. And most manufacturers don't even make a 60Hz LCD above 40". The 120hz processor has taken over the market and is now standard. If you're looking at a larger TV, you might as well go with it.

Slacky, there is no blur of a hockey puck on my 60. I watch hockey all the time. More hype.

why are you guys talking about 60 hz and 120hz. Get a whopping 600hz from a plasma :pfft:

You realize Plasma's aren't actually 600Hz, right?

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

Slacky, there is no blur of a hockey puck on my 60. I watch hockey all the time. More hype.

Then you either don't care or you're not looking hard enough.

You realize Plasma's aren't actually 600Hz, right?

Yes I'm aware. It was joking since we are throwing out numbers. But Plasma is by far better in the motion blur category. I agree 60hz is blurry on fast moving pucks or footballs that are thrown down field. Not sure what chipwich is talking about

Then you either don't care or you're not looking hard enough.

:ols: You sound like a bad tv salesman. I can assure you I am not watching blurry pucks :ols:

Here is a nice little summation article.

I stand by my opinion, if he is going from a 24" tv, any tv he buys he will be thrilled with whatever he gets. Don't run up the price on him for nonsense.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp#fbid=NRyyrq0wAAi

Archived