Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT's Worst Moments in Redskins History since the last work stoppage

addicted

Guys I know this isn't going to be a happy rah-rah thread but honestly I got a kick out of this 7 minute video depicting the worst moments for the team since the last work stoppage. You know why I got a kick out of it? Because when you forget the past, you are doomed to repeat it. If you can stumach it take a look back at all of the crap we've been through and remember you and I are still here still loving and supporting this team. Through thick and thin....we are extreme. Hail!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/23/washingtons-worst-moments-are-as-bad-as-they-seem/

I felt the same way. When Florio breathlessly read off that whole list at the end I had to smile. There's no denying any of those things happened. They just have to get better and they will. The team improved by two wins last year without a real QB and without LaRon Landry for half of the season. Another two wins this year and two after that makes the Redskins a playoff team.

How does losing in the 1999 playoffs qualify as a worst moment? I don't get it.

If you take away some of the specific personnel-related issues (Deion, Haynesworth, etc), the whole misguided front office philosophy we've had for pretty much all of Snyder's ownership, and the Sean Taylor tragedy (which is the #1 worst moment but probably can go in a class of its own), if you were to take eras, the top 5 (in chronological order) in the post-1987 strike would be:

1) completely falling off the cliff in 1993 after the Gibbs glory years

2) the 1996 second-hand collapse, followed by the underwhelming 1997 and 0-7 start to 1998

3) the unravelling of the Fortune 500 Skins in 2000

4) the horrible first-half of the 2006 season

5) the second half of 2008 through the end of the 2009 season

I guess you could make a case for a mediocre 1988 season after winning the SB, although we bounced back to be a solid team the next 2 years before the monster '91 season. And I don't know quite where to place the two Spurrier years. We played a lot of games close in '03, but it felt pretty low after getting blown out at home twice at the end of that season.

So what would be the top 5 BEST moments since the last work stoppage?...

Since the last work stoppage?

In no particular order:

Super Bowl XXII, Super Bowl XXVI, the 1999 playoff win against Detroit where Brad Johnson body slammed a Lions player, 5-1 in the NFC East in 2005, and Joe Gibbs return in 2004.

Honorable mentions: The Monday Night Miracle against Dallas, the final moment of the Dallas game in 2006, winning a road playoff game against Tampa in 2005, the heroic late season run in 2007.

Super Bowl XXII, Super Bowl XXVI, the 1999 playoff win against Detroit where Brad Johnson body slammed a Lions player, 5-1 in the NFC East in 2005, and Joe Gibbs return in 2004.

Partially correct.

1) XXII

2) XXVI

3) Marty fires Vinny

4) Gibbs comes back

5) Dan fires Vinny

Partially correct.

1) XXII

2) XXVI

3) Marty fires Vinny

4) Gibbs comes back

5) Dan fires Vinny

Almost lol...

- SB XXII

- SBXXVI

- Monday Night Miracle puts an end to the decade-long Cowboys Curse

- 4-game winning streak at the end of 2007 after Sean Taylor's murder

- Snyder fires Vinny and hires an actual GM

- SB XXII

- SBXXVI

- Monday Night Miracle puts an end to the decade-long Cowboys Curse

- 4-game winning streak at the end of 2007 after Sean Taylor's murder

- Snyder fires Vinny and hires an actual GM

This with Coach' return over one of the last two. The most unilateral harmony and outright excitement we've had across the fanbase since the last Lombardi season the day that news broke and Gibbs was coming home to make everything right again.

Hail.

Let's see. Worst moments since the last labor dispute. No particular order.

Back to back timeouts. 2007

Gerald Riggs' fumble. 1989

Gary Clark leaving in Free Agency. 1993

Elway's TD with no time left over Darrell Green. 1995

Aikman to Rocket in OT. 1999

Vinny to Crayton. 2004

Alstott 2pts. 2005

Pete Kendell. 2008

Swinging gate 2. 2009

Botched extra point. 2010

Those were moments off the top of my head. If we wanted to expand it to a games or section of seasons.

Loss to Giants at RFK. 1988

Loss to winless Dallas. 1989

Body Bag game (though avenged). 1990

Jets. 1993

Losing to perennial loser Tampa twice in 3 weeks. 1994

Second half swoon of 1996.

First half of 1998. Skins make the late night comics monologues.

Losses to Giants, Cowboys, Steelers. 2000

First 5 games of 2001. Skins return to the late night monologues.

