Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Giants' QB battle was currently between Grossman and Beck, what would your assessment be?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Legitimate question: If you were told that the Giants had still not decided who would be their starting QB on opening day and you were then told that the choices were Rex Grossman and John Beck' date=' how would you honestly react?

A series of guffaws? Abject terror? Confusion? Perhaps an unexplained desire for corn chips?

I think we would be having some fun with that knowledge - or at least other people would. I hate fun.[/quote']

I would be laughing it up along with the rest of the league, and circling two wins on the Skins' schedule.

I know people don't think too highly of Eli, but he's proven to be a stable, decent starting QB in the NFL. And he's got a Super Bowl ring.

BecksMan would obviously be a drastic downgrade for the G-men.

Legitimate question: If you were told that the Giants had still not decided who would be their starting QB on opening day and you were then told that the choices were Rex Grossman and John Beck' date=' how would you honestly react?

A series of guffaws? Abject terror? Confusion? Perhaps an unexplained desire for corn chips?

I think we would be having some fun with that knowledge - or at least other people would. I hate fun.[/quote']

I admit if they played for the Giants I wouldn't have paid as close attention and just like you I would say they suck. Happily I have been paying attention however. You might want to start.

Well, I would probably not follow the Giants so closely as a Redskins fan, so I would most likely pick up ESPN talking points and assume that the Giants QBs will suck and put them last in the NFC East. I wouldn't be that concerned about it. I've been used to my Giants beating up the Skins the last few years. I have been conditioned for the last decade to not expect much from the Skins and their QBs.

If I was following the Giants closely and watched every game, while reading NY press, I would probably be 50/50 on Rex. I wouldn't be scared of Rex, but I would keep an eye out for him to see if he's another Jake Plummer. Beck would intrigue me. I wouldn't be scared of Beck right now, but would see the possibilities of him becoming a good QB.

The results of the Giants game will form more solid opinions. If I was a Giants fan and the Redskins come out and win the opener and the Redskins QB was lighting us up, I would come to more of a realization that the Redskins might have something going on. Seeing is believing.

---------- Post added August-31st-2011 at 03:49 PM ----------

I would be sooooo mad at Vinny for trading all those picks to get Eli Manning when Roethlisberger was there for the taking!!

Hell, the Giants had Philip Rivers for a short time.

I'd probably be pissed off knowing that even without a proven QB they'd still find a way to beat us and win the East somehow.

I have no evidence to back this up so take it for what it's worth but I have a feeling that Shanahan chose Beck as the starter during the offseason. I think he feels that Beck has the better attributes to run this offense. I also feel though that Shanahan knew before he could name Beck the starter, Beck would have to at least go out and show SOMETHING in the preseason. He couldn't just come out and name Beck the starter when he had a QB on the roster such as Grossman, who has been in this offense for a few years now, has NFL starting experience, and can be decent to good in the right situation(s). (Afterall, spin it anyway you like, he was the starting QB on a Superbowl team).

So Shanahan, basically had to play this game with the media where it was a 50/50 QB competition. He had to make it look like each guy had an equal shot at the starting spot and that it would be a competition throughout camp and preseason.

My hunch is that it has been Beck's starting spot to lose. Beck was always going to be the starter unless he screwed up during the preseason games. Up to now he has looked solid, at least as good as Grossman, some would argue better, while some would argue neither guy has done something to look much better than the other, however when the coach is on your side, that is enough.

I don't have a problem with this because to me, it comes down to trusting the coach & GM that they are putting the best players on the field to help the team win. If Beck is the starter on Sept 11th, I believe it is because the coaches think he is the best we have.

Thoughts?

Archived