Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rushing against Philly

NIGHTHAWK1024

Your numbers support my contention. So why did you just look them up? 5 are what above what I said and even the others are VERY close to NFL average.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. "Among the best," IMO is not being in the bottom half of the league for the 5/8 years. The numbers go directly against what you said. The team has been among the worst in the NFL in the last few years, even if we only go back 5 seasons. We've had ONE in the top 10. Most of the rest are in the 20s.

To be honest, I looked them up to see if you were right. The numbers say otherwise.

Anyway, so as not to take over the thread, I'll leave it at that.

AA killed the Eagles repeatedly last year. Should happen again this time.Get a good running game going and burn them hard on play action with AA out of the slot. The Eagles defense should excel (I say should because they have been garbage in every way imaginable) on our top 2 WRs and pass rushing on obvious passing plays. Fortunately we have multiple ways of counteracting this. Its surprising to say that our offense actually outmatches somebody, but between Fred Davis, AA, our RBs as receivers and blockers, and running game in general, we are basically built to beat them.

Most of the running backs the Eagles have faced have been power backs. All have had good days. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Cadillac Williams: 19 rushes, 91 yards

Steven Jackson: 2 rushes, 56 yards

Michael Turner: 21 rushes, 114 yards

Ahmad Bradshaw: 15 rushes, 86 yards

Frank Gore: 15 rushes, 127 yards

Bradshaw and Caddy are speed backs.

Still it doesn't really look like it matters what kind of back it is, they all seem to be dominating the Eagles.

AA killed the Eagles repeatedly last year. Should happen again this time.Get a good running game going and burn them hard on play action with AA out of the slot. The Eagles defense should excel (I say should because they have been garbage in every way imaginable) on our top 2 WRs and pass rushing on obvious passing plays. Fortunately we have multiple ways of counteracting this. Its surprising to say that our offense actually outmatches somebody, but between Fred Davis, AA, our RBs as receivers and blockers, and running game in general, we are basically built to beat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1ucJd71B4

Not even. Nnamdi bit so hard on this double move I thought he might choke on it. Not to mention they couldn't tackle any one of us.

...By us, I mean people on this board. Not the actual players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1ucJd71B4

Not even. Nnamdi bit so hard on this double move I thought he might choke on it. Not to mention they couldn't tackle any one of us.

...By us, I mean people on this board. Not the actual players.

Yeah, he has not been good. Hence the disclaimer "I say should because they have been garbage in every way imaginable." But if we ignore their supposed strengths then there isnt much to talk about. The way they have played, we could effectively run swinging gate formation.

Give Torain the ball and send him straight up the middle. Rinse, lather, repeat.

And have Helu be the second half finisher. Both are better inside than Hightower who should come in on some 3rd downs but otherwise have an easy day.

The yards per catch is the stat that screams out. If you can run up the middle, AND pass to your TEs and RBs, for 11+ ypc, you shouldn't have trouble moving the ball, IMO.

I think you've got a great point, and if there was ever a team that was built to feed the ball to the RBs and TEs, it's us.

---------- Post added October-9th-2011 at 09:11 AM ----------

For example, the Skins have trouble in the red zone. Who thinks we're going to fix that in the next couple games?

Actually, I could see the combination of Torrain running behind Cooley might well raise their hands for this question.

I think you've got a great point, and if there was ever a team that was built to feed the ball to the RBs and TEs, it's us.

Actually, I could see the combination of Torrain running behind Cooley might well raise their hands for this question.

I sincerely hope you're right. I do believe Torrain looks like the better back, especially when we run more. He is hard to bring down, a power back, and fights for every inch. Cooley at FB is a great idea too.

I also think we're perfectly built to give the Eagles fits, and not just on offense. I think our pass rushing OLBs and reliable ILBs (Rocky's been MUCH better in every way these first 4 games), our solid DL, and safeties that scare people.

We're all making the assumption that Kyle Shannahan will call enough running plays?

This is my problem and fear. We're going to get too "cute" on offense and Rex is gonna end up throwing it 40+ times

I'm more worried that the Eagles won't hit the self-destruct button like they've been doing the past few weeks - I mean, sooner or later, they have to stop screwing up, right? :) Vick and co. are still capable of scoring points quickly, and when Kyle sees us drop behind he goes for the pass plays and forgets about the run.

I'm more worried that the Eagles won't hit the self-destruct button like they've been doing the past few weeks - I mean, sooner or later, they have to stop screwing up, right? :) Vick and co. are still capable of scoring points quickly, and when Kyle sees us drop behind he goes for the pass plays and forgets about the run.

Also observing that Philly, today, had like 174 yards rushing. 90 of which were by Vick.

But I somehow think that we know that Vick likes to take off. And that we have somebody (Fletch? Laron?) whose job is to convince him not to do that.

---------- Post added October-9th-2011 at 06:29 PM ----------

We better be able to pound the rock down their throats......

Oh, agreed. A good running game would really improve this game. (Granted, a good running game improves all games. But, still.)

We're all making the assumption that Kyle Shannahan will call enough running plays?

This is my problem and fear. We're going to get too "cute" on offense and Rex is gonna end up throwing it 40+ times

Just to play devil's advocate and because I have heard this a lot.....does anyone really know what plays that everyone is complaing about that may have been called a run and Rex audibled to a pass. I'm just askin because everyone is giving Kyle a hard time and for all we know, Rex is the one gettin cute. just puttin it out there.

This is a must-win game, to erase last year's turde-laying contest.

But, they cannot get overly ****y early in the game; it always leads to that smell of burning rubber later.

The Eagles pursue heavy and aggressively, and this is where mis-direction and screens will do wonders. Its been eating them up all year, and I pray Kyle doesn't try to play "ball size" with Reid; he will lose that chess match.

Naturally that is the one thing that can make it a long day for us, being victims of pitch-outs and roll-outs. Ray Charles can see Vick wants to roll out left, and a sack isn't imperative, just keeping him at or near the line and we will be A-O-K...

We need to run early and often. (obviously)

Trent Cole wont be playing so the key there is his replacement. I dont think the filthy Eagles will play that wide 9 technique against us without Cole so the middle might not be as open as i thought before he got injured. I think they play tighter more conventional D against us. Not really sure about Coles replacement but id run in that direction,opposite of our typical sweep runs and make the linebackers make a play, which i think is their weakest link on D. A misdirection run will most likely make them over pursue all day long.

Archived