Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: JC Penney pulls controversial T-Shirt

MattFancy

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/epic-t-shirt-fail-quot-im-too-pretty-to-do-my-homework-so-my-brother-has-to-do-it-for-me-quot-2537106/

A few months ago, the Internet was up in arms over a white David & Goliath T-Shirt that read, in pink bubble letters, "I'm too pretty to do math." Then there was the one with "Future Trophy Wife" written on it.

But many parents think this one is worse.

The long-sleeve T-shirt that J.C. Penney pulled off its website today amid plenty of parental outrage read: "I'm too pretty to do my homework so my brother has to do it for me." And, judging by the description of the shirt on the J.C. Penney website—"Who has time for homework when there’s a new Justin Bieber album out? She’ll love this tee that’s just as cute and sassy as she is"—it seems like the company didn't have a problem with the shirt until customers started to complain.

Thanks, major clothing retailers. We struggle to teach our girls that beauty isn't everything, that they don't have to play dumb in order to be popular, that women can be both smart and pretty. But, even though studies show that girls are as good at math as boys, even with beautiful movie stars earning Ivy League degrees in between blockbuster hits, the stereotypes persist—thanks in large part to messages like the one on that "cute and sassy" T-shirt marketed to girls age 7 to 16.

Wouldnt it be easier for people who dont like the shirt to simply not buy it?

Im offended by lots of shirts I see people wearing. Can I get stores to stop carrying them too?

That's my feeling. If you don't like something, don't watch/listen/buy/etc. Don't ruin it for the people that actually enjoy it.

JC Penney pulled it because they saw it as good business. What's more free-market than that?

My problem isnt with JC Penny's decision, its with the whiney, snively people who complained about someone elses T shirts that they could have simply chosen not to buy and let others make their own buying decisions.

My problem isnt with JC Penny's decision, its with the whiney, snively people who complained about someone elses T shirts that they could have simply chosen not to buy and let others make their own buying decisions.

Interesting take on freedom of speech for a libertarian to make.

Unlimited freedom for businesses to sell whatever they want, but bad form for citizens to exercise their free speech rights to say that something someone is selling is stupid or offensive. :whoknows:

(confession: everyone sees this stuff through their own prism of what is appropriate, including me. If the shirt, say, praised freedom of choice for women, and conservative religious people boycotted the store until they pulled the shirt from the shelves, my initial reaction would be to be pissed off. It would take some thinking before I would see the error of my ways.)

Unlimited freedom for businesses to sell whatever they want, but bad form for citizens to exercise their free speech rights to say that something someone is selling is stupid or offensive. :whoknows:

They can say something is stupid or offensive, but they shouldn't force the company to stop selling it. If you don't like it, don't buy it or stop shopping there.

I can support the freedom to do something while still not agreeing with that something. I wouldnt whine and complain about people doing that something to the point of eliminating their ability to do it.

I can support the freedom to do something while still not agreeing with that something. I wouldnt whine and complain about people doing that something to the point of eliminating their ability to do it.

They didn't eliminate their ability to do it. JC Penney could still sell the shirt if they wanted to. They decided it would hurt business, but that's their call. T-Shirt Hell will still sell it, because they have a different target audience.

(also note that I edited my post from a minute ago to add my own confession on the subject....)

They didn't eliminate their ability to do it. JC Penney could still sell the shirt if they wanted to. They decided it would hurt business, but that's their call. T-Shirt Hell will still sell it, because they have a different target audience.

(also note that I edited my post from a minute ago to add my own confession on the subject....)

I agree that they didnt have that right. Again, I dont have an issue with JC Penny's decision at all. I do have an issue with the whiners.

what's more free market than complaining? They have that right. JC Penney can either say "**** you" (perfectly within their rights) or, decide to pull the shirts in the interest of appealing to the largest demographic possible. Again, within their rights.

This is free-market stuff here, not sure how anyone can see it differently

what's more free market than complaining? They have that right. JC Penney can either say "**** you" (perfectly within their rights) or, decide to pull the shirts in the interest of appealing to the largest demographic possible. Again, within their rights.

This is free-market stuff here, not sure how anyone can see it differently

I think you must be misunderstanding me. For a third time, the only issue I have is with the people complaining, not because they complain, but because they do so with the specific goal of not allowing others to buy the shirts.

The constant attempts to turn this into a free market discussion are rather silly, especially after my perspective has been explained ad nausium.

I think you must be misunderstanding me. For a third time, the only issue I have is with the people complaining, not because they complain, but because they do so with the specific goal of not allowing others to buy the shirts.

The constant attempts to turn this into a free market discussion are rather silly, especially after my perspective has been explained ad nausium.

People will (and do) always complain, and always try to shape the world to suit their point of view. It has and will always be done.

Your anger should be directed at those caving, i.e. JC Penney :D

Our society is so fragile and sensitive. Cant take humor, even if its humor they dont like.

Agreed, and while I don't care the message that it presents, these same parents apparently don't care that the boy's t-shirts talk about not doing homework because there are video games and sports to be played. Once again America's gender double standard rears it's head. Another example is that today in commercials men are routinely made to look like complete idiots and women are always the levelheaded brains of the operation, all this while the feminists screamed about commercials that showed women as being the hired help.

Agreed, and while I don't care the message that it presents, these same parents apparently don't care that the boy's t-shirts talk about not doing homework because there are video games and sports to be played. Once again America's gender double standard rears it's head. Another example is that today in commercials men are routinely made to look like complete idiots and women are always the levelheaded brains of the operation, all this while the feminists screamed about commercials that showed women as being the hired help.

I've noticed the "man is a dolt" thing in prime time Tv and movies too. I thought it was me being grumpy but thankfully someone else noticed!

Archived