Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT:Report: Ryan Harris has herniated disc, will undergo surgery

Santana_89

It sounds like we can cross off Ryan Harris as an option for Philadelphia’s shaky right tackle position.

Howard Eskin of 610 WIP and NBC-10 reports Harris has a herniated disc in his back. The free agent pickup will have back surgery next week, according to CSNPhilly.com.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/26/report-ryan-harris-has-herniated-disc

How glad are you now that we re-signed Jammal Brown now?

HOLA! That's a tough break for Philthy. (Trying not to laugh TOO hard.).

To require surgery for something that normally just needs rest, pain meds and physio he must be in some serious pain. It makes one wonder if that was the reason we never persued him and re-signed Jammal. Good due diligence by the 'Skins if it was.

Hail.

I feel bad for Ryan, that guy is a solid player and would have helped their line out a lot.

On the other hand, what was once the achilles heel for the Skins is now the Eagle's problem. They got a bunch of guys at a position that was a relative strength (CB) and ignored an area where they didn't have sufficient depth (OL and LBer).

This is going to be an awesome season for them.

Their offensive line is absolutely horrendous. If Vick was getting hit like that against the Browns . . . . I don't know what will happen when he goes through the NFC-East.

I can't see him last more than 6 games before dealing with his first concussion.

How long does that take to rehab from?

Depends on the individual case man. Normally they'd prescribe anti-inflammatory/ pain meds and rest and see how it went over 4-6 weeks or so. Then physio if that didn't help. This being severe enough to require surgery who knows, but Harris being young and fit should speed it up.

I really feel for the dude. Back pains an absolute *****.

Hail.

Amazing, Reid has always emphasized the importance of the OL and that's now they are thin there. Harris's prior injury history is why the Eagles got him fairly cheap.

On the other hand, what was once the achilles heel for the Skins is now the Eagle's problem. They got a bunch of guys at a position that was a relative strength (CB) and ignored an area where they didn't have sufficient depth (OL and LBer). This is going to be an awesome season for them.
I think they are going to be sorry they didn't resign Stewart Bradley.

Amazing, Reid has always emphasized the importance of the OL and that's now they are thin there. Harris's prior injury history is why the Eagles got him fairly cheap.

That's because his picks haven't panned out that much, and they are getting used to Mudd. Justice could come back strong, or not. No one knows. He was playing OK before his injury in Dec. But it's all on the Eagles FO in my mind, because they have a couple rookies starting in Kelce and Watkins. They had plenty of time to figure out a plan. Their plan was to sign an injured player on the cheap. Learn from your mistakes, Banner. Didn't you do that with Stacy Andrews? Somehow, they aren't getting killed for this, and people still think dream team.

Their backups that we became familiar with are gone. Players like Max Jean Gillis, Nick Cole, they were in Mud Ville and they're history. Actually so are players like McGlynn and Jamall Jackson, but they're still around. When Justice comes back, who knows if Mudd will hate him as well. It's still possible that we could see Herremans slip into that RT spot.

Just reported on Eagles Live - Todd Herremans ( Starting LG, but used to be a RT, until last year) is now the Eagles RT until proven otherwise. Veteran LG Mathis replaces him and J. Jackson is back healthy and will start at Center again. Biggest concern is now the rookie RG Watkins - will need to step it up fast or he will be benched , but as most teams- they have a rookie/2nd year guys playing on the line and trying to get younger there for the future. This line is alot differet than the crap they had out there the last 2 pre season games..

I had this injury my senior year of high school when I was seventeen. The doctors told me never to play football again.

I haven't a clue the extent of his herniation, or which vertebrae it's in. Mine was in the L4-L5 region of the lower back. The herniation was bulging into my ciatic nerve and causing a shooting pain down both my legs as well as complete loss of feeling. At times I thought I was "going paralyzed." I recovered fully from the surgery and feel great. I still play tennis and non contact sports, but I was told never to play football again. The "jelly" in the disk that herniated out was so much that I don't have much left between those two bones. As a result, each impact I take is bone on bone contact. Nothing major in everyday life, but not something I wanted on the football field.

Depending on how much of the disk remains after the herniation is scraped away will effect how quickly he rehabs and how much pain he will live with if he chooses to stay on the football field.

Archived