Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Up With All The Tipped Passes?

DM72

Seriously, that needs to be addressed ASAP. We have gotten lucky so far that none of Rex's batted balls have been intercepted. I give Rex credit for knocking some of them down, but if this keeps up, it's gonna come back and bite us in the ass.

Grossman's barely 6 feet tall and the Cards have a 6'8" DE, it's going to happen. But in general, Rex is going to have his share of those due to his combination of size and limited mobility. That said, so far I'll take it. It's the first time in a loooooong time that I can watch a Redskins' QB make legit NFL plays. For once we don't look over matched at that position.

Grossman's barely 6 feet tall and the Cards have a 6'8" DE, it's going to happen. But in general, Rex is going to have his share of those due to his combination of size and limited mobility. That said, so far I'll take it. It's the first time in a loooooong time that I can watch a Redskins' QB make legit NFL plays. For once we don't look over matched at that position.

Yep, Calais Campbell was a one man wrecking crew today. Dude is scary big.

Yea no kidding...its one thing about it, the Redskins for once have a Offensive Coordinator and QB who aint afraid to go down the field. I cant believe that we can Run AND pass...now just score in the RZ more consistently

The O-line is responsible for opening passing lanes. Either they failed to do so on those plays, or Grossman was going to secondary targets outside the primary passing lane. It would be useful to go through all the tipped passes and determine how much the O-line was at fault.

It's not simply that Grossman is 6'0" tall. If that were the only explanation, he'd lose every game. I had the impression that the Cardinals were playing to block passes, and the O-line was unable to clear the passing lane on those plays. But again, I haven't replayed the game to chart those plays.

I think I counted 5 tipped passes today. Might have been four. But props to Rex for breaking up i believe 1 that looked like it was about to be picked off. He overcame his rough start. Even though the second int wasn't on him. And didn't make mistakes when it counted. Even though i was ****ting bricks before the Moss touchdown. Thought he missed an open man underneath lol.

Seriously, that needs to be addressed ASAP. We have gotten lucky so far that none of Rex's batted balls have been intercepted. I give Rex credit for knocking some of them down, but if this keeps up, it's gonna come back and bite us in the ass.

I'll draft a memo immediately telling Rexy to grow another 5 inches just so you feel better.

Geez, seriously?? Batted balls happen, you can't avoid them all.

I'll draft a memo immediately telling Rexy to grow another 5 inches just so you feel better.

Geez, seriously?? Batted balls happen, you can't avoid them all.

I've seen short QB's, Rex included, not have as many batted balls as Rex had today. I don't remember that many last week.

Tipped passes are most definitely a worry.

I wrote this comment Saturday in Tarhog’s thread.

Me: I think defenses will find Rex easy to defend on his five-step drops when he’s throwing up the middle. The interior linemen only have to get their hands up, timed to block, when he throws on rhythm.

Rex is a short pocket-passer throwing from a wide base, so he has a low release point. That’s only part of the problem. The other part is that defenses are learning how to defend pocket passers in the quick passing schemes which are now in vogue. They will alternate getting pressure up the middle and getting hands up with dropping the three interior lineman into short zones.

Tipped passes are most definitely a worry.

I wrote this comment Saturday in Tarhog’s thread.

Rex is a short pocket-passer throwing from a wide base, so he has a low release point. That’s only part of the problem. The other part is that defenses are learning how to defend pocket passers in the quick passing schemes which are now in vogue. They will alternate getting pressure up the middle and getting hands up with dropping the three interior lineman into short zones.

When I rewatched the Giants game from last year and made comments on it, I said there were lots of tipped passes in that game. Twice in yesterday's game that I've noticed Rex and company did though have the presence of mind after the tip to go after the ball and swat it to the ground.

Archived