Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: New Jersey's Christie to endorse Romney: campaign

visionary

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/11/us-usa-campaign-romney-idUSTRE7945SP20111011

(Reuters) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will back Mitt Romney in the presidential race on Tuesday, a Romney campaign spokesman said.

That would give Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, one of the biggest endorsements as he tries to hold his lead in the race for the Republican nomination.

Christie, who dashed hopes just last week that he would jump into the race himself, was traveling to New Hampshire, where he was due to appear at a news conference with Romney, the spokesman said.

In other news:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/11/us-usa-campaign-debate-idUSTRE79A0NV20111011

Perry under pressure at Republican debate

(Reuters) - Rick Perry hopes to end a string of poor performances and campaign rival Mitt Romney looks to consolidate his newly regained front-runner status at a U.S. presidential debate for Republicans on Tuesday.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/10/8257511-cain-leapfrogs-perry-in-two-national-polls

Cain leapfrogs Perry in two national polls

(read the end of this page and the next couple to see live debate discussion)

(Edit: 11:00 PM EST

Now that there's a debate thread, feel free to move further debate discussion there)

I'm not surprised he did it. I am surprised he did it this early in the process.

Another indication that the guy is more worried about what he thinks is best for the country rather than his future in politics.

Or taking care of his future

Or taking care of his future

Only, if he's right.

The fact of the matter is that it is very very rare for "up and comers" to endorse somebody before a single primary takes place. If you endorse the wrong guy, you can badly screw up your future. At this point in time in either party in a case of a really contested primary, the vast majority of people are saying they don't know, and people with a real future pretty much wait until the ending is clear.

This only works for Christie if one of two things happen:

1. Romney becomes President (then Christie is tied to the winner and in a good position to be VP).

2. Romney loses the Republican nomination, and whoever wins goes onto lose the general election (Then he can come back in 4 years w/ a 'told you so' approach. (and presumably Romney has promised orginational and financial support in the future.))

If Romney wins and then loses or if another Republican becomes President, he's really hurt himself.

That's a pretty big risk to take this far out.

He's either got a lot of guts, a crystal ball, or his political future isn't his primary concern.

The debate is on now on bloomberg (tv channel)...I think.

Gingrich is speaking about prostate cancer testing.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 08:21 PM ----------

I have no idea what the hell Bachman is talkiing about.

(if anyone wants to start a thread on the debate, go ahead)

Michelle Bachmann doesn't have a damn clue about anything.

Why is she still invited to these?

I had a hard time following her last rant.

Apparently the audience did too.

The moderators are fairly critical of the candidates, lol.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 08:48 PM ----------

LMAO! Bachman just said that Cain's plan turned upside down is 666. WTF?

Nice argument. :ols:

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 08:52 PM ----------

Romney not holding punches against China.

Interesting.

Bachman says that Perry spends like Obama.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 09:09 PM ----------

Hermain Cain just walked into a Romney ambush...

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 09:13 PM ----------

Hunstman says that Romney destroys jobs (using an old Huckabee tactic in the form of a question).

I'm not surprised he did it. I am surprised he did it this early in the process.

Another indication that the guy is more worried about what he thinks is best for the country rather than his future in politics.

It's somewhat ironic that a straight-shooting, no-BS guy like Christie would support a guy like Romney. However, when you look at the rest of the field ... I guess it's not that surprising. I kinda wish Christie had run. I find him really interesting and charismatic.

Archived