Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upon second viewing, Trent Williams had a great game. Seriously

shakinaiken

The current theme on ES now, is that Trent was abused by JPP. That couldnt be further from the truth

I feel the need to dispell the notion that Trent Williams had a bad game. He didnt. As a matter of fact he had a pretty good game. After seeing a majority of ES users critique his performence i rewatched the game last night, and focused my attention on Trent Williams on every offensive snap. And my first reaction was wow, this kid is good. there was a play where JPP had an entire step on him off the snap, and Trent sidestepped so quickly that he recovered and easily pushed JPP out of the play. I mean unbelievable athleticism. play after play after play. The game is well into the third quarter before Trent actually gives up a sack, and on the play Trent clearly injures his leg- and thats the only reason JPP gets the sack, cause Trent once again had great position. And then of the course the Rex grosssman sack fumble play that has been well documented. Thats it, two plays... and one of them was an unlikely misfooting.

Yes i understand the sack fumble play can be disasterous and have catostrophic results, but it happens. good defensive ends will beat the tackle occasionally. Trent literally dominated JPP 99 percent of the game. So Trent will be ok, and perhaps we should really be focusing our attention on the other Tackle... Brown didnt look too good.

Actually Trent did have a pretty decent game. The o-line play overall was not so great but Trent looked ok. As stated in the OP, he did have a couple bad plays but ppl feel as though he should be perfect just cuz he was drafted 4th overall, nonsense. He will continue to get better but overall, he did pretty good.

A Great game? That's a huge stretch...If you would have said decent, average, or better than he's getting heat for then I would agree. But, a great game...NO.

hmm, well yes it would seem more appropriate to say he had a good game, but the word "great" is slightly more shocking, and therefore would draw more attention to the thread. But i believe Trent did better than decent.

hmm, well yes it would seem more appropriate to say he had a good game, but the word "great" is slightly more shocking, and therefore would draw more attention to the thread. But i believe Trent did better than decent.

Gave up 2 sacks and they averaged less than 3 YDs per carry. No one on the OL had a great or even a good game.

And wuts ur take on the run plays?

good question, there was i believe one play that Trent was pushed back, and it was early on in the game- like the second play or something. They had chris cooley bunched up the left side with the recievers and the play ran that way. Admittedly Trent was pushed back and beaten on that play. But other than that Trent did his assignment, even standing out on a few runs where he pushed JPP back about ten yards

Each to their own, but for me, NONE of the O-line came out of last Sunday with any great credit; let alone having a 'great' game.

Hail.

The run blocking definitely didnt live up to preseason expectations last Sun for this o-line but Grossman did have a 110+ rating so somebody had to do something correctly. Surely we're not giving all the credit to Grossman and the 6 different receivers he hit, right??

It all starts up front.

Yeah.. I'm not so sure about your conclusions guy.

If TW does so well, why is he BEHIND the line of scrimmage on every running play to the left side, instead of 5-10 yards downfield?

well depends on his assignment on the play. Sometimes Kory is the guy assigned to get to the second level, while Trent engages his man on the line.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 07:09 PM ----------

Im not sure why my conclusion is that shocking, as it seems the coaches all agreed Trent had a pretty good game

The run blocking definitely didnt live up to preseason expectations last Sun for this o-line but Grossman did have a 110+ rating so somebody had to do something correctly. Surely we're not giving all the credit to Grossman and the 6 different receivers he hit, right??

It all starts up front.

Up until the late 3rd qtr when the Giants finally gave up, Grossman was under tremendous pressure all day. I lost count of the number of throws he made with a Giant in his face. The fact that he had such good numbers and moved the team so well say's far more about his game last Sunday than the 5 in front of him.

Pass pro was pretty darn poor the vast majority of that game, and if it doesn't improve fast we could be in a heap of trouble as we know how Rex can be under pressure.

Hail.

Up until the late 3rd qtr when the Giants finally gave up, Grossman was under tremendous pressure all day. I lost count of the number of throws he made with a Giant in his face. The fact that he had such good numbers and moved the team so well say's far more about his game last Sunday than the 5 in front of him.

Pass pro was pretty darn poor the vast majority of that game, and if it doesn't improve fast we could be in a heap of trouble as we know how Rex can be under pressure.

Hail.

True, but most of pressure that resulted in huried throws was due to overload blitzes. Fewell sent 6 to 7 blitzers sometimes, and the oline simply couldnt block every single player. When they were rushing four and five, Grossman had plenty of time to make throws, which of course led to him having a 300 yard day. the online did pretty good, and more specifically Trent Williams did well.

This is a post I did yesterday in another TW thread....

So I went back re-watched the game and this is what I saw. It was a little more then the 2-3 bad plays a game I continue to hear from some. Trent had 11 total plays in which his play alone had a negative outcome on the play. 7 plays including the play in which he got hurt and 4 plays after the injury. Here is a breakdown with the quarter and time it happened so you can reference for yourself if you have the game saved.

1st- 6:01- Stretch run, TW pushed back from 17-19 forcing Hightower to cutback inside for no gain

1st- 00:07- Stretch run, TW pushed back from 43-46 JPP makes a 1 yard loss tackle.

2nd- 13:32- Stretch right, TW misses cut block on DT allowing DT to penetrate and force Hightower to bounce outside for a 2 yard gain. A ton of green behind said DT could have been a huge run.

3rd- 9:39- Stretch run, TW pushed back from the 40-42 Hightower forced to cut outside for 1 yard gain

3rd- 8:55- Pass Pro, TW beaten just as badly as the 2 sacks he gives up later except Hightower makes the save with pass pro help, with no Hightower Rex is easily sacked.

3rd- 2:41- Stretch run, TW pushed back from 30-32, Hightower does a great job avoiding a JPP -3 run and gains a yard for his effort.

