Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone think something looks "off" with Brandon Banks?

RonArtest15

For the past couple of weeks, something just doesn't look right with Brandon Banks. Many of his kick returns are not making it to the 20 and it looks as though he's lacking the explosion we saw from him last year. I'd love to eat crow with this thread (assuming he's still here after the bye) if he has a HUGE game vs. the Eagles. That being said, he's tying up a roster spot due to being somewhat one-dimensional. We saw Ryan Torain get a shot yesterday and make the most of his opportunity. I've just been wondering if Niles Paul (or someone else) will get his turn to return kicks. I've liked what I've seen from him on ST, and I know he's done some good things with his returns while at Nebraska. Anyways, I hope Banks isn't trying to play through a nagging injury or something along those lines...but if he is, I wouldn't be surprised. He doens't look right.

I've wanted Paul and/or Aldrick Robinson to see if they can hold the spot down for a while now. I originally did not see Banks making this team again. Paul reminds me more of a Devin Hester type and has the size to actually break a few tackles, Banks looks to have trouble breaking the 20 yard line

To much dancing and running east and west, he needs to take it north and south, plus some good blocking would help. overall i am very meh about our special teams this year. If gano wasnt booming them into the endzone every game i would wonder how good the coverage is. Rocca is a beast with his punting, I am not sure why the eagles didnt resign him.

To much dancing and running east and west, he needs to take it north and south, plus some good blocking would help.

Bingo. It seems he's thinking too much. Way too much dancing side to side a la Randle El. Just get upfield. He's always looking for a huge lane to open up, but he's fast and wily enough to not need one.

It appears Banks may be suffering form take it to the house syndrome.

Sometimes a 6-8 yard gain is better than a 0-2 yard gain.

I honestly think he is fearing getting hit. He is avoiding contact at all cost and is looking to go down before first contact.

He will never be able to run up the gut and break a tackle at his size where Niles Paul probably could.

It is going to be feast or famine with Banks.

What's wrong with Banks is called "game tape." Teams have watched film and determined specific strategies to defending his returns. His speed isn't off and he's not afraid to get hit. I do think he has to make better decisions regarding the returns from the endzone because he's routinely not getting to the 20 so it proves to be a bad decision vs. taking the touch back! As for those asking for another returner, you know the team would have a different returner back there if they were better than Banks. This is no longer the Vinny Show. The best players play under this regime.

Yup. The lack of blocking in front of him and guys up his ass as soon as he catches the ball is off from last year.

Hail.

is the blocking that bad compared to last year? are you keeping an eye on this or are you talking out of your arse?? ;)

just, saying I never pay attention to special teams blocking ...

i do feel he seems off ... i think the big thing is he is not making that first defender miss

is the blocking that bad compared to last year? are you keeping an eye on this or are you talking out of your arse?? ;)

just, saying I never pay attention to special teams blocking ...

i do feel he seems off ... i think the big thing is he is not making that first defender miss

Oh, I was being TOTALLY flip as I don't believe there's anything remotely wrong with Banks.

But that said he does appear to be having less space over the first 5/10 yards. On punts as well as kick-returns. So maybe there is something in the blocking ..... *Conspiracy theorist me.

Hail.

What's wrong with Banks is called "game tape." Teams have watched film and determined specific strategies to defending his returns. His speed isn't off and he's not afraid to get hit. I do think he has to make better decisions regarding the returns from the endzone because he's routinely not getting to the 20 so it proves to be a bad decision vs. taking the touch back! As for those asking for another returner, you know the team would have a different returner back there if they were better than Banks. This is no longer the Vinny Show. The best players play under this regime.

I don't think it is just other teams. I believe it is Banks as well.

As others have said, he is trying too hard and too much for the home run hit. The whole idea in returns is to give our offense the best possible position to start from and win the field position battle. It's great if they return it to the house, but it doesn't happen often, and no one expects it to happen nearly every time.

Banks needs to stop thinking so much and just run. Stop juking around looking for the HR play and collapsing if it isn't there. Just get the most yards you can.

Of course, that new rule banning 'wedge blocking' (I think it was called), and his knee issue might still be affecting him some, but Banks needs to stop listening to his press and just play the position.

He's got guys in his face by the time he gets to the 15. He gets no blocking. Danny Smith really needs to fix this his ass is out the door. Seriously, you've got one of the most explosive players in the league returning kicks and he can barely get to the 20?! Look at Hester's returns around 2006-2007. Not to take anything away from Hester himself but he had some amazing blocking on those TD returns. Now, I'm not saying Banks is gonna take it to the house 6 or 7 times but he should be getting the ball to the 30-40. With a predominant running team that has a struggling QB and little to no big plays, field position is huge and the special teams getting it together could go a long way to generating wins in tight games.

To much dancing and running east and west, he needs to take it north and south, plus some good blocking would help. overall i am very meh about our special teams this year. If gano wasnt booming them into the endzone every game i would wonder how good the coverage is. Rocca is a beast with his punting, I am not sure why the eagles didnt resign him.

Dancing and running east-west is Banks' game. That is, if the seem doesn't develop during the kick, he needs to stay alive until one does open or try to get to the other side of the field hoping they defenders have collapsed inward and created a seem for him.

---------- Post added October-3rd-2011 at 12:11 PM ----------

When he has been effective is when he catches the ball and bursts right up the middle. I said something in the game thread about this yesterday. He is dancing around too much.

We must not have watched the same returner then.

Archived