Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

We'll see how he recruits right now. Its not secret that Gary left the program pretty bare. Its weird, I feel like maybe Gary should have been nudged towards retirement, and Fridge given more time. Hoops is going to be bad this year, Football has been awful. I'm not even answering when the Terrapin Club calls. Its just depressing.

Hoops is going to be bad this year, but Turg already has a top 20 recruiting class coming in in 2012, and potentially very big things in 2013.

You don't feel there were a few games where at the end you thought "Ralph would have won that game"? I'm not saying they would be 9 wins ago, or even 6 wins. But more than 2 for sure.
It's still Fridge's team, so yes, he would have done better, despite the injury bug. It's fair to say that O'Brien never picked up the offense, which was a huge part of the Terps failure this year. There were no offensive difference makers and Tony Logan seems to have disappeared on special teams. I am simply not sure where people expected Edsall to conjure up offense, when the players just aren't there.

Maryland has not been a major player in college football since the 1950s. I would love to see them as an annual top 25 team, but I don't think that will ever be the case. We can only hope for some bowl games and an occasional BCS game once every 20 years. I mean, for all that Freidgen gets credit for, we only went to 1 BCS bowl game and got our ass kicked.

As far as basketball goes, MD has always had a solid program, but save for the 2002 season and they've been a step below Duke and UNC. One thing you can say, we are one of three teams in the ACC to have won a National Championship within the last 30 years. I think NC State in 1983 was the last team besides MD, UNC and Duke to win it all. I think Turgeon will get the program going, but I'm not sure we can be on the same level as Duke and UNC.

\As far as basketball goes, MD has always had a solid program, but save for the 2002 season and they've been a step below Duke and UNC. One thing you can say, we are one of three teams in the ACC to have won a National Championship within the last 30 years. I think NC State in 1983 was the last team besides MD, UNC and Duke to win it all. I think Turgeon will get the program going, but I'm not sure we can be on the same level as Duke and UNC.

Unless Turg can do what Ksyrkdjvznxvk has done at Duke since he started there. Duke was a respectful program in the nation with a national championship in its recent history and kkzvlknaksdhfiou turned it into a powerhouse.

The football roster was just as bare. Does anyone actually think that the Terps were going to start 5 seniors and be any good this year? The influential alumni hated the Edsall pick, so he gets no break. This was not going to be a good team with Fridge or anyone else.
It's still Fridge's team, so yes, he would have done better, despite the injury bug. It's fair to say that O'Brien never picked up the offense, which was a huge part of the Terps failure this year. There were no offensive difference makers and Tony Logan seems to have disappeared on special teams. I am simply not sure where people expected Edsall to conjure up offense, when the players just aren't there.

I really disagree with just about all of this.

The Terps got a lot worse this year mostly because of the coaching changes. They weren't as good as their record showed last year due to some lucky scheduling breaks and some great turnover luck on defense, but overall, they were a much better team (and program) then they've been since the coaching overhaul.

O'Brien got worse because of Gary Crowton. The defense got MUCH worse without Don Brown (who was considered an excellent DC by other offensive coaches in the ACC, I know FSU's coaches were glad that he left Maryland).

I don't think that Maryland was going to be some sort of top 10 team this year, but they were setting up to be a lot better than what they've become under Edsall.

Maryland has not been a major player in college football since the 1950s. I would love to see them as an annual top 25 team, but I don't think that will ever be the case. We can only hope for some bowl games and an occasional BCS game once every 20 years. I mean, for all that Freidgen gets credit for, we only went to 1 BCS bowl game and got our ass kicked.

As far as basketball goes, MD has always had a solid program, but save for the 2002 season and they've been a step below Duke and UNC. One thing you can say, we are one of three teams in the ACC to have won a National Championship within the last 30 years. I think NC State in 1983 was the last team besides MD, UNC and Duke to win it all. I think Turgeon will get the program going, but I'm not sure we can be on the same level as Duke and UNC.

I think this is a really fair assessment of the major Maryland sports.

You can only hope for so much, realistically, out of the football program. The Fridge wasn't going to deliver a BCS championship (and probably not an ACC title very often), but he kept the program at a decent level for what it is.

It's the basketball program that Maryland fans and alumni should demand a lot out of. That's where resources have been shamefully wasted.

Its between UNC and MD.

EvanDanielscout

Evan Daniels

Nate Britt will announce his college decision on November 29th, per his father. Big news.

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 07:54 PM ----------

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/2011/11/for_maryland_to_be_successful.html

For Maryland to be successful, Edsall needs to reinvent himself

With the expected departure of several of the most talented players from this year’s team – including defensive end David Mackall, tailback D.J. Adams and possibly quarterback Danny O’Brien – and the prospect of a mediocre (if that) recruiting class, the Terps are going to be ACC bottom-feeders again next season and probably for a while.

Edsall has talked about how what he did at Connecticut will help him in College Park. Edsall continued the building process in Storrs begun by Skip Holtz; at Maryland he now has to rebuild a program that he tore apart in less than one season.

More importantly, Edsall should also bring in a group of the team’s veterans, perhaps even a few of the players with whom he had problems, and ask them for input on how to change the us-against-him mentality that has pervaded the Gossett Team House, or Gossett Team Penitentiary, as some players refer to it on Twitter. In your my-way-or-the-highway world, the highway appears to be approaching gridlock.

Feinstein, as usual, destroys Maryland in his column. He says that Maryland shouldn't fire him because they're in financial trouble. However, he then says that a buyout can be negotiated.

No. Nothing bothers Edsall. He’s never wrong. He coached good; his players played bad. And wore their caps backward too often. The media was unfair. And he’s just like Bob Kraft and the Patriots.

Kevin Anderson should hand him a plane ticket to Boston today and suggest he go and study the Patriots up close for a while. Then Anderson needs to find a new football coach. Maryland deserves much better. It can’t possibly do worse.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-football-mackall-1128-20111127,0,2744393.story

Great....I had high hopes for Mackall. :(

Mackall given release by Maryland football team

Former Edmondson star had been suspended earlier this month

Mackall, who started the first seven games this season after being a reserve linebacker as a freshman, said that a "disagreement" with Edsall stemming from a meeting over academic issues played a role in his decision to leave the football program.

Edsall had said last week that he didn't think Mackall would be back with the team next year. Through an athletic department spokesman , Edsall said Sunday that he would have no further comment on Mackall's situation.

Mackall joins 13 of former coach Ralph Friedgen's players with eligibility remaining who left before the season began. It's not certain how many others may also leave as part of the ongoing transition. A team meeting was scheduled for Sunday night.

Some of Edsall's problems inside the team also began after those suspensions, according to Mackall. Mackall said that players were not pleased with how Edsall spoke publicly about the way Friedgen ran the program. Friedgen was fired last January, after leading the Terps back from a 2-10 season to finish 9-4 and going to the team's seventh bowl game in 10 years. Friedgen was named the ACC coach of the year.

Edsall said at the time that there had been little, if any, accountability by the players prior to his arrival last January.

Aside from upsetting many former players and Friedgen supporters, it also caused issues with the current players, Mackall said.

"It wasn't the truth at all," Mackall said. "Under Coach Friedgen, everybody was accountable. The whole situation about academics, I've got my own thoughts of why things happened, I don't want to say too much about that. Coach Friedgen held everyone accountable for their mistakes and actions."

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 05:05 AM ----------

Edsall is going to destroy this program.....if he hasn't already.

Archived