3rd- 2:01- Pass Pro, Just gets destroyed by JPP, gives up the sack and hurts knee in process

4th- 13:12- Pass Pro, Gets owned by JPP and Rex gets sacked and fumbles

4th- 10:12- Stretch run, TW pushed back from 42-44, no where to go for Hightower -1 rush

4th- 7:51- Stretch run, TW pushed back 34-37 and basically in Helu's lap at handoff. Helu makes quick cut inside for 2, good effort run by Helu

4th- 5:12- Pass pro, Gets beat horribly and holds JPP like he was Orakpo, no flag for holding and Rex To Gaffney TD happens. So I don't know if we can continue to scream about Rak getting held after watching that attempt at Pass Pro.

Now to be fair every other OL that day did absolutely no better then TW.

This is one for the Off season. But I think Chris Samuels has got to go.

I just re-watched the Philly game in slo-mo and if he isn't beaten, then he is out of place or he is on the ground.

He can not pass protect at all. ZERO.

And he seems lost when they slide or run a screen. It's like he doesn't know where to go.

Samuels is seriously overrated. Speed rushers eat his lunch everytime.
I just can't decide ?? Some say pro-bowler...some say he sucks.

I watch and can't decide.It is tough to judge O-linemen.

Chris Samuels stinks.

He looked like a matador with that DE today. Ole'! I'd have to say those #2 and #3 picks in that 2000 draft were worthless.

Samuels vs. Indy was enough for me to know we got problems at LT.
He's very good, but he is prone to having bad games every now and then. More than you would like for a top LT.

I don't know why a couple of bad plays, or even a bad game, makes Samuels a bad player.
man i never liked Chris
Back to being worthless, he was a "Redskin for life" before this week on the other threads.

Fickle, Fickle

I think he IS a little overrated. My issue with him is, he makes a lot of mental mistakes at key moments, when you'd least expect a pro-bowler to be making them. I don't always think he's got his head 100% in the game. But I'll also say, without any expertise or inside knowledge, its pretty hard to assess when mistakes are one player's fault, or just a result of some other issue going on we're not aware of.
Some people have unrealistic expectations. Left tackles are going to give up sacks. Cornerbacks are going to get beat. Defenses are going to give up touchdowns.
Good thread.......There's no question in my mind, Samuels is extremely overrated. Game in, game out he's adequate at best and I've noticed in the past two seasons alone, he seems to get penalized on the team's most critical offensive series in every game!

pls look at it without the redskins glasses on, if he was as good as people make him out to be, he would DOMINATE

and we all know he does not even come close to this!!! esp, when he is facing just an above ave. DE he still gets beat.....the better DE (after all he is a TOP LT :rolleyes: ) he gets smoked

Most overrated OT in the NFL....

Expect this, and more, for Trent Williams lol :yes:...

Thanks for that history lesson, Califan. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Trent played a solid game. Was it a Pro Bowl performance? No. But the o-line got the job done against a team that brings a lot of pressure, and aside from surrendering those two sacks (one of which was supposed to be picked up by Kory, apparently), I thought Trent looked like the best guy out there, and even if Rex got hit a lot, he still had time to throw more often than not. The only times I really saw the line overwhelmed was when the Giants overwhelmed them with numbers. I thought Trent looked pretty good in pass pro.

And as for his performance in the run game...who the hell has a good game running the ball against the Giants, ever?

*is prepared for numerous examples of 100 yard rushing performances on the Giants*

i dunno, cali. if the chart loyal posted is anywhere near correct, trent needs to improve. samuels was a 6 time pro bowler. we all know trent isnt anywhere close to that level and doesnt appear to be headed that way. it could change, but he's nowhere close at the moment.

Thanks for that history lesson, Califan. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Trent played a solid game. Was it a Pro Bowl performance? No. But the o-line got the job done against a team that brings a lot of pressure, and aside from surrendering those two sacks (one of which was supposed to be picked up by Kory, apparently), I thought Trent looked like the best guy out there, and even if Rex got hit a lot, he still had time to throw more often than not. The only times I really saw the line overwhelmed was when the Giants overwhelmed them with numbers. I thought Trent looked pretty good in pass pro.

And as for his performance in the run game...who the hell has a good game running the ball against the Giants, ever?

*is prepared for numerous examples of 100 yard rushing performances on the Giants*

Average rushing yards per game against the Giants in 2010 was 101 putting them in the top quarter of NFL rush defenses, so I doubt many people had a good day running at them :) I also doubt TW will be the only guy who has problems with JPP this year.

Average rushing yards per game against the Giants in 2010 was 101 putting them in the top quarter of NFL rush defenses, so I doubt many people had a good day running at them :) I also doubt TW will be the only guy who has problems with JPP this year.

True, but last years Gina's DL had Cofield and a healthy Tuck and Osi. Those guys weren't there last Sunday.

True, but last years Gina's DL had Cofield and a healthy Tuck and Osi. Those guys weren't there last Sunday.

But JPP is no slouch. He wasn't a slouch last year when he played well against us, he damn sure looked great in preseason, and Michael Lombardi was saying that he felt that at the end of the day, JPP would end up being a better pass rusher than Osi. They also had Linval Joseph who played well for them last year. The Giants don't eff around with their d-line. They have depth. The idea that the o-line got worked over by a bunch of back-ups is flawed.

JPP was the Giants first round draft pick in 2010. Lival Joseph was their second round pick, which says to me they were already expecting Cofield to sign somewhere else. They still had Chris Canty there to hold them down as a vet. The only questionable guy on that line was Dave Tollefson. So it's not like we were were struggling against scrubs. They still have a good d-line and it showed.

Archived