Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teams and players who don't put forth effort in the preseason, deserve to get crushed.

polywog999

Steelers_Redskins_Football_0b39b.jpg?uuid=lyvwPsU-EeCeCpSGbSBlkA

I hear it all the time - people claiming that the preseason doesn't count....It isn't important.

Say what!?!

Your job isn't important enough to put forth good effort? When is it time to start playing hard?

Giving good effort is important from the earliest days of training camp, to the last meaningless game of the season - whether you're a rook or a seasoned vet.

If you half-ass it in the preseason, chances are you'll do it when you have a big lead....or when you're losing big and need to play harder.

So the Steeler's weren't playing hard? They didn't care? Too bad for them. Glad they wanted to get beat.

Here's to hoping that the Colts lay down too - and the rest of the teams this year, for that matter.

I understand that the score may not be much of an indication of how players played, or even if a team wins, that they were, indeed superior, but when you get your ass kicked like the Steelers....maybe, just maybe, you weren't as good as the other team.

Look at how teams play in the first and second quarters....no matter who's in the game. how did the back-ups play against the starters? Were they competitive? these things ARE important.

I'll be watching tonight. I'll be watching the lines, the TE's the secondary....hope I see the little things that separate the haves from the have-not's.

Oh, and a couple of statement hits would be sweet! :helmet:

Scott

I kinda agree. The difference in preseason is supposed to be about strategy. The coaches don't gameplan as much because they want to look at one on one match ups to see who can cope, who needs help in what situations, and who needs to get cut... but that doesn't mean that if you're a competitor you should slack. Effort matters, discipline matters, execution matters. The only thing that doesn't matter in the preseason is the score.

im pretty sure were gonna beat the life out of the colts, esp with out manning.... so heres to no injuries and solid play on both sides of the ball

Depends on how their back up plays. They [backups] have been known to shine when given a chance.

No injuries is great, but like the new kick-off rule has proven, the game is no fun without actual collisions and such.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 06:07 AM ----------

The Colts don't give a **** in preseason and they repeatedly make the playoffs

Really? They don't care at all?

I want to see how our OL does against the quick Colts defensive line. Historically the Colts have a bad record in preseason games but there will still be guys out there who have something to play for, maybe more so with Manning's health questionable.

I want to see how our OL does against the quick Colts defensive line. Historically the Colts have a bad record in preseason games but there will still be guys out there who have something to play for, maybe more so with Manning's health questionable.

So do the coaches! ;)

I believe that this Pre-Season is more important do to the shortened off season. While FA's are coming into new cities and their new teams are plugging them into their systems, getting the continuity that's needed to showcase their talents is paramount. How long does it take before the likes of a pro football player feels comfortable in a new system. I this falls into the direction of which position they are playing and their role. Regardless, maximum effort and a quick learning curve are going to lend a quicker transition period. If a guy isn't picking up on the system quick enough, the learning curve extends and the new team suffers with each game. We have a similar scenario with our new acquisitions and the fact that our secondary hasn't all been on the field at the same time. Talent is one thing. Continuity in the system is priceless. Whomever becomes the quickest study of their system will prevail in their respective systems.

is this thread in reference to ryan clark getting trucked and almost hurt? or are you saying just crushed game-wise? when teams suck in the preseason, and lose a regular season game, i dont think its because of the fact they didnt try in preseason. now as far as players going 50% in preseason and get hurt because of that, i have no pity for them.

im pretty sure were gonna beat the life out of the colts, esp with out manning.... so heres to no injuries and solid play on both sides of the ball

yeah, this is true, i think clark downplayed they game last week because he got stomped, but this week might be a little hard to guage based on manning sitting the bench. anyone see painter last week? while i do like me some purdue....he looked....pitiful

The pre-season is what any coach makes of it. If he doesn't put much stock in it, sobeit. If he does, that's good too. Football isn't the kind of sport you can play half-hearted or someone will get hurt. My issue is when teams say "They took it more serious than us!" That is trash. everytime you put on the pads, you do so to win. That's the bottom line. If players and coaches keep that kind of talk up, there's surely going to be an uprise about an extended season from the owners and STH- Mark my words on that isue.

Teams don't try in preseason is what you say when your team loses or gets embarrassed.

Believe me, I've used that excuse a lot. Like that one Zorn preseason where we scored 0 points.

In all honestly, any semi knowledgeable football fan should be able to watch a preseason game and know who wins and loses and also know it has nothing to do with the scoreboard.

Does your first team come out and move the ball well? few penalties and mental errors? Is your starting d able to make some good stops and get off the field?

Sometimes you do these things and still win the game, sometimes you do these things and your backups get blown up by the other backups.

Very often a team loses a preseason game, and still wins.

