Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

deadspin.com: Andy Reid Has Lost Philadelphia

http://deadspin.com/5848217/andy-reid-has-lost-philadelphia

Sometimes it happens all at once. After 12 years and almost as many votes of confidence, one day a coach can wake up and everything he's accomplished means nothing, all his team's promise is tacitly promised to his successor.

Philadelphia fans woke up today and checked both their national and local sports news. In both places, right on the front page where they and the rest of the country and Joe Banner and Jeffrey Lurie couldn't possibly miss it, are the surest signs that Reid's green days are numbered. "Blame Andy Reid" goes one headline; "Time to bid Reid bye-bye?" asks the other, the inessential question mark a newspaper's sop to impartiality.

Losing by a single score to a 4-1 team doesn't usually sound the call for rolling heads. But in yesterday's loss at Buffalo, the culprits were three serial killers: Reid's clock management (the Eagles bungled their way out of any points at the end of the first half), Reid's lack of discipline (five turnovers, Juqua Parker's inexcusable offsides penalty on 4th-and-1), and Reid's inexplicable loyalty (after 13 years as an offensive line coach on a team without a particularly great offensive line, Juan Castillo was moved to defensive coordinator, and the Eagles still cannot tackle). Every Philadelphian is a sports talk radio caller today—"I could coach this team better"—and when you're making the same mistakes that everyone predicted out before the game started, your divine mandate has been rescinded.

But losing the fans is one thing, and not a new one...This year, this week, this morning, Andy Reid lost the media. It's not known as widely as it should be, but Reid "had" the media in the same sense that Kim Jong-Il does—through fear and threat. His press conferences are charades of ignored questions and refused answers. In violation of NFL rules, he refuses to make his assistant coaches available after games. Should a writer be critical of the team in a non-team-approved fashion, he's out.

When former Inquirer writer John Gonzalez moved to CSNPhilly.com over the summer, the Eagles approached Comcast and made clear they didn't want Gonzo covering the Eagles in any fashion. Left unsaid: do it or all of CSN's access will suffer. So Gonzalez is off the Eagles beat, and the only person who'd even report the bullying was a gossip columnist. Not for nothing, today's two Reid-bashing pieces came from a national writer and a columnist, folks who don't have to worry about being banned from the locker room.

The real question is if Reid has lost the locker room.

Or the out-of-towner fans *cough*bandwagoners*cough* You know the 18 year old kid in central de who's never even been to philly but claims to love everything philadelphia. The diehards in center city saw through reids bull**** years ago, but now even the bandwagoners who prematurely made plans of talking trash at the local watering hole every sunday between now and february suddenly looks even more the fool for wearing his bull**** kelly green (which of course he's permanently now thrown in the closet, unless they go on a winning streak) every week, and now he's pissed and damn it heads will roll if something doesn't change quick.

EDIT: Did you see this related story at the same link with the story in the OP: http://deadspin.com/5844817/so-heres-what-really-happened-when-a-pair-of-philly-football-writers-got-into-a-fight-today Tempers really are flaring up in philly when reporters start fighting at eagles park :ols: This ****s only getting better by the day and will eventually end up with philly simply blowing itself up Wile E coyote style

It's been looming over the Dream Team ever since Vince Young started calling themselves the Dream Team. First, it was the absurd contract for the limited Vick, then it was the big-ticket free agents, now the bingo caller.

Yes, Redskins fans, we shall soon see the return of that most dreaded of sights...

Swinging%20Gate%20Animation.gif

the Swinging Gate!

Reid's a good coach, but after coaching in on place for so long you need a new voice. I mean Mike Shanahan won two Super Bowls in Denver and he got fired.

I still think it's too early to say the Eagles are done though. Historically their win % in the second half has always been outstanding and there is still a lot of talent on that team.

How long have you been living away from DC? Because the media here sure as hell doesn't give Snyder a pass.

GACOLB,

That's not what I meant, I meant more the attempts to 'control the narrative' with the media, intimidating, threats, lawsuits, etc.

My impression is that the national media is aware of the Snyder v. Local media stuff and thinks it to be anomalous when, apparently Reid is worse (it's one thing to ask JLC to not make something up, another to kick people off beats and have a coach who controls the press room that way.)

Reid's a good coach, but after coaching in on place for so long you need a new voice. I mean Mike Shanahan won two Super Bowls in Denver and he got fired.

I still think it's too early to say the Eagles are done though. Historically their win % in the second half has always been outstanding and there is still a lot of talent on that team.

Mike Shanahan got fired because he wouldn't fire his defensive coordinator.

Archived