Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT's Worst Moments in Redskins History since the last work stoppage

addicted

I'm surprised at some of the choices for a top-5 list (both positive and negative).

For example, botching the snap on an extra point vs. TB to lose in regulation instead of going to OT in a lost season is relatively insignificant. So we would have had a chance to go 7-9 if we happened to maintain the momentum and win in OT...then what? Also, the 2006 win against Dallas was fun to watch and all, but again it was 1 win in a 5-11 season.

I think I'd go something like this...

Bad (I liked how others removed the things like ST's death and specific personnel moves, so I'll do the same):

1990 Divisional Playoff loss @ SF (at the time, it was devastating and we didn't know it was helping to build character toward a championship run)

1992 Divisional Playoff loss @ SF (the beginning of the end of the best era in Redskin history)

1993 (Gibbs stepping down, the disaster of a season that followed, and the firing of Petitbone to put a fork in the ending of the era)

1998 (Pretty much changed the course of history again by essentially making Turner a lame duck and sending us into a coaching tailspin for the next decade +)

2009 (Horrible...as others have mentioned, it really started mid-way through 2008)

Good:

1987 Championship Season

1991 Championship Season

1999 Division Championship Season

1992 Gutty playoff season...I was so proud of that team and they willed their way to a playoff berth (and one win) that they had no business getting...heart of a champion and the last gasp from the golden age

2005 playoff season...this wins out over 2007 since it was still early enough in Gibbs II to believe it was a sign of things to come and the start of a 3-4 year run...by late-2007, I had more of a "we better win the whole thing right now" feeling

The only sticky thing is did Williams tell Gibbs about it or not? I may have missed whether or not that has ever been resolved.

IIRC, the possibility that GW might start the game with 10 men was not only mentioned here the week before the game on ES but may have been mentioned in the media as well. How this was not discussed between GW and Gibbs prior to the game is beyond me....unless it was something that Gibbs didn't agree to and GW did it anyway.

As for the timeout, I can't give Joe a pass. Yes, it was a horrible week for the team, but you've already iced the kicker once.......what was the point in doing it again.? To me the whole thing reeked of an air of desparation of "win at all costs." There is debate about whether this was an Al Saunders call or not, but either way, it was one time when I was disappointed in Gibbs.

How does losing in the 1999 playoffs qualify as a worst moment? I don't get it.

Our field goal kicker was hot down the stretch that season. It don't remember the distance, but many feel he would have made it. Then he never got the kick off. It's part of the curse/bad luck/crappy play (whatever you want to call it) thats been with this franchise for many years.

Sorry...but there's no way I can give them a pass for starting the game with 10 men on the field...and not telling the head coach. When it comes to giving a memorial to fallen comrade or teammate, you have to ask if that teammate would want you memorializing them like that. Do you think ST would've said "hey, yeah, run a play with only 10 men on the field because i'm going to be their in spirit to stop them" or "make sure everyone's on the field you dumbasses...i can't tackle anyone as a spirit and it could end up costing you the game"? ST was a competitor...there's no way he would have wanted something as useless as 10 men on the field.

Well, in hindsight, it didn't cost us the game. I think the Bills ran the ball for a 4 or 5 yard gain. No big deal. It wasn't an embarrassing moment in our history. The double timeout was more embarrassing, but like most, we forgave Gibbs because of what he did for this franchise and the circumstances surrounding the game.

Our field goal kicker was hot down the stretch that season. It don't remember the distance, but many feel he would have made it. Then he never got the kick off. It's part of the curse/bad luck/crappy play (whatever you want to call it) thats been with this franchise for many years.

Believe me, I'd have loved to see Conway give it a shot. But I believe it was a 48ish-yard FG. Not impossible, but probably less than a 50/50 proposition for us.

Believe me, I'd have loved to see Conway give it a shot. But I believe it was a 48ish-yard FG. Not impossible, but probably less than a 50/50 proposition for us.

that's what irks me about that game to this day. I just wanted to see Conway attempt the kick. Flubbing the snap is easily the worst way to lose a game. At least miss the FG......

that's what irks me about that game to this day. I just wanted to see Conway attempt the kick. Flubbing the snap is easily the worst way to lose a game. At least miss the FG......

I agree...I could live with missing a long FG much better. Then again, there's always that chance he drills it and we are playing in St. Louis for a chance to go to the Super Bowl!

Well, in hindsight, it didn't cost us the game. I think the Bills ran the ball for a 4 or 5 yard gain. No big deal. It wasn't an embarrassing moment in our history. The double timeout was more embarrassing, but like most, we forgave Gibbs because of what he did for this franchise and the circumstances surrounding the game.

