Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thankful we didn't draft him...

LuckyJay757

With news out of Jacksonville that Blaine Gabbert has been demoted to 3rd string I hope people in Redskin nation are happy we didn't draft him. I must admit I've watch a few plays live but credit mostly SC for footage of Gabbert, however he didn't make a splash in the preseason, therefore there wasn't too much to watch. In Washington we are still awaiting the naming of our own QB but I'm happy to say I'm thankful we didn't draft this one. Another WIN for the new and improved front office!

Gabbert was drafted to Jacksonville, Locker is in Tennessee (and doing pretty awesome).

I'm assuming you meant Jacksonville. I'm happy we have Kerrigan, the guy is playing a LOT better than I would have imagined, especially if you told me he'd miss nearly all the offseason practices (due to lockout and injury). He's ahead of where Orakpo was at this time in his rookie season, IMO.

So, yeah, I'm happy we didn't draft Gabbert, however, Beck looked very shaky last night. He had some great stuff and some really not great stuff. I hope whoever we pick as starter will really solidify this week.

You mean news out of Jacksonville?

Yeah, I'm not going to write Gabbert off yet, McCown is a veteran who played well in preseason. I'm going to wait a couple years to judge Gabbert.

(You should never draft a QB and expect him to be your starter the same year without a doubt)

I agree, it's dumb to judge any QB based on: #1 preseason & #2 especially their rookie preseason

I'm more happy about it because Kerrigan looks like he's a perfect fit opposite Orakpo.

Mostly, I'm waiting for Conn to come in and give the OP an earful. He was a HUGE Gabbert lover.

Thanks guys for the correction, so pissed that AH is running his pot hole I was thinking J-Ville but typing Tennessee. I'm not writing Gabbert off but success at that position is so dependent on the supporting cast of players. Not saying that the guy would not have had success in D.C, I'm just happy that we drafted someone who from the preseason looks like he's going to come in and help out verses someone who looks as if they're not even going to play this year.

Even if this were a normal year, too early to judge a rookie QB from preseason. In a lockout-shortened offseason, definitely too early to judge.

Having said that, I'm not a Gabbert fan and I'm not surprised by his early struggles. But I'm not writing him off. He can be good, but it's not a shock that he's not good yet.

You mean news out of Jacksonville?

Yeah, I'm not going to write Gabbert off yet, McCown is a veteran who played well in preseason. I'm going to wait a couple years to judge Gabbert.

(You should never draft a QB and expect him to be your starter the same year without a doubt)

This^

Its WAY WAY WAY too early to project Gabberts career

Let alone anyone predicting Ryans career but I believe that Ryan looks great so far to me

and I was kinda surprised he got the night off last night...for a rookie that tells us he impressed the hell out of Coach Shannahan

We did alright moving down like that, and the more involved this rookie class gets with the team the better this trade down is going to look long term

No offense, but the first 2-3 years of Aaron Rodger's career you would have said the same thing. Same thing with Brees. Same with Favre, the first year or two.

Its stupid to judge any player on what they've done in the preseason of their rookie year. Especially after a lockout that made them lose the majority of the offseason. And even more so for any QB.

This isn't a surprise guy needs to hold a clipboard for a while. You don't want him coming off the bench to relieve Garrard

Exactly, it is pretty standard that a rookie either starts or is #3. They just don't know the system well enough to be able to be the #2 guy and come in with very little game plan work during the week.... Your #2 guy ideally is a Todd Collins/ leftwich type, he may not have any upside and may not be as talented as the #3 guy, but he knows your system inside and out...

I still believe, redskins would have taken Locker. IMO more upside than REx or Beck...but we'll see. a lot has to do with the teams that drafted both of them.

Locker is on a better team than Gabbert.

I still wouldn't rule out gabbert at all. Gabbert will be a solid QB in the NFL, not a top tier QB though. More like Flacco

Still need to see locker get more consistent on his throws, needs to stop throwing over WRs

What people also ignore about Gabbert is that it was borderline shocking that he actually declared. I'm sure it was because Luck went back to school, but the guy just turned 21. He's a very raw prospect with definite pro skills. He's actually quite lucky that he was drafted by a team that could afford to sit him, because that's the ideal situation for him.

Even stevemcqueen, the biggest Gabbert fan on this board, would tell you that the guy needs to sit, learn, and refine his game. He's looked exactly as you'd expect a guy like him to look.

I live in Jacksonville and I have watched each of the Jags games here. He has looked pretty fair, but comparable to Garrard. However, it is not nearly the type of QB tandom we have in DC. The Jaguars offense is going to be horrible. Now, neither Garrard or Gabbert have had big Lewis to throw to or MJD to play with (1 series in this last game doesn't count).

He is best to sit for this entire year, maybe even next year, until Jack Del Rio-or the next coach-surrounds him with more talent. The only WR worth a damn on the Jags is their rookie Cecil Shorts. Mike Thomas hasn't looked very good yet.

Archived