Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins PR: REDSKINS LAUNCH 'WOMEN OF WASHINGTON REDSKINS' THE OFFICIAL FEMALE FAN CLUB

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEPTEMBER 7, 2011

REDSKINS LAUNCH ‘WOMEN OF WASHINGTON REDSKINS’ THE OFFICIAL FEMALE FAN CLUB

LANDOVER, MD – The Washington Redskins have announced WOW, Women of Washington Redskins, the team’s official women’s club. The announcement was made following the annual kickoff luncheon for the wives, girlfriends, and mothers of Redskins players, hosted by Mrs. Tanya Snyder.

“I am so proud of WOW and the overall initiative to connect with our female fans. It provides female fans a space to connect with the team, each other and, essentially, their own Redskins community,” Mrs. Snyder said. “I look forward to being an active participant with WOW throughout the coming season.”

Female fans that join WOW have access to behind-the-scenes and exclusive content through an interactive website at www.WOWRedskins.com. The club’s website, which will debut later this week, gives members a backstage pass to interviews with coaches, players and the founding members, their wives. Contributing writers to WOW’s website will also cover community news, health and wellness, fitness and more.

WOW will host events throughout the year ranging from football and fitness gatherings to intimate networking luncheons. The club will also work with the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation on numerous charitable events throughout the year but will focus largely on breast cancer awareness initiatives.

“The club presents a unique opportunity for the Redskins team wives to further enhance their role in the community alongside our players and coaches,” Mrs. Snyder said.

The website features team news and a football breakdown section for fans at every level, as well as a photo sharing component, special events page, social media updates and discounts with Redskins team partners.

“As one of our most passionate and loyal fan bases, I am so proud that we are able to recognize all of our female Redskins fans everywhere,” said Mrs. Snyder.

For more information on WOW, or to join the club, visit www.WOWRedskins.com or find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WOWRedskins and Twitter at @WOWRedskins.

Additional Notes:

• Thousands of members have already signed up, representing multiple countries and over 38 states, since the club’s preview in August.
  • According to Scarborough research, 44% of women in the Washington DC DMA are Redskins Fans, the highest of any professional sports team in the region.
  • WOW, formerly a group that represented only the team wives has evolved into a free club open to all female Redskins fans.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

Yeah! If you can't be first doing something then there's no use in doing it at all!

It's not so much that. There was a long thread, or a news article or something detailing how the Ravens were specifically targeting women for this club and it's been going on for years. It's more like, why the hell haven't the Skins been doing this already? The blueprint was out there.

It's not so much that. There was a long thread, or a news article or something detailing how the Ravens were specifically targeting women for this club and it's been going on for years. It's more like, why the hell haven't the Skins been doing this already? The blueprint was out there.

From a quick search on google it appears that, before this season, only 4 teams had fan clubs specifically for females.

Yes, one of which is our biggest competitor in this region. I would have hoped the Skins would have gotten on the horse quicker than this.

EDIT*

Not sure if this is the article or not

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2007/10/Issue-30/Franchises/Ravens-Start-New-Female-Fan-Club-Attract-Almost-3500-Members.aspx

But the Ravens started their club in August of 2007, and got almost 3,500 members off the bat. So we're talking over four years ago, the NFL team in close proximity to you starts this up, and you do nothing? For four years?

I'm glad the Skins are finally doing this, but my point remains, why did they wait so long?

I'm sure the reaction to this question will not be great....However, has anyone else noticed there aren't many good looking Redskins women fans compared to that of the other teams? Its just what I have noticed in MD, AZ, NJ, and FL. It may be that my sample size just isn't large enough. Don't get me wrong, those women are great because they root for the Skins. Thoughts?

Yes, one of which is our biggest competitor in this region. I would have hoped the Skins would have gotten on the horse quicker than this.

EDIT*

Not sure if this is the article or not

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2007/10/Issue-30/Franchises/Ravens-Start-New-Female-Fan-Club-Attract-Almost-3500-Members.aspx

But the Ravens started their club in August of 2007, and got almost 3,500 members off the bat. So we're talking over four years ago, the NFL team in close proximity to you starts this up, and you do nothing? For four years?

I'm glad the Skins are finally doing this, but my point remains, why did they wait so long?

Yeah, I knew the Ravens started theirs up 4 years ago. Still isn't a big deal to me, though. It would only be a big deal if, say 10 years went by, over half the teams in the league had female fan clubs...and the Redskins not only didn't have a female fan club, but also had no plans for starting one. THEN I'd be wondering wtf was up lol...

