Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has really struggled this preseaon?

PeterMP

Yeah, I don't really understand this hate on Hankerson. Dude has the potential to be great.

it's a kneejerk reaction to kelly and thomas.

bums do not set receiving records at a school with the history of miami and a bum qb.

but it's a fast food league and everyone want's to write you off if you aren't pro bowl your first year. we've got plenty of depth at WR to let him learn this year.

So when he did that at Miami for the last two years it was a fluke?
Are you denying that Hankerson has a history of dropping balls? Are you denying the persistent reports that he drops them in practice? Have you watched him run his routes in the games? He has looked lost at times.

---------- Post added August-27th-2011 at 11:19 AM ----------

Yeah, I don't really understand this hate on Hankerson. Dude has the potential to be great.
That's why I used the phrase "lLooks like Tarzan..."

Are you denying that Hankerson has a history of dropping balls? Are you denying the persistent reports that he drops them in practice? Have you watched him run his routes in the games? He has looked lost at times.

Have you watched him run routes in games? In person? Route running is not his problem.

he's a rookie in the NFL playing WR. they usually don't come out of college as polished route runners because they don't have to be. usually they're just more athletic than the guy who's defending them and don't have an nfl qb that can hit them on a crisp route.

oldfan, i'm very disappointing in this simplistic view you're taking here. everything bad he's shown is teachable and comes with the growing pains of transferring from college to the NFL.

Are you denying that Hankerson has a history of dropping balls? Are you denying the persistent reports that he drops them in practice? Have you watched him run his routes in the games?

You're right Oldfan, he has had the dropsies... He's had 3 drops in 3 games. He's been targeted 8 times. He's got 5 catches. He's caught the past 4 balls thrown his way. 3 of the 4 were pretty difficult catches. And by the way.. The Tweets from the past 2 weeks have said that he's been catching mostly everything in practice. Route Running? Do you watch film of these games? You can't see the WR's routes on the television....

And lets say he continues at the pace of 5 catches every 3 games...Thats 26 catches for a 4th or 5th receiver, that's pretty good.

oldfan, i'm very disappointing in this simplistic view you're taking here. everything bad he's shown is teachable and comes with the growing pains of transferring from college to the NFL.
Simplistic? There's nothing complicated here, I don't like what I've seen so far. I've seen a guy who looks like Tarzan who hasn't been able to cure a dropping pattern despite one helluva lot of coaching. And, to me, he looks like a sloppy route runner.

If you disagree, so be it.

You're right Oldfan, he has had the dropsies... He's had 3 drops in 3 games. He's been targeted 8 times. He's got 5 catches. He's caught the past 4 balls thrown his way. 3 of the 4 were pretty difficult catches. And by the way.. The Tweets from the past 2 weeks have said that he's been catching mostly everything in practice. Route Running? Do you watch film of these games? You can't see the WR's routes on the television....

And lets say he continues at the pace of 5 catches every 3 games...Thats 26 catches for a 4th or 5th receiver, that's pretty good.

3 of his 5 catches were for first downs.

Struggling to make the 53 roster would be Niles Paul and Evan Royster. I know they're rookies but neither has really stood out and done anything special. I expect both on the PS though.

I disagree. Both looked good in limited action. Niles Paul especially looked good in the Ravens game--good return, nice blocking, a few receptions and a good effort going up for a bad throw over the middle that nearly got him killed. Royster looked very good and natural in our system when he got his carries in the first game. He'll probably be put on the PS but I think he'll be promoted sometime this season if he clears waivers.

I also disagree with the other poster who said the QBs, secondary, and OL are struggling. The QBs obviously aren't struggling. Saying they are is simply untrue.

The OL has given up pressures, but that's normal. For the most part they've been steady in pass pro and they have been killing it in the run game. They are miles ahead of where the OL was last year and the year before.