Gibbs stubbornly sticking with Brunell. 2004/2006

Patriots. 2007

Eagles. 2010

No to be pernickety scruff, and not to defend Gibbs per se, but I give him a pass for that. I defy anyone to say they had their head totally in that Bills game. I know I certainly didn't. The game was a complete emotional blur were the result seemed to matter little. I know there's the professional argument, but after all the pre-game memoriam, I give every last one of them a pass for anything that happened the following 60 minutes of football.

Hail.

I felt the same way. When Florio breathlessly read off that whole list at the end I had to smile. There's no denying any of those things happened. They just have to get better and they will. The team improved by two wins last year without a real QB and without LaRon Landry for half of the season. Another two wins this year and two after that makes the Redskins a playoff team.

This^^^^^

And as far as all of the Danny hate goes....I am not a fan of the man, but I agree whole heartidly that he gets some bad wrap (albeit deservedly in some cases), and that's just something he'll have to continue to fight through if he really wants to keep changing.

I know for a fact that Florio and Chad Dukes have been buddy buddy since Dukes was at George Mason hosting a local radio show there, so this is really no surprise to me.

What is a surprise is how what used to be such an intellegent fanbase, is ready to burn the house down after one season with a completely new GM, new coach, and new systems on both sides of the ball, against one of the hardest schedules in the league last year. I mean, really? Ugh.

Other markets will atleast pick out a young kid or two on the team to get behind in times like this, but all we have is "Oh, we haven't won a Super Bowl since 1991." How about we all grab a chair, and some patience, and show a little support for a change. Realize this thing is going to take a couple of years, and find a unit or a player on this team to root for to gel and get better. It'll happen, but we can't keep acting like Danny, and then critique him poorly for getting rid of who we gripe about.

HAIL!

This^^^^^

And as far as all of the Danny hate goes....I am not a fan of the man, but I agree whole heartidly that he gets some bad wrap (albeit deservedly in some cases), and that's just something he'll have to continue to fight through if he really wants to keep changing.

I know for a fact that Florio and Chad Dukes have been buddy buddy since Dukes was at George Mason hosting a local radio show there, so this is really no surprise to me.

What is a surprise is how what used to be such an intellegent fanbase, is ready to burn the house down after one season with a completely new GM, new coach, and new systems on both sides of the ball, against one of the hardest schedules in the league last year. I mean, really? Ugh.

Other markets will atleast pick out a young kid or two on the team to get behind in times like this, but all we have is "Oh, we haven't won a Super Bowl since 1991." How about we all grab a chair, and some patience, and show a little support for a change. Realize this thing is going to take a couple of years, and find a unit or a player on this team to root for to gel and get better. It'll happen, but we can't keep acting like Danny, and then critique him poorly for getting rid of who we gripe about.

HAIL!

I don't know how much a message board indicates the intelligence of a fanbase. Just because some people are loud and post way too often (read: 21,NewCliche) doesn't mean that they are the Loraxes who speak for the trees. Look at how infrequently the level-headed ones post, if at all anymore. Om, Art, TK, Tarhog, Jumbo, and the list goes on.

I don't know how much a message board indicates the intelligence of a fanbase. Just because some people are loud and post way too often (read: 21,NewCliche) doesn't mean that they are the Loraxes who speak for the trees. Look at how infrequently the level-headed ones post, if at all anymore. Om, Art, TK, Tarhog, Jumbo, and the list goes on.

Its an interesting perspective NC21. I think in the case of some of the guys you mentioned, its probably a case of other things in life taking priority over the board. And maybe a lot of it was getting tired of dealing with the board's rabble (like you and I lol). But some of these guys also were known for taking a more optimistic outlook, and I wonder if that position became harder to defend in light of the decisions Snyder made after Gibbs left. I know Art thought the Zorn hire was a head-scratcher, but even Art seemed optimistic heading into that first game against the Giants in 2009, thinking that we were going to rock and roll with Zorn having a year under his belt with JC, etc. Didn't take very long to realize that year was going to be a total disaster.

I know people like to use the phrase "be patient" but geez, how many times have we heard that phrase since, say, the Spurrier days, and where has it gotten us? I think the word instead is "trust," as in, how much do you trust Snyder? I think getting rid of Vinny was removing a big roadblock and I think Dan has learned that the way they were doing business was not working, and that he'll give Shanahan and Allen time to build this thing. But I also can't blame the people who take a more cynical outlook. I think the labor situation has given Shanny a bit of breathing room too.

