Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 players cut (per rotoword)

kong239

Clint Oldenberg cut too per rotoworld

Redskins waived S Anderson Russell and OL Clint Oldenburg.

Oldenburg didn't get many reps in camp behind Washington's healthy starting five linemen. Anderson, an Ohio State alum, tore his ACL last November.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/transactions/nfl/all/today/

Probably means Willie Smith makes the 53 man roster? Saw him play 2nd string LT a few times during the preseason.

I'm more suprised about Russell than I am about Horton. I guess Gomes and Doughty will back up Landry and Atogwe. Barnes could play FS in a pinch. Maybe Moore comes back in a few weeks. Even though the rotoworld writer doesn't like him, I've seen Hurt do some good things. I hope he makes the practice squad.

Oldenberg would be another good candidate for the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Davonte Shannon - DB - Redskins

Redskins waived S Davonte Shannon.

Shannon was a preseason standout with two sacks and difference-making special teams play, but the Skins are trying to sneak him onto the practice squad. Safety was just too deep a position in D.C. for Shannon to stick.

Also:

@MikeJonesWaPo Redskins have released Thadeus Gibson, source says.

RT @Rich_Campbell Seventh-round rookie LG Maurice Hurt was released, according to a source. Practice squad is a likelihood.

I'd expect Shannon to the PS if he clears.

I'd expect shannon and Hurt to be candidates for PS if they clear.

Per ESPN980 Twitter:

CB Reggie Jones also says (indirectly) on his twitter, that he's been released and will go to practice squad... link

ESPN 980

ESPN 980 has learned through a league source that Undrafted FA rookie OT Willie Smith has been informed that he has made the 53-man roster . -Chris Russell

https://www.facebook.com/espnradio980/posts/10150276254086691

From Twitter via GranthPaulsen:

Makes sense with new rules. Means they get to dress extra non QB. RT @LindsayFox5 Was just told the redskins are only keeping 2 QB'S!!!

Not posting till there's more solid information but I've seen conflicting twitter reports on Sellars being cut/Making the team.

Via RickMaese on Twitter:

This means a rookie wont make it RT @kjohnsoncsn Skins Team source tells me that WR Dante Stallworth has made the team.

ESPN980 via twitter:

CSNwashington Kelli Johnson reports Sellers has made it. Again, I stress - just because you make the team now... link

More: CSNwashington Kelli Johnson reports Sellers has made it. Again, I stress - just because you make the team now (and this goes for anybody) doesn't mean you a lock for even Week 1. A lot of cuts, and transactions before.

52 minutes ago

Too bad Horton didn't last over time and I know Williams will leave with some of us missing him finding a way to stick. but it's nice for a change to have enough young talent that we let such guys go and not in order to keep vastly over-paid dinosaurs who aren't going to deliver.

Good news about Willie Smith, hopefully our RT in a few years.

---------- Post added September-3rd-2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

"Undrafted FA rookie OT Willie Smith has been informed that he has made the 53-man roster"

-Wow, good for him!

-Skins add some depth through an undrafted rookie, good for us!

Prob gonna be

C/G Monty Chester Lich

G Hicks

T Williams Brown Locklear White

I can't believe Sellers made it. I hope that if Paul is cut, he makes the PS. It appears that Shanny thinks he can win this year so is not completely going with a youth movement.

Sellers might not be as bad of move as some people think..... He has been taught many positions now, and can be moved all over the field.... Mike might have some tricks up his sleeve with the way he uses Sellers this year, espeacially around the goal line..... He will be a situational player though

I'm more suprised about Russell than I am about Horton. I guess Gomes and Doughty will back up Landry and Atogwe. Barnes could play FS in a pinch. Maybe Moore comes back in a few weeks. Even though the rotoworld writer doesn't like him, I've seen Hurt do some good things. I hope he makes the practice squad.

You must of not seen the Tampa Bay game. Russell was awful.

Archived