Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should I get an iPhone 4 or wait for the next-gen iPhone?

Springfield

First off, I have an iPhone 3g (not 3gS) and I completely like the iOS platform. I have looked into Droids and while they are interesting, I'm going to stay loyal to the iPhone. THIS IS NOT AN IPHONE VS. DROID THREAD, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO GET A DROID! So, that's out of the way...

I currently have an iPhone 3g from a couple of years ago or more. I'm happy with it but it's getting slow and I've tried everything I can to speed it back up to what it once was aside from completely deleting all of my apps. Facebook takes 5 minutes to load sometimes. Text messages and typing are sometimes extremely laggy. I'm assuming that this is because my phone is so damn old and all of the new stuff is designed for better hardware.

I'd also like a video recorder and a better megapixel camera. I know that the iPhone 4 offers all of that. I'm wondering if the next-gen iPhone will be that much of an improvement over what I currently have that it'd be worth it to wait.

Another option would be to wait for the next-gen iPhone to be released so I can get an iPhone 4 for much less than $200-300.

What is the opinion of current iPhone 4 users and people in the know about next-gen iPhone features?

i used to have a 3g and loved it. i have a 4 now and love it and think that it's the best piece of technology I've ever owned. Anytime when making technology purchases I believe it's best to just ask yourself if you would be happy with the current product on the market (iPhone 4) and if you are just get that. You can find yourself waiting for months or a year for the newer and better and sometimes you will be very underwhelmed with the "newer and better". (for ex: I'm glad i got the iPad and didn't wait for the iPad 2).

If you bough a 4 right now, even if they did release a new version later this year or next you would be able to skip that one and get the next version which will even be more advanced.

I'm waiting. 4g is worth the wait.

Not necessarily, the next iPhone (rumored to be released in September) has not been confirmed to have 4G connectivity. Now the one released in 2012 will have it. The main advantages to the new iPhone this year will be the upgraded dual core processor and the 8MP camera (as opposed to a 5MP on the current iPhone).

The reason it hasn't been confirmed is cause the upcoming iPhone will be dual band (GSM and CDMA) so the phones will be the same for ATT and Verizon. As of now, Verizon is yet to sign on to let Apple make a 4G phone for them. And since ATT isn't at 4G yet (HSPA+ is NOT 4G) it isn't 100% given yet.

Not necessarily, the next iPhone (rumored to be released in September) has not been confirmed to have 4G connectivity. Now the one released in 2012 will have it. The main advantages to the new iPhone this year will be the upgraded dual core processor and the 8MP camera (as opposed to a 5MP on the current iPhone).

...and the dual core alone should be the reason to wait.

I just went from an iPhone 4 to a dual core phone, and the difference is incredible. Definitely wait.

I guarantee it. No way apple roles out a new iPhone without making it 4g capable. They would basically be sacrificing market share for the next 2 years.

Why role it out when ATT doesn't support it yet and Verizon is having issues with it? And they won't lose market share, it's a ****ing iPhone. People will flock to it like misguided sheep.

Im kinda of in the same boat. I am eligible for an upgrade, and debating whether to get the Iphone 4 or wait until AT LEAST September for the new phone. I currently have a 3GS that I have had for 2 years now, and recently cracked the screen. The phone is still usable, but I it might be too long until the next phone comes out to wait.

I think im going to get the iphone 4 on monday, thoughts?

So much misinformation in this thread it's making my head spin. That said, you might as well wait for the new iPhone which should be coming out in September. All signs point to it being an iPhone "4S", and it will not be 4G. I've had every iPhone except the original and I plan on skipping the next gen.

So much misinformation in this thread it's making my head spin. That said, you might as well wait for the new iPhone which should be coming out in September. All signs point to it being an iPhone "4S", and it will not be 4G. I've had every iPhone except the original and I plan on skipping the next gen.

Would you like to address the misinformation?

Not being 4G doesn't seem enough to make your head spin.

Would you like to address the misinformation?

Not being 4G doesn't seem enough to make your head spin.

It's not gonna be a 4G, it's not gonna be the iPhone "5" (think more along the lines of what the 3GS was to the 3G). The "next-gen" iPhone won't be out til next Summer. You're right that it isn't enough to make your head spin, but everything that skinsfan_1215 said is completely wrong. I've been doing a TON of research the last few months as I'm upgrading in September. I've basically got it narrowed down to the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S (assuming thats what they call it), Blackberry Bold Touch, or Samsung Galaxy S II

Dude nobody knows what the hell the next iphone is going to be because they've got it locked up better than national security top secret files. But in fairness, if you google "iphone 5" and click on the "news" section, most of the rumor pages say the iphone 4S rumor is complete BS.

Dude nobody knows what the hell the next iphone is going to be because they've got it locked up better than national security top secret files. But in fairness, if you google "iphone 5" and click on the "news" section, most of the rumor pages say the iphone 4S rumor is complete BS.

There's only a few things we know, the dual core processor is 100% and the 8MP camera as well. But theres 0 signs of them making this a 4G phone. Remember, AT&T isn't even ready for 4G yet, and Verizon's network isn't ready to handle that many 4G iPhones on it.

4G is a myth anyway.

Care to elaborate, or are you just trying to stir **** up? I know what you're going to say....4G isn't REAL 4G cause it doesn't meet to standards set for speed. That doesn't mean it's a myth. It's CLEARLY faster than 3G, calling it 4G is just a marketing gimmick. Doesn't mean it's a myth.

Archived