As a team that desire to win should always be there. As an individual there are times where the personal health is more important than one game. Or maybe there is a better barometer for their success than what occurs on the field. It is the same sort of mindset that can lead people to say that Stephen Strasburg pitched well even though he gave up 5 runs in 2 innings. The barometer for success in that case isnt the outcome of a game of A Ball, success is detirmined by the fact that he managed to look fit and not hurt himself. This is the same thing with established pro bowlers in the NFL in preseason. They arent going to lay out to make a play when they might get knocked out for the season (or they are Clinton Portis). They will still move, and they will still play, but they wont typically be put in a position by the coaches where they are required to risk that.

There is one difference this year. Because of the shortened offseason the veterans have to shake off some cobwebs, so I expect for the coaches to play the veterans longer. The veterans who are not currently in playing shape. This will lead to more minor nicks and bruises this preseason than the norm.

In all honestly, any semi knowledgeable football fan should be able to watch a preseason game and know who wins and loses and also know it has nothing to do with the scoreboard.

Does your first team come out and move the ball well? few penalties and mental errors? Is your starting d able to make some good stops and get off the field?

Sometimes you do these things and still win the game, sometimes you do these things and your backups get blown up by the other backups.

Very often a team loses a preseason game, and still wins.

Well put, the measure of win or loss is very different in the preseason, and although it can be an indicator of how the season will go there are other factors. Like a lot of cases, it's not so much what you do as what you do about it. The Steelers sure responded to that game last week didn't they? Sign of a professional outfit. We are a team in transition so we need to get the first string shaken out, get playing time for rooks, knock the rust off of vet FAs, a lot of that, very different from what NE or Indy for instance want to accomplish.

No one knows yet how this season will work out, there have been a few encouraging signs to be sure but like every year, people make too much out of the preseason and usually draw the wrong conclusions.

It is possible that the Steeleres did start the game over confident thinking that all of the media hype was correct about the Redskins being a bad team. But I can guarantee that after the Skins first defensive stop and their (Skins) 80 yard offensive drive the Steelers were thinking “OK, it’s time to show these guys how football is played.” The problem was that the Skins were not such an easy mark, at least not for one evening.

I’m still not sure how the Skins will fare this season but in that game they executed plays as if the were ready to make the next step towards being a consistent competitor. It was a team effort not one of individuals trying to shine independently.

Saying that the other team wanted it more is just saying, “I got beat, and no I’m not crying, I’m just sweating from my eyes.”

The Steelers “crushed” the Eagles last night. Guess they just wanted it more. You can bet your ass they wanted it more after they were embarrassed by the Skins.

This preseason is more important than usual because you must come together as a team with less time and practice. The coaches and players know this. While preseason play doesn’t always carry over to the regular season, attitudes play an important part in your success. If your attitude is that this game doesn’t count - I’ll play harder when it does, then yes you deserve to be crushed.

yeah, this is true, i think clark downplayed they game last week because he got stomped, but this week might be a little hard to guage based on manning sitting the bench. anyone see painter last week? while i do like me some purdue....he looked....pitiful

You can still evaluate some very important aspects such as line play, push, pressure, etc. The take away from last night's Eagles-Steelers game wasn't that Michael Vick threw three interceptions and they got killed. It's that the Eagles looked very small on defense and got pushed around. The Eagles didn't game plan (nor did the Steelers) and there are ways to hide certain inadequacies or weaknesses but their LB corps is a major weakness and can be exploited. They can gameplan to protect them somewhat but that will limit what they can do on defense. And, sorry, but Matthews in the middle isn't the answer.

You can still evaluate some very important aspects such as line play, push, pressure, etc. The take away from last night's Eagles-Steelers game wasn't that Michael Vick threw three interceptions and they got killed. It's that the Eagles looked very small on defense and got pushed around. The Eagles didn't game plan (nor did the Steelers) and there are ways to hide certain inadequacies or weaknesses but their LB corps is a major weakness and can be exploited. They can gameplan to protect them somewhat but that will limit what they can do on defense. And, sorry, but Matthews in the middle isn't the answer.

I agree, and I would like to acknowledge that I was inordinately cranky this morning while I wrote this! LOL!

i don't disagree at all, i'm just saying painter is not manning, lol

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 11:26 AM ----------

Who really plays the game to lose?

It's all about effort and getting in shape and minimizing errors

The score doesn't matter, effort...hustle...execution that matters

this guy:

300.ad_.TonyRomo.012309.jpeg

this guy:

michael-vick-eagles.jpg

and now this guy:

ryan-clark.jpg

LOL Tweed, but seriously no one plays the game with the goal of losing in mind, doesn't matter what Ryan Clark thinks about our effort, because he didn't take that game serious he got blown the mess up. He learned that win or lose its all about effort

Archived