Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upon second viewing, Trent Williams had a great game. Seriously

shakinaiken

But JPP is no slouch. He wasn't a slouch last year when he played well against us, he damn sure looked great in preseason, and Michael Lombardi was saying that he felt that at the end of the day, JPP would end up being a better pass rusher than Osi. They also had Linval Joseph who played well for them last year. The Giants don't eff around with their d-line. They have depth. The idea that the o-line got worked over by a bunch of back-ups is flawed.

JPP was the Giants first round draft pick in 2010. Lival Joseph was their second round pick, which says to me they were already expecting Cofield to sign somewhere else. They still had Chris Canty there to hold them down as a vet. The only questionable guy on that line was Dave Tollefson. So it's not like we were were struggling against scrubs. They still have a good d-line and it showed.

The reason the Giant's have owned us since 2007 is because they invest in the DL and use to have a top 5 OL. But not having Tuck and Osi was a big help. JPP had 2 sacks on Sunday, he had 4.5 all of last year. It's ok to say that the OL had a below average game and we won despite their play and Doughtys.

The reason the Giant's have owned us since 2007 is because they invest in the DL and used to have a top 5 OL. But not having Tuck and Osi was a big help. JPP had 2 sacks on Sunday, he had 4.5 all of last year. It's ok to say that the OL had a below average game and we won despite their play and Doughtys.

JPP was also playing behind last season Osi though.

I'm not saying were the line was great. I'm saying that they, and Trent in particular, probably played a better game than people give them credit for, and they weren't playing against slouches.

i dunno, cali. if the chart loyal posted is anywhere near correct, trent needs to improve. samuels was a 6 time pro bowler. we all know trent isnt anywhere close to that level and doesnt appear to be headed that way. it could change, but he's nowhere close at the moment.

That was my point lol...if a 6 time Pro Bowler can get those types of reactions from ES members, expect that and more for Trent Williams.

JPP was also playing behind last season Osi though.

I'm not saying were the line was great. I'm saying that they, and Trent in particular, probably played a better game than people give them credit for, and they weren't playing against slouches.

Yes, the Gina's were without their top 2 DEs and while JJP is a raw but talented 2nd year player, there is a drop off, not to mention two less guys in the rotation. You seem to be TW's biggest fan and jump at the chance to defend him on every post critical of his play. Bottom-line, he needs to play better. I think we can both agree there..

What some people fail to understand is in the zone blocking scheme, you don't have to overpower the man you're blocking. You want to get your body between the defender and running back, and allow the running back to pick and choose the hole he wants. Trent was good from watching the highlights provided. The perception is that he played badly, when in reality, he wasn't too bad.

What some people fail to understand is in the zone blocking scheme, you don't have to overpower the man you're blocking. You want to get your body between the defender and running back, and allow the running back to pick and choose the hole he wants. Trent was good from watching the highlights provided. The perception is that he played badly, when in reality, he wasn't too bad.

I was just going to mention that. That's specifically why the ZBS can use smaller more athletic Des, NOT because they over-power the DL. They basically allow the DL to move themselves out of the play while they just stay between them and the RB.

At least, that's my understanding. If anyone has ever seen the replays of the Broncos Packers SB, they talk about that. It's pretty interesting, and it's the entire reason the ZBS was so revolutionary. It worked in the SB, but it didn't work on Sunday. I haven't watched the game a 2nd time but I would guess that the OL as a whole didn't move as one unit, that's the most important part of the scheme, and a reason the running game would break down.

I'm not saying that's definitely what happened, because I don't have the game recorded, but that's a possibility.

You are 100% accurate in your assessment of the ZBS.

Power is not the key factor in execution of the ZBS but when you are constantly pushed 2 yards into the backfield and force the RB to either bounce the run outside or cut inside right off the handoff then the defense has won that battle. That is exactly why we did not have a good day running. Trent was horrendous in run block and I listed multiple examples of his poor run blocking. You want to be honest Trent had a much better day pass blocking then run blocking and that's including the 2 sacks.

Archived