Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Dan Wheldon Dies Following Crash

AsburySkinsFan

Rest in peace, and may we send our prayers for his family.

rpm_u_crashts_600.jpg

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7111712/dan-wheldon-dies-following-indycar-crash-vegas

Officials decided to call the race, but the drivers planned a five-lap tribute to Wheldon. IndyCar Series CEORandy Bernard made the officials announcmeent of Wheldon's death without further comment.

"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," Bernard said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race. In honor of Dan Wheldon, the drivers have decided to do a five-lap salute to in his honor."

Wheldon, 33 and the 2005 series champion from Emberton, England, was competing in only his third IndyCar race of the season, trying to win the event and earn a $5 million bonus that was part of a league promotion for drivers who didn't compete full-time in the series this year.

Wheldon was the only driver to accept the challenge. This year's Indy 500 was the second time Wheldon had won the prestigious event. He also won it in 2005.

Wheldon was expected to replace Danica Patrick next season in the Go-Daddy-sponsored car for Andretti Autosport.

Patrick is moving to NASCAR full-time in 2012.

Wheldon raced for Michael Andretti's team previously from 2003 through 2005 when he won the championship. Wheldon won 16 races in his nine-year IndyCar career.

Terry Blount is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Sn08nh7zoto

Video from adam@section118, thanks

I'm physically sick. I'm not really an IndyCar fan, but I'm a huge NASCAR fan, and I've seen entirely too many lives lost on the track. I hold my breath every time there's a crash. Waiting for that window net to drop, indicating the driver is OK, or in IndyCar, hearing the driver radio in, or climb out of the car. When those things don't happen, the sinking feeling is just overwhelming. There may be casual fans out there who "just watch for the crashes," but those of us who are passionate about these sports wish they'd never happen. We know what the result can be.

I had an immense amount of respect for Dan, as I do for anyone willing to literally put his or her life on the line weekly, for my entertainment. He seemed very genuine. He seemed to love life, and love his living. He was respected by his fellow drivers as a clean, hard racer, and a champion.

I pray that God will bless and keep Dan, comfort his family and friends, and the racing world during this time of loss and sorrow. May this be the last time we ever have to mourn the loss of a racer.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111015/SPORTS0107/110150350/Wheldon-ready-drive-Patrick-s-car-next-year

LAS VEGAS -- Dan Wheldon strolled into IndyCar's Thursday night poolside hobnob and stole the show. Trendy white T-shirt. Confident smile. A can't-miss look with a beautiful family.

Go, daddy.

At any moment, Wheldon figures to be named Danica Patrick's replacement in Andretti Autosport's splashy No. 7 car. Given GoDaddy's energy for marketing, it will be the perfect platform for the reigning and two-time Indianapolis 500 winner with mainstream potential.

Seldom has the sport seen a transformation like this. Less than a year ago, Wheldon was left along IndyCar's roadside, unemployed, mostly unwanted and tagged with the oval-track label in a schedule rich with road courses. How would he rebound? Could he?

The 2005 series champion with strained departures from the Ganassi and Panther teams disagrees with the assessment, but he was running low on good options. Put it this way: His choice of IndyCar rides for the 2011 season was with a Firestone Indy Lights team with just a single IndyCar start, a 23rd-place finish in the previous year's 500.

But Wheldon and Bryan Herta Autosport made it work, winning the 500 with the help of Sam Schmidt Motorsports and its engineer at the time, Allen McDonald. Wheldon's stock hasn't stopped rising since.

Positive media exposure came from testing IndyCar's new car, then IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard chose him for a run at a $5 million bonus in Sunday's Izod World Championship at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

That Wheldon already has hit the jackpot is only part of the story. That he appreciates the comeback is why he has become a fan favorite.

"I honestly think (setbacks) teach you to enjoy the good times," he said. "Up until that point, everything had always been good for me. Then I had a difficult part of my career.

"It's come full circle and I've enjoyed it, but you never know. It could change again very quickly in this business."

