Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HAIL to Helu!

joeknows

first off i would like to say .... hey guys we just beat another traditionally good and fairly deep team! whodathunk? and yet some of yall are goin after each other in these threads with some pretty serious venom. chill and feel some love. we are lookin pretty damned good so far so lets enjoy it and stop all the in fighting...

that being said.... HAIL to Helu!!

14 carries for 101 yds and a 7.2 avg in his first professional game. i didnt get to see the game but from what i see from the few highlights he looked pretty good. those of you that got to see the game... how did he look to yall?

i have concerns about hightower .... he <in my opinion> doesnt hit the holes low enough. he is way to upright when going through the line and that leads to tackles, turnovers and injury... while he looked good last week...... i didnt like a few times when he hit the holes he wasnt too sure of his feet.... < probably from too high center of gravity> the dt's were able to twist him a bit even if he got through...

anyway... heres to a great debut performance..... HAIL to Helu!

Helu looked really good. He showed good vision, excellent speed, and a decent amount of power finishing runs. There is no arguing with his YPC so far this preseason. If he keeps playing like this, it will be hard for the coaches to keep him off the field.

Hightower looks really good too, Torrain is the incumbent, and I kind of like Royster, but this guy looks like the best of the bunch to me right now. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I'm not sure why you like Helu and not Hightower. Hightower has been great for two weeks now (based on what I saw last week and what I've read/seen via stats this week, I have to wait til Sunday to watch the actual game). Helu was mediocre last week, he didn't show good burst in his cuts at all. It sounds like he did much better tonight, even on his breaks and cuts. But Hightower hits the hole hard, lowers his pad level and explodes through contact. Perhaps he did differently this week? I guess I'll see Sunday.

I'm not sure why you like Helu and not Hightower. Hightower has been great for two weeks now (based on what I saw last week and what I've read/seen via stats this week, I have to wait til Sunday to watch the actual game). Helu was mediocre last week, he didn't show good burst in his cuts at all. It sounds like he did much better tonight, even on his breaks and cuts. But Hightower hits the hole hard, lowers his pad level and explodes through contact. Perhaps he did differently this week? I guess I'll see Sunday.

i like Helu from what i have seen from his college stuff.... i didnt even see that he played last week but i am outside the viewing market and i have had to work during both games. i guess that him being a non factor last week i need to look for those stats.

i saw the replay from last week where higtower popped a couple heads... but as a whole i just dont like how upright he is going through the holes. and according to waht i have read here... he has had issues with holding onto the ball. going through the holes upright could be a factor to that because linemen can strip it or a LB can hammer you on the ball and force the fumble....

i like hightower too but i think Helu MIGHT have that something special....

i saw the replay from last week where higtower popped a couple heads... but as a whole i just dont like how upright he is going through the holes. and according to waht i have read here... he has had issues with holding onto the ball. going through the holes upright could be a factor to that because linemen can strip it or a LB can hammer you on the ball and force the fumble....

He hasn't fumbled in a game yet, as far as I know. The fumble stuff happened early in camp, and in Arizona. That is something that can be fixed. I haven't seen him upright, but perhaps I'll notice it when I get to watch the game this week. Most fumbles comes from being careless. Being high doesn't cause a fumble, poor ball security causes a fumble. Being upright leaves you more susceptible to big hits, though, for sure. And that's where ball security needs to come into play.

He hasn't fumbled in a game yet, as far as I know. The fumble stuff happened early in camp, and in Arizona. That is something that can be fixed. I haven't seen him upright, but perhaps I'll notice it when I get to watch the game this week. Most fumbles comes from being careless. Being high doesn't cause a fumble, poor ball security causes a fumble. Being upright leaves you more susceptible to big hits, though, for sure. And that's where ball security needs to come into play.

getting low and covering the ball while hitting the hole IS ball security........by going high ... the ball is more open and more like to be grabbed by a lineman or hit by a tackling LB.

if he holds onto it and its his style to run that way and its effective...im behind him... but i do have concerns... but your right... so far so good

i like Helu from what i have seen from his college stuff.... i didnt even see that he played last week but i am outside the viewing market and i have had to work during both games. i guess that him being a non factor last week i need to look for those stats.

i like hightower too but i think Helu MIGHT have that something special....

I think Shanahan agrees which is why they moved up to get him, but he wants a veteran for Helu to learn behind to eventually take over the reigns. At least in my opinion.

Helu looked really good last night. He definitely showed a knack for making quick decisions, finding the crease, and getting everything he could out of each attempt.

When we drafted him someone posted his highlight video and I was concerned that it looked like his legs stopped churning when contact was made causing him to go down relatively easily. This definitely was not the case last night - the guy was tough to bring down and fought for every yard he could get.

I didn't look at his pass blocking which was the major criticism on him thus far, so someone else can comment on that.

Helu's motor last night was phenomenal, as evidenced by the one sideline play that I'm sure I dont need to describe. Hightower hits holes much harder than Helu it seemed though. Maybe both of those can be chalked up to him being a rookie on a team with too many RB's.

I dont remember how well Torain plays as well as I remember how well last night's RBs played, but it is possible that especially with his injury that he might be the odd man out in a youth movement year? Does ShanAllen really need/want two veteran RB's?

I think Torain is one injury away from the end of the line. When healthy he is a beast. Helu looked fast and I really liked the stretch play to the outside where he did not run out of bounds and make great yardage. He is a keeper.

One thing Shannys has not stood for in the past, is fumbles. All the backs did a nice jib if switching the ball to the other hand and covering up.

No one mentioned Helu fummbled twice. Both he recovered. The illegal formation penalty took one away. I like him. I wasn't available for my fantasy draft and drafted helu. Hail Helu

didnt know about the fumbles... i havent seen any stats on that yet...

For one..... I will start by saying the O-line is doing a great job thus far in run blocking. They have really come together are making good holes for these guys, and deserve alot of the credit!! Both running backs look good to me. Cant wait to see the pain train in the mix too. All 3 should do well this year if they can stay healthy, but if one goes down the others should be able to run the show anyway. I look forward to a great year running the ball.,

Nice to have talent and options at that position isn't it? Looks promising.

I agree on the Oline working well as a unit and being a big part of the running game(obvious) The pieces are falling together...not individual parts anymore.

It may be a tad early..but it's possible an area that was a weakness not long ago may be a strength. We shall see.

Great burst, that's what's been missing from our running game for a long time. He can go from zero to gone very very quickly. Wll be interesting, hoping those young guys stay healthy through the season so we can continue to watch the progression of what hopefully becomes some new faces of the franchise.

Archived