No to be pernickety scruff, and not to defend Gibbs per se, but I give him a pass for that. I defy anyone to say they had their head totally in that Bills game. I know I certainly didn't. The game was a complete emotional blur were the result seemed to matter little. I know there's the professional argument, but after all the pre-game memoriam, I give every last one of them a pass for anything that happened the following 60 minutes of football.

Hail.

Sorry...but there's no way I can give them a pass for starting the game with 10 men on the field...and not telling the head coach. When it comes to giving a memorial to fallen comrade or teammate, you have to ask if that teammate would want you memorializing them like that. Do you think ST would've said "hey, yeah, run a play with only 10 men on the field because i'm going to be their in spirit to stop them" or "make sure everyone's on the field you dumbasses...i can't tackle anyone as a spirit and it could end up costing you the game"? ST was a competitor...there's no way he would have wanted something as useless as 10 men on the field.

Hail.

I can't give a pass because a know nothing like me even thought the second we called that 2nd timeout "wait, I don't think you can do that".

If I knew it, then Gibbs or somebody on that staff should have.

The fact that it was the game after Sean Taylor's death and the emotion that was invested into it made the gaff that much worse for me.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 08:34 AM ----------

Also I want to add that I didn't include something like Dan Snyder taking ownership of the team because while now in retrospect that was one of the worst things of the last 24 years, at the time it was hailed. The thinking was, at least by me anyway, that we dodged a bullet by not getting Milstein and I was thrilled to have a local guy and Redskin fan become the new owner of the Redskins. So I'm trying to come up with bad stuff that felt horrible the moment it happened or was happening.

As for the best stuff.

The feeling of the playoff week before the Lions game and just after was great.

Gibbs returning had me on a high from January to September of 2004 like I had not felt since the Skins won SB26.

The 4 week stretch in 2005 where we beat Dallas, New York, Philly and then Tampa in the playoffs. That felt like old times when I was young during Gibbs 1.0.

Sorry...but there's no way I can give them a pass for starting the game with 10 men on the field...and not telling the head coach. When it comes to giving a memorial to fallen comrade or teammate, you have to ask if that teammate would want you memorializing them like that. Do you think ST would've said "hey, yeah, run a play with only 10 men on the field because i'm going to be their in spirit to stop them" or "make sure everyone's on the field you dumbasses...i can't tackle anyone as a spirit and it could end up costing you the game"? ST was a competitor...there's no way he would have wanted something as useless as 10 men on the field.

I actually thought that first play in the Bills game was a perfect tribute by Gregg and his D that just 'fit' the occasion, but I guess we all see these things differently.

Hail.

Swinging gate 2. 2009

Every time I think of these 2 moments, all I can do is laugh, especially the swinging gate. I've always wondered what the players were thinking when they heard "swinging gate"..... "ok guys, swinging gate, again".

Might as well have called the Annexation of Puerto Rico.

I actually thought that first play in the Bills game was a perfect tribute by Gregg and his D that just 'fit' the occasion, but I guess we all see these things differently.

Hail.

My thoughts exactly, and I'll never see it any differently. When I hear people throw out the "risking the game" argument especially - there was NO way the Bills were breaking a play that first play with the emotion those 10 men we're playing with....

I consider the 2007 Buffalo Bills loss to be the worst moment for the Redskins during my lifetime. Never have I been so disgusted with the team as I was after that loss. We lost an ugly game to a bad team, at home, when we were supposed to be honoring the memory of our best player. That was rock bottom IMO.

The 2005 Monday Night Miracle was the best for me. Sounds pretty lame to say a 1-point win in September was so great, but it was. Until then, it seemed like the Redskins only lost in spectacular fashion. To see them win that way, against Dallas no less, was like a dream. I watched it in my little apartment in St. Paul on a fuzzy TV sitting on the floor, but I felt like I was right there in that hideous stadium giving the finger to thousands of Dallas fans. It was just awesome.

The 2005 Monday Night Miracle was the best for me. Sounds pretty lame to say a 1-point win in September was so great, but it was. Until then, it seemed like the Redskins only lost in spectacular fashion. To see them win that way, against Dallas no less, was like a dream. I watched it in my little apartment in St. Paul on a fuzzy TV sitting on the floor, but I felt like I was right there in that hideous stadium giving the finger to thousands of Dallas fans. It was just awesome.

Off topic, the best part of that game was that it made me think about all the times Dallas had ruined special moments for Skins fans in front of a national audience. That night, and most specifically, those last four minutes, gave the fan base a good measure of revenge that felt good.

Archived