Wheldon said final details of his Andretti deal still are being worked out, and the timing of a resolution "depends on Michael (Andretti)."

Andretti has been ready to bring Wheldon back since Patrick confirmed her move to NASCAR full time. He said in August that Wheldon was his priority, and he hasn't deviated.

Andretti enjoyed working with Wheldon from 2003-05, including their 500 win and series championship in the final year together, but he's an even bigger fan of Wheldon now.

Wheldon, he said, has become a more mature man through a 2008 marriage to Susie Behm. They have two sons, and the stability has allowed him to improve his approach to fitness, driving and, well, everything.

"He's grown up," Andretti said.

Winning Indy for the second time, along with his summer stint as a television analyst during IndyCar races, has pushed him into the public spotlight like never before, Andretti said.

"His personality has not changed one bit, but he's become the type of guy everyone wants to be around," Andretti said. "I know it's been hard for him not to be racing, but being on TV has allowed people to get to know him and see why it's so easy to like him.

"It's amazing what winning the Indy 500 for a second time has done for him."

Herta wanted Wheldon to return, but his small team couldn't muster the resources. Still, he appreciates the lift Wheldon provided.

"There's probably not anyone (in IndyCar) who wouldn't like to have him at the Speedway," Herta said. "We'd like to have him anywhere because he brought so much leadership to our team.

"I don't know what people thought of him before (May), but if nothing else, you can't question his commitment."

Wheldon insists that joining Herta's team prior to the 500 wasn't a difficult choice. Friendships and trust are that important, he said.

"I knew that Bryan would do everything that he could, and at the end of the day, that's all you can ask for," he said. "I think sometimes you're better to go with people you know and trust than someone you don't know."

Soon, Wheldon's career will be entrusted to Andretti's Indianapolis-based team. They won 11 races and a series championship the last time around. They seek more of the same.

"I feel that for whatever reason, I've been blessed with a second chance," Wheldon said. "I'm going to make the most of it."

I'm physically sick. I'm not really an IndyCar fan, but I'm a huge NASCAR fan, and I've seen entirely too many lives lost on the track. I hold my breath every time there's a crash. Waiting for that window net to drop, indicating the driver is OK, or in IndyCar, hearing the driver radio in, or climb out of the car. When those things don't happen, the sinking feeling is just overwhelming. There may be casual fans out there who "just watch for the crashes," but those of us who are passionate about these sports wish they'd never happen. We know what the result can be.

I had an immense amount of respect for Dan, as I do for anyone willing to literally put his or her life on the line weekly, for my entertainment. He seemed very genuine. He seemed to love life, and love his living. He was respected by his fellow drivers as a clean, hard racer, and a champion.

I pray that God will bless and keep Dan, comfort his family and friends, and the racing world during this time of loss and sorrow. May this be the last time we ever have to mourn the loss of a racer.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I feel much the same way about racing as you do, I've watched racing and have been passionate about racing nearly all of my life, and to see this makes my stomach turn. I had the opportunity to take in the Kentucky Indy race last year and I was amazed at the cars which drew a whole new level of respect from me for the drivers who get into those rocketships every week. In this day of safety advancements in the cars we get so used to the big crashes and then watching everyone walk away that a death from one of these crashes feels like getting hit with a brick in the head.

May God be with Dan's family, his team and the other drivers who competed against him on the track. The sport has lost a real star, not only from his performance on the track but his character on and off the track. May the grace and mercies of God meet Dan on this day.

May God be with Dan's family, his team and the other drivers who competed against him on the track. The sport has lost a real star, not only from his performance on the track but his character on and off the track. May the grace and mercies of God meet Dan on this day.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between NASCAR and IndyCar?

NASCAR is raced with full-sized "stock" cars. IndyCars are smaller, open-wheeled cars, like in the photos and videos here.