But, in 2007 the team ended up dealing with Sean Taylor's murder...followed by Joe Gibbs' sudden retirement...followed by the whole coaching search carousel...along with naming Vinny the de facto "GM"...followed by both Zorn and Vinny worried (rightfully) for their jobs...followed by both being fired lol...followed by the hiring of a bonafide, actual, legitimate GM...followed by the rebuilding of the roster...followed by the formation of the female fan club.

Would seem to me that the Skins not having an actual GM in place played a role in the delay...and Allen and Shanahan having a huge stinkin' mess to clean up after taking on their respective jobs delayed things a little longer.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 11:53 AM ----------

Or they can just come here to Extremeskins and get the same information...

Only they'd have to wade through all the twaddle and nonsense to get it lol...

I'm sure the reaction to this question will not be great....However, has anyone else noticed there aren't many good looking Redskins women fans compared to that of the other teams? Its just what I have noticed in MD, AZ, NJ, and FL. It may be that my sample size just isn't large enough. Don't get me wrong, those women are great because they root for the Skins. Thoughts?

I'm sure there's plenty of good looking female Skins fans, but they'd probably wear our colors more if we won more. Women like winners.

If it is indeed true--and I'm not buying that it is--then it's because female Redskins fans are actually fans of the Redskins, as opposed to, say, being fans of their boyfriend's favorite team lol.

I've said this story before, but it's relevant to your post. Years ago I used to go to watch the Skins game at a nearby hotel in Thousand Oaks, California near where I lived. They had about 3-4 monitors up and had NFL Sunday Ticket, so they put different games on different TVs. I used to go there with my young daughter (maybe about 7 years old) and my then-wife, and we'd eat breakfast and watch the Skins. There was another table of people wearing Skins gear, and it was also a family...a guy who looked like Cliff Claven from "Cheers" lol...his wife, and their two daughters (one a teenager, one about 12 years old). They looked like a normal, average family...just plain ol' mom, dad and kids.

What impressed me, though, was how much the daughters understood the game and knew the Redskins...they commented, got frustrated when things went bad, got excited over 1st downs and touchdowns alike...I looked at them and then would look over at my daughter and imagined her being just as much into the Skins as these girls were. It made me smile.

At another table, though, were always Cowboys fans...the guys looked like none of them were over 30, they all looked like they worked out...stubble on the face, obnoxiously loud at times...you know the type. And they had very pretty girlfriends (pretty sure they weren't wives). All of the ladies at the Cowboys tables wore Cowboys jerseys and looked damn good in them lol...my eyes did drift over there a few times in appreciation, I won't lie.

But what really stuck out at me was, while the guys were getting (overly) excited about the game--standing up, talking to the tv, high-fiving each other all the damn time--the female Cowboys "fans" either sat quietly, not saying anything and just staring almost blankly at the monitor...or they were talking amongst themselves and not even watching the game. If their boyfriends cheered, they'd look up at the tv...if the Cowboys scored a TD, they'd clap and smile and celebrate. Otherwise, they didn't seem to really care that much. It's like they wear the Dallas jerseys as a fashion statement and not a fan statement.

I always took from that contrast that female Redskins fans are actually Redskins fans...watching the games and following the team meant understanding both to an impressive degree. Female Cowboys fans care about what they look like when going out to watch the game...Female Skins fans just care about the game.

I don't know about other teams and their female fans...but to me those teenage female Skins fans and their mother, all of them talking knowledgeably about the team and the game, came off as far more attractive than the slender 25 year old female Cowboys "fans" who seemed to care little about the ends and outs of the game.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 12:43 PM ----------

And I loved the BB reference, I was a big fan of the show when ti was on.
THAT was a classic show!

f9tarPbPgKc

:thumbsup:

Not sure why we'd need a women's club. It is 2011, after all. It was my understanding that the days of gender specific organizations like this were coming to an end. Redskins fans are Redskins fans regardless of gender.

Why is there a need for a separate club for women?

They EVEN have their own thread in the tailgate that us machismo types aren't allowed to be involved with!

Not sure why we'd need a women's club. It is 2011, after all. It was my understanding that the days of gender specific organizations like this were coming to an end. Redskins fans are Redskins fans regardless of gender.

They have their own bathroom, too! What's that about?!

So they can talk about how annoying us guys are.

Archived