Just about every one of our OLBs and DLs have been superb. Losing Jenkins really sucks but we are still set to be able to weather it. I can't remember seeing or being impressed by Anthony Bryant though. Is he on the ropes?

The safety play has mostly been lackluster without our starters but our corners have generally been excellent. A couple gems have emerged--Dejon Gomes and Brandyn Thompson need to make the roster and Kevin Barnes really looks like he can play. Josh Wilson might not be the starter.

Reed Doughty has been up and down and looked like he was pressing too hard against the Ravens and abandoning some of the things he's good at. I'm not sure he's the best fit in our scheme as it demands a ton from the safeties. Nevertheless, I think he'll be a reliable reserve.

Chris Horton has struggled too and I don't know if he'll stick around. Also, where is Kareem Moore? I can't remember seeing him at all and if that's the case, then that's not good for him.

I agree that Rocky has been the biggest disappointment so far, but so have the rest of the ILBs excepting Keyaron Fox and London. London is aging and I'm not sure Fox is a long term solution (waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak). Blades hasn't been great and Riley doesn't look nearly as impressive as he did last preseason. I'm sad Robert Henson was cut. Clearly someone from our group of ILBs needs to step up or this position will probably be our biggest long term need going into the draft.

That said, it doesn't surprise me at all that our more marginal safeties and ILBs have been struggling so much. Their assignments are among the most demanding in the scheme and they probably require the most complicated reads. It takes a long time to master those positions for our defense. Only freaks like London and LaRon can learn the defense from scratch so fast and Atogwe will probably be alright since he's a Stanford man and played for Haslett for several seasons.

On offense, Donta Stallworth is really the only name I can summon and it's not like he has been bad. He just made a few memorable mistakes. Kellen Clemens (sp?) has looked unsettled and a bit inaccurate--I know, I know, he's a 3rd string QB in the system for a month, big deal.

Are you denying his potential as a development project? Which most all third round WR's are? Are you denying this guy also acknowledged his drop problem and went to work on it? Has he come out and said it is no big deal? His history of dropping balls was in early years of college and he still owns the single season record for receptions and is fifth overall in receptions at Miami. Which has and had quality NFL WR's. At least give him the benefit of the next two years before you declare him a bust. That catch off the carpet was a glimpse of this guys potential. HE has a knack for dropping a few, but he is also well known to make the spectacular catch.

Read up OF. Jane meet Tarzan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-36-Leonard-Hankerson-WR-Mi?urn=nfl-319675

Pros: Had a pretty serious problem with drops early in his collegiate career, but his work with former Dolphins great Mark Duper and subsequent improvement speaks to his ability to take coaching and turn it into production. Has a good understanding of, and the ability to run, the entire route tree. Hankerson is particularly polished on intermediate vertical routes that allow him to get going after the catch.

Shows good toughness in traffic, as well as on comebacks with defenders all over him. Great in any route where short-quick cuts are needed. He sits in zones very well and gets upfield with authority. He will go up to catch high throws on slants and posts with everything he's got - no fear when it comes to potential tacklers obviously closing in for big hits. Duper wasn't the only former NFL star to help him out - his position coach in high school was should-be-Hall-of-Famer Cris Carter.

and the most recent article in the Post...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-rookie-leonard-hankerson-trying-to-eliminate-mental-glitches/2011/08/24/gIQABPoidJ_blog.html

Despite the struggles, Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan both continue to express confidence in Hankerson. Kyle Shanahan said the drops are a result of mental lapses that can plague any rookie adjusting to the NFL.

“I think he’s not used to coming off the bench,” Kyle Shanahan said. “I don’t think he’s ever done that in his life. Guys like that, their eyes aren’t ready, and the speed of the game, they’re off. We need him catching balls more on the sideline and getting ready, and have the mindset that there’s no makeup play. Even if it’s the last play of the game and he hasn’t played all game, he needs to be ready like it’s the first play of the game. It just shows what rookies go through.”