Actually, the play ran for about 20 yards. Though, that play, by itself, didn't cost us the game. And I must say that, for as much as he brought this franchise, I found it hard to believe Gibbs didn't know you couldn't call back-to-back timeouts. Of course, if the defense hadn't given up the 50-yard pass play leading up to that moment -- when it knew that, most likely, Buffalo would try to go deep -- this wouldn't even been an issue.

Certainly not an easy kick, but Conway was hot down the stretch and was kicking well. He'd made 2 FGs already that day. We lost 14-13, correct?

This

I agree...I could live with missing a long FG much better. Then again, there's always that chance he drills it and we are playing in St. Louis for a chance to go to the Super Bowl!

And this.

Actually, the play ran for about 20 yards. Though, that play, by itself, didn't cost us the game. And I must say that, for as much as he brought this franchise, I found it hard to believe Gibbs didn't know you couldn't call back-to-back timeouts. Of course, if the defense hadn't given up the 50-yard pass play leading up to that moment -- when it knew that, most likely, Buffalo would try to go deep -- this wouldn't even been an issue.

Thanks. I couldn't remember how many yards the play went for, but there were so many other factors that cost us that game, not playing one play with 10 men.

Certainly not an easy kick, but Conway was hot down the stretch and was kicking well. He'd made 2 FGs already that day. We lost 14-13, correct?

Absolutely correct. 14-13 after being up 13-0 following the opening KO of the second half. For once, playing aggressively with the lead probably lost us the game. Up 13-0, Johnson forced a deep pass instead of dinking and dunking...Lynch picked it off and the Bucs got new life. A couple of fluky plays contributed as well.

Once again, I'm not saying Conway didn't have a shot to make it...but part of me has always felt that he came out smelling like a rose the way that game unfolded. He can be the guy that never had a shot to put us in the NFCCG instead of the guy who missed a FG to cost us that chance. I'm partially kidding, but I still would have liked to see him get a kick off. Hell, for all we know they would have run into the kicker or something and given us another shot even if he had missed.

That Bucs game was a tough one. I also agree that it would have been interesting to see Conway get the shot at that kick. I go back and forth as to whether or not he would have made it. But it certainly was within realistic range.

The frustrating thing about the end of the 99 season was that the defense played pretty well the last week of the season (I know it was a meaningless game against Miami but still) and then came out and played stout against both Detroit and Tampa. It was the offense, that carried us for most of the season, that started to fade just when the defense looked like it might be okay.

If we could have had the offense of September and October play with the defense of January, we may have actually won the Super Bowl that year.

The frustrating thing about the end of the 99 season was that the defense played pretty well the last week of the season (I know it was a meaningless game against Miami but still) and then came out and played stout against both Detroit and Tampa. It was the offense, that carried us for most of the season, that started to fade just when the defense looked like it might be okay.

If we could have had the offense of September and October play with the defense of January, we may have actually won the Super Bowl that year.

Yep...the D was actually much improved starting with the second Giants game. We won that game 23-13 and our D scored 7 of those 23 points. You're right though...it seemed like the offense faded a lot. Granted, only the Rams kept up that type of ridiculous pace, but our offense went from #1 in the league to pedestrian by December.

And I must say that, for as much as he brought this franchise, I found it hard to believe Gibbs didn't know you couldn't call back-to-back timeouts. Of course, if the defense hadn't given up the 50-yard pass play leading up to that moment -- when it knew that, most likely, Buffalo would try to go deep -- this wouldn't even been an issue.

Everyone seems to forget that the Buffalo kicker made the first field goal (as the second timeout was called). So in effect, the only thing Gibbs made him do was kick the field goal again, 15 yards closer. I know this wasn't the intent, but, for what it's worth.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

The Redskins had a chance to win the game with a 51-yard field goal attempt in the final seconds of the game, but the snap from center Dan Turk to Brad Johnson, the holder, was off and the Bucs won. Contrary to popular belief, the snap was not to Matt Turk, the team's punter, and also his brother. This was Dan Turk's last game in the NFL, as he died later that year due to cancer. Meanwhile, King became the first rookie to lead his team to a playoff win since Pat Haden in 1976.

-Wikipedia

This with Coach' return over one of the last two. The most unilateral harmony and outright excitement we've had across the fanbase since the last Lombardi season the day that news broke and Gibbs was coming home to make everything right again.

Hail.

I almost put Gibbs' return on there instead, because you could argue that the things on my list could not have happened without his presence or his return. :yes:

Archived