Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2011 Redskins vs Ravens (Final)

NoLeafClover

ES Coverage: 2011 Redskins vs Ravens

8/25/11

6083631141_755d3577a2_b.jpg

DEFEAT (WELL, KIND OF ...)

Ravens Back-ups 34 - Redskins Back-ups 31

:helmet:

Hello everyone and welcome. I am your host, Joel, joined, as always, by murf and we are just hours away from another exciting Redskins preseason game. I am thrilled to be back covering games for ExtremeSkins this season. And I have to say, this game in particular means a lot to me.

You see, I recently moved to Baltimore from Richmond, VA. So that means that if the Ravens win tonight, I will never hear the end of it. And worst of all, I'll have to hear all the trash talk in that ridiculous Baltimore accent. I'm not sure my eardrums can take it.

But that's why I'm pumped for tonight's game. However, I do realize that your mileage may vary.

I know that for football fans, the preseason is always a bit dicey. It's hard to tell too much from preseason because the starters see limited playing time and everyone is running at half speed. (To put it in terms Redskins fans can relate to - the preseason is often like the Pro Bowl, without a Sean Taylor-type running around crushing punters.) The Redskins find themselves 2-0 right now, but the Steelers and Colts teams they defeated are nothing like what they will be in the regular season. In short, it's hard to know exactly where the team stands.

But don't worry, all that changes this week. Tonight the Redskins face the Baltimore Ravens. And to the Ravens, preseason is a dirty word. They don't understand the meaning of the phrase "exhibition game." Crab cakes and football, that's what Maryland does, hon. With a 24-13 lead against the Kansas City Chiefs last week, John Harbaugh called a timeout with seconds left on the clock to get one last meaningless touchdown.

And this week proves to be even more intense. This is what outside linebacker Jarret Johnson had to say about tonight's game: "This is the biggest dress rehearsal for a real game. We watched more film for them than we did the other games. The first preseason game, you barely watch any film on your opponent. Second, you watch a little bit.

"This game, we actually broke down some plays and watched them on film and game-planned them a little bit. This is definitely the biggest dress rehearsal as far as a preseason game," Johnson said.

Now, aside from the fact that the phrase "dress rehearsal" ruins the whole tough guy, gridiron imagery by likening tonight's game to a practice for a performance of Guys and Dolls, it's safe to say this contest could get heated. This will be the first real test of John Beck and company, our first opportunity to see what this season may hold for our beloved Redskins.

For tonight's game, I'm going to try to do something a little bit different. While 99 percent of the football-loving world only watches whoever has the ball, I'm going to focus elsewhere. I'm spotlighting four players who could play a huge role in whether or not the Redskins find success in 2011.

Specifically, I want to watch left tackle Trent Williams, fullback Darrel Young, rookie linebacker Ryan Kerrigan and cornerback Kevin Barnes. I want to see how each of them fares in their individual match-ups against Baltimore and then once those four are done, I'll try to wing it and see who else stands out.

I'm anxious to see the continued progress of Williams and the evolution of Young as a fullback on the offensive side of the ball. I want to see how they fare against a tough Ravens defense that will likely do what they can to make the Redskins QBs uneasy in the pocket.

On defense, I want to see something special from Barnes, who will see increased playing time thanks to Phillip Buchanan's four-game suspension. I also want to see rookie Ryan Kerrigan makes strides in areas other than rushing the passer.

Like I said, these are the four guys I'm most looking forward to seeing in action tonight.

But we still have a few hours between now and game time. So for now let me know what you'd like to see out there tonight, either from our coverage of the game or from the team itself. Or just stop by and say hello.

7:25 PM - They finally took down the "Due to severe weather, please take cover" message from the Jumbotron, so that's a good sign. For now, the rain has stopped. We'll see if that holds.

7:27 PM - The stadium is starting to fill up now. I see quite a few couples where one person is a Redskins fan and the other is a Ravens fan. So regardless of the outcome, there's going to be a few awkward ride homes here tonight.

7:32 PM - Jarvis Jenkins will start at left DE in place of Adam Carriker; Keyaron Fox will start at MLB in place of London Fletcher and Byron Westbrook will start at right CB in place of Josh Wilson. And, as you've heard by now, Rex Grossman gets the start at QB.

7:42 PM - I wonder if Jaws is breaking down the mechanics of the head nod I just gave him in the hall of the press box.

7:57 PM - They just did a moment of silence for Mike Flanagan here in the stadium.