---------- Post added October-16th-2011 at 08:21 PM ----------

NASCAR offers its deepest sympathies and condolences to the family of Dan Wheldon' date=' his teammates, and the entire IndyCar Series community for their tragic loss today. They will be in our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time. - NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France[/quote']

NASCAR's facebook status.

There are good things coming in Indy next year, that hopefully will help prevent another tragedy. They'll be racing a different car, which has the rear wheels partially enclosed, to help avoid that "automatic" crash from touching wheels. Also there are side skirts, kind of like the splitter on a Cup car, and the front wing is wider, to help keep the front tires from contacting the tires on another car. Also, IndyCar has adopted a technology that NASCAR started using with it's latest models, and will begin surrounding the driver compartment with 3" of foam, in an effort to absorb more of the impact, and deflect it away from the driver.

The only thing I don't like is that it's about 150 pounds lighter than the current IndyCars. Which, I would think, makes it more likely to become airborne, should it get spun around. Though I'm sure they've thought of that. Here's a pic, and link to the original story:

indycar2012unveiled.jpg

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/08/19/next-indycar-going-for-faster-lighter-safer-and-cheaper/

He died doing what he loved.

The sad part of this is that I see no reason for cars to be racing back to the line in the case of the crash... it appeared that the fatal crash wasn't the case of a driver loosing control and flipping (ie. Greg Moore), but they were racing back and there was just a freak thing where some cars got together and acted like a ramp for Wheldon to get lifted up into the fence.

May Jesus be with his family at this moment.

If I were the drivers, I would petition to not drive on those ovals anymore. There is just too much speed involved. What an awful wreck.

Agreed, those open wheelers really need to stay on road courses, they are far too prone to spin out with just minor contact, and the drivers are extremely exposed. I'm just honestly surprised that we haven't seen things like this at the Indy 500 before, maybe it has something to do with the track structure and shape that does not allow for this wadding up. Watching the replay I can't help but think of just how much that pack of cars looked like Talladega, but at least with NASCAR the drivers are infinitely more protected.

There are good things coming in Indy next year, that hopefully will help prevent another tragedy. They'll be racing a different car, which has the rear wheels partially enclosed, to help avoid that "automatic" crash from touching wheels. Also there are side skirts, kind of like the splitter on a Cup car, and the front wing is wider, to help keep the front tires from contacting the tires on another car. Also, IndyCar has adopted a technology that NASCAR started using with it's latest models, and will begin surrounding the driver compartment with 3" of foam, in an effort to absorb more of the impact, and deflect it away from the driver.

The only thing I don't like is that it's about 150 pounds lighter than the current IndyCars. Which, I would think, makes it more likely to become airborne, should it get spun around. Though I'm sure they've thought of that. Here's a pic, and link to the original story:

RIP Dan.

That's good to hear bout the new car. I wonder if his head hit the fence? That is probably the most vulnerable part of the driver even with a helmet.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 01:07 PM ----------

If I were the drivers, I would petition to not drive on those ovals anymore. There is just too much speed involved. What an awful wreck.

Maybe time for some restrictor plates? The have too much horsepower in those motors for those small ovall tracks.

RIP Dan.

That's good to hear. I wonder if his head hit the fence? That is probably the most vulnerable part of the driver even with a helmet.

Watching the replay, his car pretty much explodes at it hits the fence, my guess is that it was due to multiple traumas.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 01:20 PM ----------

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between NASCAR and IndyCar?

NASCAR, the car is like a tank compared to an Indy car, massive internal roll cage with wrap around driver's seats that contain the driver, and restrain head movement in the case of a crash

14oldspice.jpg

Indy Car, the driver sits low and is basically in a bathtub with their head completely out of the protection from the car, and from their waist up exposed from the opening, the cars are mostly carbon fiber and are very small compared to a stock car. Basically, the only thing they have in common is that they both have 4 wheels and a driver.

jeffisgr8t-16183307d.jpg

ept_sports_nascar_marbles-473268921-1274718411.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived