Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's RR - NFL labor agreement in two weeks?

SkinsNatsFan

http://realredskins.com/2011/06/nfl-labor-agreement-in-two-weeks/

NFL labor agreement in two weeks?

Posted on June 11, 2011 by Rich Tandler

While there generally has been an air of optimism surrounding the talks between the NFL and the players, nobody has been so bold as to attach a timetable to them, with most close to the situation saying only that it should wrap up in sufficient time to allow for a full preseason and a regular season that would start on time.

Today, however, Daniel Kaplan of Sport Business Journal suggested things might happen much sooner. A short time ago, he tweeted the following:

http://twitter.com/#!/dkaplanSBJ

dkaplanSBJ daniel kaplan

Told optimism is so high in NFL, players talks over labor deal that expectation is for a framework agreement in about two weeks

i'm curious if the NFL is looking at a drop is merchandise sales, season ticket renewels, and a general lack of ratings on their NFL network and realizing how much money they're already missing out on despite there not being a chance of missing any games yet.

on the other side, the NFLPA has to answer to the fact that their new members (rookies) cannot get a deal done. they haven't had the chance to earn money to prepare for this, so they may need to actually go get jobs if this continues much longer. furthermore - undrafted free agents from this years rookie class don't even have a team that wants them, much less a deal in place to fall back on.

both sides are probably feeling a lot of pressure... hopefully they'll resolve this soon. my NFL addiction is starting to rear it's ugly head. i find myself looking at highlights and reading the news more and more every day. i want some football damnit

I'll take 2 weeks, that would be 6/25, probably be done by that monday 6/27. Then I heard they need 5 weeks of training camp/free agency/rookie contracts etc. That means by 8/2 we can have our preseason game vs. pittsburgh, when it's not scheduled to 8/12. Hope to God this is true, we are on pace Ladies & Gentlemen, stay calm & enjoy your families!

:)

HTTR!

I'll take 2 weeks, that would be 6/25, probably be done by that monday 6/27. Then I heard they need 5 weeks of training camp/free agency/rookie contracts etc. That means by 8/2 we can have our preseason game vs. pittsburgh, when it's not scheduled to 8/12. Hope to God this is true, we are on pace Ladies & Gentlemen, stay calm & enjoy your families!

:)

HTTR!

What? They aren't going to start camp EARLY, they'll just start it when they usually would have, which would be near the end of July. The weeks before that will be used to sign free agents and draft picks. Hopefully a rookie wage scale is included or you're going to see a lot of first round picks hold out for significant amounts of time.

Your totally right I forgot Training Camp would be a little early, Sorry man I'm pumped and the way the media and everybody is taking this it just seems like everything is so far behind, and maybe starting a little early would be clutch, but who knows man

When he says "framework agreement" it sounds like he's just talking about the agreement between the parties talking currently. I wonder if the owners will then have to vote on it and the lawyers will have to actually put it into writing. If they can do that without any hiccups in communication between the two sides then it will probably be early July.

That's about the same as we were hearing a couple days ago. I think ESPN said they were trying to get it done by July 4th or 7th.

When he says "framework agreement" it sounds like he's just talking about the agreement between the parties talking currently. I wonder if the owners will then have to vote on it and the lawyers will have to actually put it into writing. If they can do that without any hiccups in communication between the two sides then it will probably be early July.

That's about the same as we were hearing a couple days ago. I think ESPN said they were trying to get it done by July 4th or 7th.

New article being floated around on twitter states that now the date is June 21. That is when the owners are meeting in Chicago and they want to vote on it then.

Sources are indicating that to the writers.

I honestly feel we will have the agreement no later than the end of next week. That will give the owners 3-4 days to evaluate it before the owners meeting.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/22475988

Friday night, NFL Network's Albert Breer reported that players and owners have made substantial progress in recent days towards a new collective bargaining agreement.

And Saturday morning, Sports Business Journal's Daniel Kaplan tweeted: "Told optimism is so high in NFL, players talks over labor deal that expectation is for a framework agreement in about two weeks."

But it gets better. The Houston Chronicle's Lance Zierlein recently blogged that "According to a couple of sources, NFL lockout could be over sooner than you think."

"After lengthy discussions with both sources, they both conveyed to me a great deal of hope that a deal would be done by July and possibly as early as late June," Zierlein wrote. "Why the sudden optimism? According to one of the sources, 'both sides are focusing on the percentage of total revenue coming in (would include the first $1 billion the owners are currently taking off the top) and if that deal gets done, the other issues will probably fall into place fairly quickly according to what I'm hearing.'"

Another source told Zierlein that "I am 100 times more hopeful than two weeks ago that a deal can get done relatively quickly."

Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm also hears things, all positive: "Sources have indicated to PFW that June 21, which is when the NFL owners are scheduled to meet in Chicago, might be a date to circle on the calendar. The reason for the escalated talks might indicate that the owners want to have a deal — or parameters of a deal — to vote on when they all assemble for the meeting."

That makes five different sources reporting a variation on the "things are looking really good" theme. Nothing's concrete but as we stated last night: it's a start, we'll take it.

---------- Post added June-11th-2011 at 12:58 PM ----------

Similar, with a bit more info ... (I was led by LL's tweets of course)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Lockout-update-Actual-documented-reasons-for-o?urn=nfl-wp2547

Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle recently put up a blog post entitled "According to a couple of sources, NFL lockout could be over sooner than you think" in which he quotes two NFL people he knows. I've known Lance for while, and I know how dialed-in he is, so I'm of a mind to take this seriously. The post said, in part…

After lengthy discussions with both sources, they both conveyed to me a great deal of hope that a deal would be done by July and possibly as early as late June. Why the sudden optimism? According to one of the sources, "both sides are focusing on the percentage of total revenue coming in (would include the first $1 billion the owners are currently taking off the top) and if that deal gets done, the other issues will probably fall into place fairly quickly according to what I'm hearing."

The players currently make just over 59 percent of all revenue, but that does not include the $1 billion the owners take off the top. If that money is included in total revenue, the players get about 51 percent. While the owners are said to be low-balling the players on their revenue offer, both of my sources from the players' side said that the percentage appears to be negotiable and could easily come up to a number that both sides could agree upon.

"I am 100 times more hopeful than two weeks ago that a deal can get done relatively quickly" was the sentiment from one of my sources who also believes that issues like health care and the rookie salary are issues that could potentially "be done already".

Eric Edholm from Pro Football Weekly is another news source to be taken seriously; PFW isn't exactly in the habit of floating false rumors to get traction on the interwebs. Eric's recent piece was interesting in a different way, because he pointed to a specific date by which both sides might be encouraged to get a deal done:

Previous talk coming out of the owners' meetings at the end of May — namely from Colts owner Jim Irsay and NFL lead negotiator Jeff Pash — appeared to target July 4 as a key date in the labor impasse. Both suggested that getting something done by that time would be necessary to have an uninterrupted 2011 season.

But a new date might be emerging. Sources have indicated to PFW that June 21, which is when the NFL owners are scheduled to meet in Chicago, might be a date to circle on the calendar. The reason for the escalated talks might indicate that the owners want to have a deal — or parameters of a deal — to vote on when they all assemble for the meeting.

A final Collective Bargaining Agreement might not happen until or around that July 4 date, and if that happened free agency would begin soon after. During normal seasons training camps typically open the final week of July, so reaching a deal around that time would allow for a three- or four-week free-agency period where players finally could change teams.

Light?

Tunnel?

I'm still waiting on the Bat Signal light in the sky.

Haha, there not hip to that inside joke. I'm thinking we will see it actually turned on soon.
Ah' date=' Bruce in Redskins One. :ols:[/quote']

Yeah. You were right. Not hip to it. :ols:

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/22475988

But it gets better. The Houston Chronicle's Lance Zierlein recently blogged that "According to a couple of sources, NFL lockout could be over sooner than you think."

I stand by my prediction that they will announce a new deal by the end of next week. By then the NBA Finals would be over, which would signal the dry spot in the sports calendar. If they were smart, they would take advantage of that. :2cents:

I don't usually do this, but since the off season has gotten sooooo boring, I asked someone I know in the know about what is going on.

NO, I am not going to reveal sources, and my info is not surprising or new.

The meetings are being held at some secret location. It appears that the defacto leader of the labor committee, Mr. Jones, is leading the way for owners in these discussions. I don't know why the commissioner is not, but that is what is going on.

I understand the 18 game season is off the table, as was reported.

No surprise that the number 1 issue is the division of the 9 billion pie just like it has always been.

One of the items they are looking at is taking a cut of the 9 Bil and putting it into a stadium fund to fund new stadiums. It appears the owners have finally figured out the tax payers are not going to fund new stadium projects. I find it funny how J. Jones calls it his stadium when the taxpayers paid for half of it.

Apparently, the owners concerned that Cities might sue the NFL if games are not played. They would sue on the basis that they paid for a chunk of the stadium and expect games to be played. No idea if this would happen, but it was brought up.

The owners still believe that the players will cave once paychecks start being held. I got the impression the players would not. Nothing new here.

I don't know how people can put a timetable on this. If anyone decides to get up and step back from the table, the negotiations become stalled.

That said, my insider said this is the most opportunistic he has been since talks have started. That progress has been made, but many detailed issues still remain.

He did say July 15th was the deadline for the preseason to be played. If a deal was not done by then the preseason would be cancelled. He also indicated if a deal was not done by then he didn't see the start of the season happening as well.

Archived