8:06 PM - Ray Lewis just got his own theme music - Nelly's "Hot in Herre."

8:08 PM - Washington will receive. Anthony Armstrong is back to receive. We are almost underway.

8:14 PM - Following a nice stop by Jarvis Jenkins, DeAngelo Hall picks off an interception and returns it 52-yards for the touchdown. 7-0

8:21 PM - Jarvis Jenkins shaken up on the play. The trainers are looking at his right leg.

8:21 PM - Jenkins has to helped off the field.

8:27 PM - Jenkins has a sprained right knee. His return is questionable.

8:31 PM - On first down, Trent Williams does a good job holding his block on Brendon Ayanbadejo, then gives him a little shove in the back after the play for good measure.

8:35 PM - Reed Doughty does a nice job sniffing out the reverse for a seven-yard loss.

8:37 PM - Rex Grossman goes 2 for 6 for 27 yards in his first two possessions. John Beck checks in at quarterback.

8:39 PM - On his first pass, John Beck connects on a 33-yard pass to Anthony Armstrong. On the sideline, Rex Grossman bites his fist and fights back tears.

8:41 PM - A beautiful 37-yard run by Tim Hightower (who cut behind a nice block by Trent Williams). Beck's first possession is three plays, 70 yards, 39 seconds. Rex Grossman is being treated on the sidelines for bruised pride. 14-0

8:48 PM - A great individual effort by Ryan Kerrigan, who comes up with a sack for a three-yard loss. He follows that up with a neutral zone violation though.

END OF FIRST QUARTER

14-0

8:55 PM - I don't think anyone told Brian Orakpo that this is a preseason game.

8:57 PM - The Ravens scoring summary - 13 plays, 68 yards, six minutes and 26 seconds. There were two Redskins penalties, including the running into the kicker call that kept the drive going. The drive ended with a three-yard touchdown run by Ray Rice. 14-7

9:08 PM - Ryan Kerrigan really enjoys hanging out in the neutral zone.

9:14 PM - Kerrigan gave up on the play on the six-yard pass to Rice. He thought Flacco was contained. He's got to learn to play to the whistle.

9:15 PM - The Ravens score again. Seven plays, 96 yards in four minutes and 38 seconds. Once again, two defensive penalties kept the drive alive. The drive ends with a 35 yard touchdown pass to Lee Evans. 14-14

9:17 PM - Rex Grossman is back in at quarterback. John Beck goes one for three for 33 yards in his first two drives.

9:23 PM - "Offsides offense. The entire offensive line." Who knew Jeff Triplette was funny?

9:24 PM - Kevin Barnes with a seven-yard sack. DeJon Gomes came on a blitz too, but was picked up.

9:33 PM - Santana Moss just dropped an easy touchdown.

9:38 PM - Third times the charm. Moss catches it in the endzone. Rex Grossman looked really solid on that drive - he was six of eight for 80 yards (and that's counting the easy touchdown Moss dropped). The drive is eight plays, 80 yards and lasted two minutes and 40 seconds. 21-14

HALFTIME

21-14

9:59 PM - The second team defense checks in for Washington.

10:05 PM - The Ravens march down the field against the second team defense. 12 plays, 80 yards, five minutes and 37 seconds. 21-21

10:10 PM - The Redskins come out with the second team offensive line and Roy Helu in at running back, but Beck in at quarterback. The Ravens send out their second team defense.

10:12 PM - John Beck with an ill-advised pass on first down gives the Ravens the ball, thanks to a an interception by Lardarius Webb.

10:23 PM - This drive has been entirely "Stone Cold" Terrence Austin. He's making Beck look good right now.

10:26 PM - Fittingly, Terrence Austin gets the touchdown. An impressive drive all around, even if it was the second team offense. 12 plays, 97 yards in six minutes and 21 seconds. John Beck five for six with 75 yards and a touchdown. Austin had three catches for 56 yards. 28-21

END OF THIRD QUARTER

28-21

10:37 PM - The Ravens put together a seven play, 54 yard drive, but are forced to settle for a 44-yard field goal. 28-24

10:40 PM - Kellen Clemens checks in at quarterback. The Grossman-Beck battle is far from over.

Rex Grossman ends the night eight of 15 for 112 yards and a touchdown, which gives him a quarterback rating of 99.9. John Beck goes six for 10 for 108 yards, with a touchdown and an interception and a quarterback rating of 90.8.

10:49 PM - Graham Gano connects with a 48-yard field goal off of the Redskins fumble recovery. Four plays net the Redskins -2 yards. The time of possession was one minute and 30 seconds. 31-24

10:56 PM - A 16-yard run by Tyrod Taylor sets up first and goal. That has to be a bittersweet moment for murf and all of you other Hokie fans.

10:57 PM - Reggie Jones is shaken up on the play. He walks off the field after the play though.

10:59 PM - Ravens settle for another Cundiff field goal thanks to a 13-yard sack by Davonte Shannon. The 33-yard field goal caps off a 10 play, 65 yard drive. 31-27

11:09 PM - Nice tackle by Clemens to keep his interception from becoming a touchdown.

11:10 PM - The (entirely meaningless) game is on the line as the Ravens go for it on fourth and six. Tyrod Taylor tries to connect with Anthony Allen, but it's incomplete.

Injury update: Jarvis Jenkins left the locker room on crutches. He said he felt a pop out on the field and the doctors are saying it's an ACL injury. No word on if it's a tear or not though.

PHOTOS

6083631287_183fb05c8e_b.jpg

To see ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

To listen to comments from Terrence Austin click HERE

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from Stephen Bowen click HERE

To listen to comments from Jammal Brown click HERE

To listen to comments from Dante Hall click HERE

To listen to comments from Ryan Kerrigan click HERE

To listen to comments from Santana Moss click HERE

To listen to comments from Anthony Armstrong click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to more comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Donte Stallworth click HERE

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

Here's a question for folks to help pass some time before kick-off - which bubble player(s) need to have a strong showing tonight if they want to be around once the final 53-man roster is set?

Terrance Austin

Brandon Banks (is he even playing tonight)

Chris Horton

Niles Paul

Aldrick Robinson

Pretty much any WR not named Moss, Gaffney, Stallowrth, Hankerson, or Armstrong.

the raven's D should be a good test for Beck. his short game looks great, but unfortunately, for skin's fans that have already annointed him starting qb, there is more to being an NFL qb than that. Will he respond positively to increased pressure? Will he be able to throw a good deep ball? Will we see an improvement in his wr reads? Its a lot to expect from him but i hope that it happens.

Here's a question for folks to help pass some time before kick-off - which bubble player(s) need to have a strong showing tonight if they want to be around once the final 53-man roster is set?

One name that is a little off the radar that needs a big game would be Brandyn Thompson. If he can string together another good game, then he very well could sneak onto the final roster. Also keep an eye on Willie Smith tonight at RT going against the 2nd team pass rushers for Baltimore.

One name that is a little off the radar that needs a big game would be Brandyn Thompson. If he can string together another good game, then he very well could sneak onto the final roster. Also keep an eye on Willie Smith tonight at RT going against the 2nd team pass rushers for Baltimore.

I want to add Dejon Gomes as an off the radar guy who could make the 53. With Kareem Moore, Atogwe, and Landry all banged up, he's got a good chance to catch on at one of the safety spots. Very smart player who's seemed to pick up the scheme pretty well.

At WR, I think Aldrick Robinson has pretty much nixed his chances with the muffs on returns. Niles Paul probably needs to show a bit more if he's to beat out Stallworth. I think Austin is already a lock at this point.

7:25 PM - They finally took down the "Due to severe weather, please take cover" message from the Jumbotron, so that's a good sign. For now, the rain has stopped. We'll see if that holds.

Yeah the storms finished moving through Richmond about 30 minutes ago.

They should be ending soon in Baltimore.

So Rex Grossman ends the night eight of 15 for 112 yards and a touchdown, which gives him a quarterback rating of 99.9. John Beck goes six for 10 for 108 yards, with a touchdown and an interception and a quarterback rating of 90.8.

Who do you guys think had the better night tonight?

Really interested in a Jenkins update. I'm assuming nothing will be determined until he has an MRI. Just a minor sprain and he could be back for the regular season opener.

They aren't making a huge deal about it, so I'm thinking it will be a much better prognosis than we were thinking. It was scary watching him clutch his knee like that.

Really interested in a Jenkins update. I'm assuming nothing will be determined until he has an MRI. Just a minor sprain and he could be back for the regular season opener.

Jarvis Jenkins left the locker room on crutches. He said he felt a pop out on the field and the doctors are saying it's an ACL injury. No word on if it's a tear or not though.

Archived