Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Landry be ready for the Cards?

Skinsfanatic_1

So if he can't go next week, does the team stick with Doughty as the starting SS? If not, then who's the best alternative? How do the coaches effectively mask-disguise-limit Doughty's shortcomings back there?

Q1: Probably, due to lack of options.

Q2: DeJon Gomes

Q3: You really can't, not at safety. With corner, you can play zone, roll coverages away from the weaker player, etc. Safety is the last line of defense, literally. He has to play everywhere. You can't mask that.

One of these days...he cost us (or helped cost us) the game in week 2 last year (Andre Johnson's 4th down TD catch to tie it up).

I thought that was Buchanon that got abused on that play. Was Reed late with backup or something?

Edit: Nevermind saw the highlights, the game winner(scratch that) earlier TD was where buchanon got abused.

I thought that was Buchanon that got abused on that play. Was Reed late with backup or something?

I think it was the other way around actually. I think, after the fact, Buchanon admitted that he was supposed to stay in coverage and not leave Doughty on an island against Johnson. Doughty was there though and just physically couldn't compete with AJ.

I hope so. If not, our front seven can only cover up the GLARING weakness known as Reed Doughty for so long. I don't care how smart the guy is...he does not belong on the field and lacks the athleticism needed to stop defenses from picking on him. If we find ourselves in a close game with the Cards, I'd bet they will have a play drawn up to get Doughty matched up in man coverage with Fitz or to have Doughty as the only help over-the-top on Fitz's side. If we don't learn from our mistakes (last year's Texans game) we are bound to repeat them.

Reed's strength - like Landry's, mind you - is playing at the line of scrimmage. He was great under Blache when playing in the box. I think if you want to "hide" him, you do it by stacking the box against the Cards and using Doughty in blitz packages and run-support. He's a liability in pass coverage, but that doesn't mean he has to be a complete liability overall. But Haslett hopefully realizes that he can't call the same game with Doughty in at safety as he can with Laron.

Well his tweet about the trainers said he was set back two weeks. I think a week 3 appearance is the best we come hope for, but that is just my prediction.

Not really what he said...he said he would have been ready two weeks ago if it weren't for the circus staff and now he had a setback. That was last Saturday. So, it's not likely that there's any more reason to play LL vs Arizona if we survived without him for the Giants game. It wouldn't make any sense to risk him if he is not 100%. Yes, you can say 100% with a hamstring because they have this cool machine that takes really good pictures and shows if it's still torn. So, if the MRI says it's not torn and he feels like he got it stretched out, he'll play or practice that day. Until then, forget it. I see him back for the Dallas game and no reason to attempt to practice until next week.

Agree times a million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

per rotoworld

Panthers coach Ron Rivera referred to MLB Jon Beason's left ankle injury as "dire" after Sunday's loss to Arizona.

It may seem harsh, but this is what you get for rushing back a player from an Achilles' injury. Rivera confirmed Beason's latest ailment is to the same foot. The Panthers are officially withholding return timetables until MRI results become available, but at this point it sounds career-threatening. Beason was signed to a new six-year, $51.34 million contract in late July.

Landry's issue is now with his hamstring, not his Achilles. His Achilles was supposedly 100%.

You will need to bracket Fitz to cover him effectively (and no guarantees then, either.) What do your safeties/corners (minus Landry) look like? Just wondering.

-A Cardinals fan.

Our starting FS, Atogwe is pretty solid player. To be honest i have not seen much of him play but from what i've read on the forums, he's a solid FS that has a nose for getting strips.

Our starting Cb's - Hall - Big gambler, you win big or you lose big with him. Hes good at getting game changing int's but he gets burnt often, his tackling has improved though.

Wilson - Havent seen much of him either but his coverage seems solid enough.

Barnes - See him alot in blitz packages and run stopping plays. Dont see him as much in coverage but i guess thats a good thing? Usually playing nickel or dime

Backup SS- Doughty, hes best near the line of scrimmage but thats still not saying much. his tackling is suspect at times and his pass coverage is abysmal. Personally i'd like to see more of Dejon Gomes but i feel like he would be an even bigger liability in pass coverage then doughty.

I agree lets shelve Laron until after the bye, but Reed has to do better. We know he has physical limitations, but he has to play smarter..

There is little doubt about this situation. First, LL can't be rushed back into action and it's best if he sits out the Cardinals game. That's our safety and we need to be safe in giving him this extra week to rehab. I don't think he'll play.

Now, second, Reed Doughty...Reed is on the depth chart behind LL for a reason. He has limitations and opposing teams understand that and pick on him. The Redskins need one more week out of Reed, at least, and he needs to improve. What we have here is a humble guy who isn't ever going to be a star. He's a #2 and plays like it. The big plays are going to happen regardless if LL is there or not, but just more frequently than if LL is out and Reed is in. Reed, by his own admission, made a mistake in the Nicks coverage and big gain at the beginning of the game. What he did was instead of watching Nicks all the way, when Nicks made his first move and stopped, Reed turned his eyes to see if Eli was throwing or the ball was on the way. Nicks turned and continued his route (double move) and gained that second step and ended up wide open. So, if Reed makes the correction and watches the receiver, not biting on the double move, he's in position to break up the play. He's got to make a better 'read' on this type of play. It's a correction that he acknowledges and can improve on. It was week 1 and there is film to watch and correction to make.

No need to panic here. No need to rush LL back. No need to shutout the Cardinals either. Arizona gave up 477 yards to the Carolina Panthers and a rookie QB. Their defense isn't stopping the Redskins next week. Kolb fumbled twice and lost one and was sacked twice by the Carolina Panthers (note that Julius Peppers no longer plays for the Panthers). I'd also point out that Kolb got one of his TD's from a broken 48 yard play to a wide open TE named Jeff King. Without that play, Carolina wins the game and Kolb throws for 1 TD and 250 yards. Kevin Kolb is not scary! He's not beating the Redskins unless it's handed to him. I'd also like to point out that although Larry Fitzgerald is a monster, 25 yr. old Early Doucet is not. Fitzgerald was held to 3 catches and 62 yards (one of them was a 34 yarder). Carolina took him out of the game.

The biggest issue here isn't Kolb and Fitzgerald with Doucet or King...it's Beannie Wells and stopping the run. We stuff the run and make Kolb win it. I do believe that the Giants have a better running game than the Cardinals. Stuffing the run will be the game plan and Reed Doughty will improve. LL is going to rest and hopefully be jogging more this week and stretching that hamstring out to be capable of going into Dallas 100%. We need him in Texas, not rushing back to secure a win vs Arizona.

HTTR!!!!

B.S.

I'm not taking the Cardinals as lightly as everyone else. All I'm saying is, if LL can go, they need to let him play. You'll be sorry when you see Reed getting burnt on double moves all day.

we can beat the cardinals at home without landry. and i'll be damned if the redskins are taking them lightly at all. it seems we/they (whatever) are on a mission compared to anytime i've seen them.

if we play like we did in the 2nd half on d, we're going to destroy them.

we can beat the cardinals at home without landry. and i'll be damned if the redskins are taking them lightly at all. it seems we/they (whatever) are on a mission compared to anytime i've seen them.

if we play like we did in the 2nd half on d, we're going to destroy them.

Colin Powell isn't going to be in the locker room at halftime and the Cards Offense isn't nearly as depleted as the Giants so don't expect the team to be slowed up in the second half. We need everyone. The Cards like to sling it and our weakest link is ohhh soo weak.

if he doesnt play, hopefully they dont stick reed doughty on fitz. like they did last year but on andre johnson.

For the 1,000 time the skins did not put Reed on Johnson for the game winner! It has been said and repeated many times by the players,coaches, and member's of this board in this actual thread...please READ before you criticize someone.

Laron will probably be a go week 3 unless the next two days go very well. 40-60 right now. Laron no doubt helps the team when he's on the field but this game comes down to pressure from our front 7, OJ isn't a slouch in the secondary by any means.

Archived