Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe that John Beck is now the starting QB for the Washington Redskins?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With his extension, we have to see what Beck brings to the table. We cannot go all season without finding that out and it will suck to only find out if we are out of the running for the playoffs. Let him play, Rex is on a one year deal and has enough of a sample size to see he is guaranteed to have 1 or more turnovers a game. We will draft a QB and/or sign another vet in the offseason period so lets see what Beck has!

Throwing 4 picks in one game is a bad game - check.

Throwing 2 picks in a game is not a bad game - check.

Coach, what about 3 picks? We haven't experienced that yet. When that happens, is it counted as a good or bad game? Does it matter if Rex just underthrew it or not? What if it's in the Red Zone? What about Qb rating? Did the QB have a bad game if the rating is under 85 or do only QB ratings under 50 count as bad? Do I hear 60?

If Rex throws the ball into a forest of defensive backs but really doesn't pay any attention to it, and it gets intercepted, but it wasn't in the Red Zone, but the Skins win, does that count as bad?

Man, it's hard to follow what's good and bad without the checksheet and a point system.

I have given this some more thought this morning, and have arrived at some different ideas. I think this situation is a real possibility.

We all know Mike benches Rex in the 2nd half of Sunday's game, and starts Beck. Mike may realize that Rex is not cutting it, but is not sure now is the right time to bench him permanently. The team is 3-2 and still in the hunt for the Division. Mike is a smart coach, and he knows a decision to bench Rex could divide the locker room. A solution for this, is to give Rex one more shot to prove him wrong, and there are three possibilities.

1.) Rex has a great game, and removes all doubt. Awesome!

2.) Rex has a horrible game, and is benched again. Now the rest of the team would have no choice but to feel as though he gave Rex every opportunity, even giving him one more chance after benching him the week before, and probably most of the players get behind the decision to start Beck.

3.) Rex has an average/slightly below average game, but doesn't make any mind-boggling mistakes that give Mike enough ammo to pull him. Hence, Rex is safe for one more week. Does he survive another horrible performance? Probably not.

Right now, I'm not sure I would go as far as to say Grossman will likely be starting, but if he does the above is probably why.

my thoughts exactly, but put in to words more clearly....I'm pretty sure that's how its goin down, but I guess we will find out tomorrow from Head Coach

I voted no because Grossman really is not that bad. Kyle Shanahan is the real problem. We need to rely on the run not Grossman's arm. Grossman can be a weapon when he is not the focal point of the offense. He throws a very good ball and if we had stuck to the run whether it worked at first or not he could have made alot of high percentage throws instead of forcing the ball coming from behind

I voted no because Grossman really is not that bad. Kyle Shanahan is the real problem. We need to rely on the run not Grossman's arm. Grossman can be a weapon when he is not the focal point of the offense. He throws a very good ball and if we had stuck to the run whether it worked at first or not he could have made alot of high percentage throws instead of forcing the ball coming from behind

well you have to consider that our DEF let Vick drive and score almost at will in the 1st qtr, they even admitted to coming out flat and low energy. HOW does that happen in a game so huge after 2 weeks of buildup? It forced us in to the catch up throw throw throw game that you mentioned Kyle got us playing. Should we have just stayed conservative and kept running it hoping that the Eagles run DEF would just open up to us? I think the Eagles came inspired to crush our run cuz that's what everyone knew we wanted to do. We were coming off some running game success and the Eagles were looking terrible at stopping the run....I'm sure the Eagles game planned for this and clearly did a better job than us at executing. But I'm not making excuses for Kyle, I think he still thinks he has Schaub or something behind center. After last game we should game plan to never put Rex in that situation again. If we get behind, mix it up. When Rex thinks he needs to save the day in one play he makes terrible decisions. Short passes, screens, Moss cutbacks, Fred Davis looked great except when involved with INTs, etc. just mid range chunks of yardage at a time....it eats up the clock, it moves the chains....i guess Kyle just loves goin long with Rex too much.

well you have to consider that our DEF let Vick drive and score almost at will in the 1st qtr' date=' they even admitted to coming out flat and low energy. HOW does that happen in a game so huge after 2 weeks of buildup? It forced us in to the catch up throw throw throw game that you mentioned Kyle got us playing. Should we have just stayed conservative and kept running it hoping that the Eagles run DEF would just open up to us?.[/quote']

I understand your perspective and I agree with most of it. I just remember seeing a stat during the game that said the eagles had the ball 18 minutes to our 6 minutes. Im not saying I expected them to only run the ball but Kyle pretty much aired it out. I just see a huge contrast in Kyle offense and Mikes offense.

