Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

northjersey.com: Teens in horseplay incident must register as sex offenders

ACW

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime_courts/125871398_Teens_in_horseplay_incident_must_register_as_sex_offenders.html

Via theagitator.com

Call it bullying or call it horseplay. Either way, a state appellate court panel says roughhousing with a sexual connotation by a pair of 14-year-old Somerset County boys was a crime that requires them to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.

In a decision handed down Monday, the three-judge panel acknowledged the severity of its decision, but said it was bound to uphold the law.

“We are keenly aware that our decision may have profound lifelong ramifications for these two boys as well as others similarly situated,” Judge Jose Fuentes wrote.

One of the boys, whose case went to trial, said he had sat on the faces of a pair of 12-year-old schoolmates with his bare buttocks in November 2008 “cause I thought it was funny and I was trying to get my friends to laugh,” he told a family court judge.

But an act is considered criminal sexual contact if it is done for sexual gratification or to degrade or humiliate the victim, and punishable by lifetime registration — even for juveniles — under Megan’s Law, which requires a person convicted of a sex crime against a child to notify police of changes of address or employment.

The trial judge concluded the teenager intended to humiliate or degrade his victims and found him guilty of criminal sexual contact. The second teenager who was implicated pleaded guilty to criminal sexual contact and received the same penalty . . .

As Radley says: The prosecutor who charged these kids ought to lose his job.

I remember hearing somewhere years ago that if a cop caught you taking a leak in public, then that would register you as a sex offender, since that's classified as indecent exposure. Not sure whatever came of that law since that time tho.

This happened to a friend of mine. He was 19 and at a local parade party and some 16 year old kids were being dicks when people were dancing, so he went over and started grinding on them to piss them off. They left, got a cop and now he will forever be a registered sex offender.

The sex offender laws are obscene (more so than the actual acts). And as Radley mentioned (vis a vis Caylee's Law) this is why laws named after dead people (Megan's Law) are usually bad ideas.

That's a good way to cheapen the meaning of the term 'sex offender' until it means nothing.

---------- Post added July-20th-2011 at 07:26 PM ----------

So no-one sees a problem with exposing ones-self on top of a 12 year old's faces, while simultaneously simulating a sexual position ?

Sure. It's stupid and immature. The kid should get suspended. Hell, put something on his permanent record.

Lifetime sex offender is a little much.

Sure. It's stupid and immature. The kid should get suspended. Hell, put something on his permanent record.

Lifetime sex offender is a little much.

Quoted for truth.

---------- Post added July-20th-2011 at 07:28 PM ----------

Sex offender is more than just merely a label. It carries with it, certain legal restrictions, does it not ?
And therein lies the problem.

So no-one sees a problem with exposing ones-self on top of a 12 year old's faces, while simultaneously simulating a sexual position ?

I see a problem with bullying, I understand what it can lead to having been on both ends when I was a kid. But kids do stupid things, and they aren't always intended the way stupid adults perceive them. Punishing them for the rest of their lives and giving them a label they clearly don't deserve is over the top.

I remember hearing somewhere years ago that if a cop caught you taking a leak in public, then that would register you as a sex offender, since that's classified as indecent exposure. Not sure whatever came of that law since that time tho.
That's a bit different. They do that because otherwise every perv wiggling his waggle at the playground five year olds would claim he was just peeing.

None of us are goIng contact our congressman or vote based on this corruption of justice and destruction of the lives of two kids. How many of us opposed megans law? How many will do anything about the growing problem of DA's applying laws in way that clearly violate the spirit of said laws?

None. So hooray America, good job giving us exactly what we deserve.

That's a bit different. They do that because otherwise every perv wiggling his waggle at the playground five year olds would claim he was just peeing.

I'll step in for Mickalino. I know why they do it, but a friend of mine in college got threatened with being labeled a sex offender when he was drunk and peeing in a bush on the sidewalk. It didn't stick, thankfully, but while the laws are in place for a good reason, unreasonable people take it too far.

Alright, I mean, all this will do is weaken the sex offender list...

I'm not mad their on the list, I'm mad that the list can cover this much...

P.S. If I were an actual sex offender, I would move to this town ASAP... Because you could tell your neighbors, "I'm a registered sex offender for something stupid like what those kids did" and what you really did was rape a 6 year old...

Just sayin'

P.S. If I were an actual sex offender, I would move to this town ASAP... Because you could tell your neighbors, "I'm a registered sex offender for something stupid like what those kids did" and what you really did was rape a 6 year old...

Just sayin'

Except if the neighbors have an ounce of intelligence and an ounce of concern for their kids, they'd look up your actual crime committed, since it is Public Record.

Except if the neighbors have an ounce of intelligence and an ounce of concern for their kids, they'd look up your actual crime committed, since it is Public Record.

I didn't know that............ But you did.........

Just sayin'

The sex offender list doesn't always provide a great deal of detail. It could say "criminal sexual contact with a 12 year old boy". It sure as hell isn't going to say "It was just a bunch of teenage horseplay but it TECHNICALLY breaks the law so cut this guy a break and give him a job". Speaking of jobs, these kids better like digging ditches or starting their own businesses because getting a job is going to be near impossible being on a sex offender list and failing every and all background checks.

If they cut one of their hands off it's arguable that they would have caused LESS long term damage to these kids lives. What happened here is injustice and the DA is to blame. He's a predator and these two kids are his victims. He took action to ridiculously harm these children for the rest of their lives knowing full well what he was doing and having a choice to do otherwise.

Archived