Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rushing against Philly

NIGHTHAWK1024

Wish the Eagles allowing an average of 139.5 yards of rushing per game and letting a Hurt Gore and back up RB rush for 100 yards each who is to say that Torain, Hightower and Helu can't all potentially rush for 100 yards each next Sunday? Am I exaggerating or is this possible?

Well, there's a line that I would love to use to help make your case for you, it has to do with the Eagle's defensive line and LB's, the prom, and a female on prom night. Though I shall let you put your imagination as to what I was thinking.

We need to pound the rock the rest of the year, not just a week tomorrow. The longer the ball's kept out of Rex's hands, the better.

Sadly, 'running the football' is a dirty phrase to the boneheaded OC. He's been a lot better this year, but the past two games he's started to revert back to his pass happy, ****y smartness of old. So who the heck knows what he'll do against a porous, injury hit Eagle front. He's just as likely to come out throwing as his want than running.

And Symbol. If the Eagles can't make the above 'date', I believe I'm free that night. :pfft:

Hail.

Wish the Eagles allowing an average of 139.5 yards of rushing per game and letting a Hurt Gore and back up RB rush for 100 yards each who is to say that Torain, Hightower and Helu can't all potentially rush for 100 yards each next Sunday? Am I exaggerating or is this possible?
You're exaggerating.

The running game will be key to our season. If we run effectively against 6 or 7 man fronts, then Defenses will have to put 8 in the box to stop the run. That's when Rex is best and can pick apart defenses, for example the Giants had 8 in the box all game. I see all 3 RB's being involved the rest of the way.

You're exaggerating.

Yeah I know but still we should be close to having all three in triple digits. Seriously if the eagles struggle again against the bills then they will try anything against the Skins.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 05:39 PM ----------

All three rush for 100 yards????!!!??? LOLOLOL

That's rich. Have a great afternoon everyone.

Considering that a hurt Gore and a back up both ran for 100 yards each I wouldn't rule it out.

Just to add to what the OP said, that's where the Eagles went wrong in the offseason, they have a weak spot in the middle of their defense. Run up the middle and throw to the TE and RBs.

vs St Louis

- Cadillac Williams (RB) 6 receptions, 42 yards

- Billy Bajema (TE) 2 receptions, 21 yards

- Lance Kendricks (TE) 1 reception, 18 yards

- Total: 9 receptions (out of 19 total completions), 81 yards (181 total passing), 9 ypc, 0 TDs (no passing TDs in the game)

vs Atlanta

- Tony Gonzalez (TE) 7 receptions, 82 yards, 2 TDs

- Michael Turner (RB) 1 reception, 32 yards

- Jason Snelling (RB) 1 reception, 8 yards

- Ovie Mughelli (FB) 1 reception, 1 yard, 1 TD

- Total: 10 receptions (out of 17 completions), 123 yards (out of 180 passing), 12.3 ypc, 3 TDs (of 4 passing TDs)

vs New York

- Ahmad Bradshaw 5 receptions, 53 yards, 1 TD

- Brandon Jacobs 2 receptions, 42 yards, 1 TD

- Jake Ballard 1 reception, 15 yards

- Travus Beckum 1 reception, 2 yards

- Total: 9 receptions (of 16 completions), 112 yards (of 232 yards passing), 12.44 ypc, 2 TDs (out of 4 passing TDs)

vs San Fran

- Vernon Davis (TE) 4 receptions, 45 yards, 1 TD

- Kendall Hunter (RB) 2 receptions, 62 yards

- Delaine Walker (TE) 3 receptions, 20 yards

- Bruce Miller (FB) 1 reception, 15 yards

- Frank Gore (RB) 2 receptions, 12 yards

- Total: 12 receptions (out of 21 completions), 154 yards (of 278 passing yards), 12.83 ypc, 1 TD (of 2 passing TDs)

So altogether, to TEs and RBs the Eagles have given up:

- completions: 40 of 73 (54.8%) (not that unusual if teams check down a lot anyway)

- yards: 470 of 871 (54%)

- ypc: 11.75 (that's pretty HUGE)

- passing TDs: 6 of the 10 thrown against them

The yards per catch is the stat that screams out. If you can run up the middle, AND pass to your TEs and RBs, for 11+ ypc, you shouldn't have trouble moving the ball, IMO.

I'll give credit to lots of ESers because there were people calling this one during FA. Nice job guys! Hopefully our team takes advantage of these weaknesses.

EDIT:

I'd like to add to this, just so people realize that it's not normal to give up more yards to TEs and RBs in the passing game (if they didn't already), the Skins don't have a single game where our TEs and RBs have out gained our WRs in passing yardage, even with Davis playing like a beast. It was close in the Giants game, when Davis had 105 yards, but even then the WRs pulled it out by a handful.

So, I believe we're very well matched up against Philly. :)

You can't take the performance of one team against another and transpose that to another team's expectations. Football is not like that. You are exaggerating. Who's to say Philly doesn't use all of that film and solve their defensive scheme problems and come out and shut the Skins down rushing the ball. Any given Sunday unexpected things will happen.

You can't take the performance of one team against another and transpose that to another team's expectations. Football is not like that. You are exaggerating. Who's to say Philly doesn't use all of that film and solve their defensive scheme problems and come out and shut the Skins down rushing the ball. Any given Sunday unexpected things will happen.

All of that is true, and possible, but generally speaking, especially in football, if a team has a weakness, it's going to continue to be a weakness.