If we kept running the ball and eating up clock that gives the eagles offense time to get cold on the bench. It also gives out defense time to catch the breath. When you throw the ball and its an incompletion the clock stops and the eagles just had more time to sustain longs drives and control the tempo

If Grossman remains the starter for Sunday's game against Carolina, then everything Shanahan said in the off-season was clearly a lie, meaning that Beck really isn't as good as Shanahan made him out to be. If you stick with a quarterback who has turned the ball over, what, 17 or 18 times in 8 starts, then I wouldn't say that that is giving your team the best opportunity to succeed, unless......unless, of course, the alternative at quarterback would be no better. The defense looked pathetic in the first half, but adjustments were made and they held the Eagles scoreless the rest of the game while Grossman damn-near single handedly made all of those adjustments irrelevant.

i picked yes but honestly i would not be surprised at all if Mike S starts Rex. today is raining hard so another day that the QB, whoever it is, will have a tough time practicing correctly. That might put Beck at a disadvantage and give more ammo to Mike to start Rex.

Bottom line guys I was so against Brunell when Gibbs kept starting him. I really thought if he gave Ramsey a few more games to work thru his INT issues he would have been much better than noodle arm Brunell. Head coaches have their favorites and we as fans are too quick to judge sometimes. In this case however I just can't see what upside Rex has to Beck, especially with the OL being banged up.

It's obvious he is! He has the bigger upside plus the whole "Unknown" factor helps go along with the whole Rebuilding thing Beck is the starter unless the Shannys want Dc to riot in this *****! To me it's simple play the QB who has the stronger arm,is more mobile. Imagine how bad we will tank if Rex continues to be the starter? Every home game when he stinks it up Beck chants will start early. Do we really think that RG or any team can, or will be an successful team under those circumstances? Booing and chanting for the Back up after every bad play or pass? This is the reason why we will start Beck

I could not agree more, As a fan of the Skins, I will not continue to watch RG litterally STINK UP our stadium when there is CLEARLY, now I would'nt go as far to say overal better QB on the sideline but, why would'nt you give JB a chance to show what he can do. We clearly know that RG will throw at least (2) two picks a game, fumble at least (2) two times a game folks, thats just not acceptable in this league if you are trying to win. Look folks, I'am not speaking for anyone but myself here but, if RG starts again this year I will not watch or support that move, nor will I continue to watch what I consider the most horrible QB in the HISTORY of our franchise. Thats just how I feel personally

You realize it's very difficult to run without a respectable passing game right?

Other teams don't respect Grossman.

Honestly.

It's getting to the point of nausea.

Some of you guys need to go kick your fathers in the shins for how badly they taught you about football.

~Bang

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

For the life of me I cannot understand why it is so important to be "The Starter". Cannot they be used alternately? It might just keep the opponents guessing. Can anyone explain any logic behind announcing "The Starter"

There's a lot of reasons, but in just the terms of the game itself..

As a game unfolds the players on the field begin to notice trends and cues from the other team.

There's no way to see what they see from the sidelines, and there's no way to impart what the QB sees to the other QB in the midst of the game. There's simply too much data to process in a small amount of time.

When you bring in the other guy, he comes in cold, with no idea what the other guy has already seen and begun to incorporate into his approach to each and every play.

A recveiver can go tell another receiver what he's noticing from the CB and safeties he's seeing.. coverage idiosyncracies .. how a certain move is getting some separation.. but the QB sees so much more on a much broader scale than the other positions.

I knew as soon as Beck came in that Rex was not playing this week. You simply don't do that. Rex's confidence is damaged, it will lead him to question everything he does, he will play tight if he feels he may be yanked. It's embarrassing to a man to be so publicly stripped down.

You need a QB to play with abandon, and not worry about who is looking over his shoulder. It's simply too much to think about on the field without adding that pressure to them.

~Bang

Honestly.

It's getting to the point of nausea.

Some of you guys need to go kick your fathers in the shins for how badly they taught you about football.

First off, I dont appreciate your lack of insight when berating my opinion as you provided no tangible evidence as to why my opinion is wrong except to blame it on my upbringing. Random quips and reactions like that on this board is why I read more than post.

Also, I am not an advocate of Rex Grossman. I am simply insisting that regardless of which quarterback is in the game the same problems are going to continue as long as the playing calling on offense is imbalanced.

Look Bang, I understand that a team game plans for their opponent. If you are going against a quarterback who has a history of turnovers you are going to commit to stopping the run and blitzing to keep the quarterback and the play caller as far away from their comfort zone as possible. The problem that I have with the Redskins offense is that if the team expects us to run, then we should run the ball. Why? Their game plan is that you abandon the run(your strength) and force the throw on long 2nd and 3rd downs that has a lower percentage of success.

So maybe the opponent stops the run early and we get a couple three & outs but in every game there is always a tipping point where the defense wears out and we start beating them on higher percentage throws that eat up 8-9 yards at a time, because we did not give up on the run.

Once you make a couple of these intermediate/higher percentage passes based off your run first game plan, the defense has to decide whether to drop a Linebacker on an athletic TE like Fred Davis or commit to staying with the run. This is the way Redskins football will win games.

Last, you might say well, the eagles were scoring on every drive in the first half so we had to do something. Well, we have a top 5 caliber defense that shut out the eagles in the 2nd half, but we had already abandoned the run the eagles defense had a field day.

Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell, John Beck, Kyle Orton, etc.. any mid level talent quarterbacks will never win games with this type of playing.

Archived