Simplistic? There's nothing complicated here, I don't like what I've seen so far. I've seen a guy who looks like Tarzan who hasn't been able to cure a dropping pattern despite one helluva lot of coaching. And, to me, he looks like a sloppy route running.

If you disagree, so be it.

his dig pattern a week or two ago was sloppy. he didn't snap around he kind of muddled and the throw went outside of him. since then i haven't seen a bad route from him.

as for "helluva lot of coaching" what a joke. he's been the victim of this abbreviated offseason just like everyone else. he's had no more or less coaching than most players. that you're just making up because you have no idea of the amount of coaching he's had.

come on oldfan, you're really getting bad here. at least stick to some kind of fact instead of just making stuff up.

TO was a pretty good receiver with the dropping pattern and a helluva a lot of coaching. he also looks like tarzan.

next question.

I could outplay the Comb if I ran out onto the field in the middle of the field and get tackled by security.

Yeah and you'd be a UDFA with no big contract and still had greater impact. All I am saying is that it is rediculous for fans not to give this guy at least two years to see what he has based on his past production. Kelly is gone, and he was given time, and he had potential....he was a second rounder.

As for the original question, I'd say Horatio Blades, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Horton and Reggie Jones.

I think that's accurate. I'm hoping we can bring in another veteran LB. Tatupu still has not signed with anyone I don't think.

I think Thompson and most of our reserve OL has played very well.

Thompson - Westbrook battle for a spot is close I think.

his dig pattern a week or two ago was sloppy. he didn't snap around he kind of muddled and the throw went outside of him. since then i haven't seen a bad route from him.

as for "helluva lot of coaching" what a joke. he's been the victim of this abbreviated offseason just like everyone else. he's had no more or less coaching than most players. that you're just making up because you have no idea of the amount of coaching he's had.

come on oldfan, you're really getting bad here. at least stick to some kind of fact instead of just making stuff up.

TO was a pretty good receiver with the dropping pattern and a helluva a lot of coaching. he also looks like tarzan.

next question.

-It is not how you start, it is how you finish. And this guy finished college and will finish in the NFL strong, why? He works hard and does not have the ego issues that usually come with the position.

At least Hankerson has been in position to make plays. A guy like Devin Thomas was practically invisible, unless it was a blown coverage or a screen pass. It's important to be patient with him. He doesn't have naturally good hands, like TO didn't, and he's having to quickly absorb an NFL offense, which is no doubt impacting his physical concentration, because he has so much to process right now. But at least he's been visible, which is refreshing change of pace from recent WR picks we've had.

SWFLSkins: Read up OF.
I have read all of that and more. The fact that he has a great attitude and takes coaching well sounds good, but when you consider that he hasn't been able to cure the drop problem with all that effort, it indicates that the problem might be difficult to solve.

Read what I've said. I haven't proclaimed him a bust. I'm saying that what I've seen is disappointing. He came in billed as "the steal of the draft" by many.

I have read all of that and more. The fact that he has a great attitude and takes coaching well sounds good, but when you consider that he hasn't been able to cure the drop problem with all that effort, it indicates that the problem might be difficult to solve.

Read what I've said. I haven't proclaimed him a bust. I'm saying that what I've seen is disappointing. He came in billed as "the steal of the draft by many."

And I believe that to be true, he will be. He will out perform both Kelly and Thomas for thier careers combined as Redskins probably this year if not next. I just don't understand your impatience with this individual and not giving him some latitude with the couple drops his first preseason out. I think that with him, AA, TA and Nile Paul the Redskins will be able to draft elsewhere for the forseeable future and the career of Santana Moss just got extended. Now if only we had a up and comer at corner.

The only problem difficult to solve would be one that you don't recognize, the fact that the guy overcame this same problem in college and acknowledges it should be enough for now. A freak like him does not come along very often, and I hope the Tarzan nickname sticks.

Archived