For example, the Skins have trouble in the red zone. Who thinks we're going to fix that in the next couple games?

The Eagles have gotten worse in these areas (stopping the run and pass to RBs/TEs) since the beginning of the season, not better. Part of this is due to injury, part of it is due to the fact that teams are starting to see where the weaknesses are.

Normally it takes teams about 8 games to really get a fix on what a team's weakness is, but this year it was fairly obvious before the games even began.

Also, yes, you CAN and SHOULD look at other team's performances against the Eagles, it shows how other teams have exploited their weaknesses, and how the Eagles have been great in other areas. If you don't look at those things and game plan off of them, then you shouldn't be coaching. How else are you supposed to plan for a team?

All of that is true, and possible, but generally speaking, especially in football, if a team has a weakness, it's going to continue to be a weakness.

For example, the Skins have trouble in the red zone. Who thinks we're going to fix that in the next couple games?

The Eagles have gotten worse in these areas (stopping the run and pass to RBs/TEs) since the beginning of the season, not better. Part of this is due to injury, part of it is due to the fact that teams are starting to see where the weaknesses are.

Normally it takes teams about 8 games to really get a fix on what a team's weakness is, but this year it was fairly obvious before the games even began.

Also, yes, you CAN and SHOULD look at other team's performances against the Eagles, it shows how other teams have exploited their weaknesses, and how the Eagles have been great in other areas. If you don't look at those things and game plan off of them, then you shouldn't be coaching. How else are you supposed to plan for a team?

Until last season, the Redskins were typically among the top performers in the red zone among the best and even last year, we were only a couple of attempts worse than the NFL as a whole. We do tend to fix it 3-4 games into the season. for example after the first 4 games last year, we had a red zone performance of about 25% which by the end of the year was almost 53%. You may also remember 2009 included a Rams game were we went 0-4 in the red zone but finished hitting on almost 6 out of 10 trips for the year.

IF they give it to him, Helu could have one he'll of a coming out party against the iggles. Though I doubt Kyle will use him as the feature back, they sure won't be expecting it.

Most of the running backs the Eagles have faced have been power backs. All have had good days. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Cadillac Williams: 19 rushes, 91 yards

Steven Jackson: 2 rushes, 56 yards

Michael Turner: 21 rushes, 114 yards

Ahmad Bradshaw: 15 rushes, 86 yards

Frank Gore: 15 rushes, 127 yards

Dude you twisted what I said. I never said we shouldn't look at film or try to do what other teams did. Just said you can't expect same results just based on other teams performance. Nothing more.

Until last season, the Redskins were typically among the top performers in the red zone among the best and even last year, we were only a couple of attempts worse than the NFL as a whole. We do tend to fix it 3-4 games into the season. for example after the first 4 games last year, we had a red zone performance of about 25% which by the end of the year was almost 53%. You may also remember 2009 included a Rams game were we went 0-4 in the red zone but finished hitting on almost 6 out of 10 trips for the year.

That's not really the point I was trying to make, but since you brought it up, this is our red zone % and ranking for the last few years:

2010: 51.15% (21st)

2009: 56.52% (8th)

2008: 47.92% (24th)

2007: 49.12% (20th)

2006: 50% (tied for 16th)

2005: 62% (5th)

2004: 52.27% (18th)

2003: 54.55% (11th)

Being in the top 10 twice in 8 years doesn't make us among the top contenders IMO. Just sayin'.

Do I think we'll get it figured out, yes. Do I think the Eagles will, no.

The difference with us vs them is that we HAVE the parts to match up solidly against them while they don't have the parts to stop the run or passing to the TE & RBs. In other words, they took a chance on a bunch of young players to perform like starters, and a bunch of old vets to stay healthy, and neither of those things has worked out. I'm happy about it.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 08:36 PM ----------

Dude you twisted what I said. I never said we shouldn't look at film or try to do what other teams did. Just said you can't expect same results just based on other teams performance. Nothing more.

I agree, but you CAN expect good results. That was all I meant.

That's not really the point I was trying to make, but since you brought it up, this is our red zone % and ranking for the last few years:

2010: 51.15% (21st)

2009: 56.52% (8th)

2008: 47.92% (24th)

2007: 49.12% (20th)

2006: 50% (tied for 16th)

2005: 62% (5th)

2004: 52.27% (18th)

2003: 54.55% (11th)

Being in the top 10 twice in 8 years doesn't make us among the top contenders IMO. Just sayin'.

Do I think we'll get it figured out, yes. Do I think the Eagles will, no.

The difference with us vs them is that we HAVE the parts to match up solidly against them while they don't have the parts to stop the run or passing to the TE & RBs. In other words, they took a chance on a bunch of young players to perform like starters, and a bunch of old vets to stay healthy, and neither of those things has worked out. I'm happy about it.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 08:36 PM ----------

I agree, but you CAN expect good results. That was all I meant.

Your numbers support my contention. So why did you just look them up? 5 are what above what I said and even the others are VERY close to NFL average.

Our goal should be to run the ball 40 times.

No doubt...as it should be in every game.

I know Kyle would be grinding his teeth to call a game like that but it's what needs to be done...escpecially until Rex gets his head on right with missed throws. 40 rush attempts with 20 - 25 passes per game is how this offense needs to roll imho.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 09:17 PM ----------

:ols: So do I ;)

You guys have the birds as your FF D? Was that the only one left when u picked?

Archived