Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Redskins references?

NewCliche21

In the film "Suspect" (1987) Cher says something to the effect "I have a better chance of playing quarterback for the Redskins than that happening". Also either her office or her boss' office had a Redskin pennent hanging in the background.

Now these things don't mean anything to me, but back then it did feel good seeing and hearing my favorite team being referenced in a movie or tv show.

In the movie "Spygames" with Bradd Pitt and Robert Redford, Robert Redford's character is timid about going to a certain area of the CIA headquarters in Langley because he owed "Tom $100 from the 'Skins game." Being the typical Joe-Cool that he was, he went into Tom's area anyways and looked him dead in the eye and said, "Hey Tom, got my hundred?" Classic.

I recently watched an old episode of the A-Team. In the beginning credits, Mr. T (B.A. Baracus) told his crew that he couldn't join them for dinner because of the Monday night football game between the Redskins and Cowboys. His line was followed with a fist pump and an excited "Yeeeaahh!"

If I find out the name of the episode, I'll post it here.

In the 1988 movie Outrageous Fortune, staring Bette Midler and Shelley Long, the Soviet Spy was trying to bribe a US official for Redskin season tickets! Start watching at the 6:08 mark.

F3VOfl8_YMQ

I remember when we had that amazing comeback against the Cowboys that ended the drought in 2005, George Bush said at the National Prayer Breakfast:

"I appreciate the warm welcome. I appreciate the friendship and the kindred spirit. All of us believe in the power of prayer. And for a lot of people here in Washington, a prayer has been answered with three words: Coach Joe Gibbs. [Laughter] Joe is admired for a great career, and even more, he is respected for his convictions and his character. Joe, we're glad to see you back on the job. I'm all in favor of second terms. [Laughter]"

Epic.

The Simpsons have had a few references, the superbowl prediction and the correct score of Redskins/Broncos(?) game from hours earlier

Incorrect, but I'm glad someone SORT of remembered!

In fact a whole episode of the Simpsons (called "Lisa the Greek") revolves around Homer gambling on football, culminating in him losing his relationship with Lisa (as she correctly picks games and he just uses her for it). At the end, it's the Redskins v Bills Super Bowl. Lisa won't help Homer pick the game, but she tells him that if the Bills win, it means she doesn't love him. If the Redskins win, she loves him still. :)

That episode has so many golden lines...

Drinker: "Hey Homer...whatcha got riding on the game?"

Homer: "My daughter."

Drinker *whistles* "Wow, what a gambla..."

Also, the Duff Light vs Duff Dry "game" cracks me up..

Barney: "Hey Homer, Didn't You Say That If Duff Dry Wins [the Duff Bowl], Your Daughter Loves You?"

Homer: "Not Duff Dry. Washington!"

Barney: "Okay, okay. They're both great teams!"

All of them were redskin fans. Christie wore a Taylor jersey, Greg would miss church to watch the Skins with Jimmy especially the Cowboys game. Kim really didn't care about sports. They all grew up in VA. Gre and Kimm went to UVA. And yes I watched alot of Yes Dear.

The producer of that show, Greg Garcia went to Frostburg State.

---------- Post added July-1st-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

John Riggins Ford trucks

Friday Night Lights Tim Riggins? Hard drinking, womanising white FB/RB. Heck knows who that could of been based on.

There was a scene of him and his teammates watching him level a DB, with one of them saying it was like watching Brandon Jacobs level LL.

Hail.

I noticed that too. Also, later in the show, there are a couple things that reminded me of Riggo:

1) Someone knocked on his door in the morning looking for him, he answers with a beer in his hand.

2) Tim has a stint of hosting a football radio talk show.

:ols:

*VERY OBSCURE* I remember an episode of the show Quantum Leap where Scott Bakula's character leaps into the body of a Native American who has and Uncle/father/grandfather (cant remember) who is a Redskins' fan and his dialog included many Redskins references...anyone ever see this?

I saw that back in the day, an watched it yesterday (there's another post with the episode name, thanks to that poster), it was set on 11/22/70. The old grandfather was listening to the game on the radio, and rejoiced when a Redskins touchdown was scored, and how he especially <3'd when WAS would beat the 'girls. I just wiki'd, it was a 'Skins home loss, 45-21, they finished 6-8 that year. :(

The film Everybody's All American starring Dennis Quaid and Jessica Lange. The main character gets drafted by the Skins in the early 60s. A pretty good film for its time in 1988. I don't usually like sports movies bc their plot lines are so cliché, but this one gets it right.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but one of the Louisville homicide detectives on the First 48 has a Redskins' helmet decal at his desk; it's usually shown at least once an episode (when the show covers a Louisville murder).

Awesome... I know where I'm going when I murder someone!

The old disney channel/WB show Smart Guy took place in D.C. and had some Redskins references. In one of the episode TJ(the main character)goes to a Redskins game live and his dad and friend are watching on TV and his friend says something like "Did you see that!? Green just picked off Aikman and took it to the house!" and then high five. Pretty cheesy but always good to hear about Redskins owning Cowboys.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 09:29 PM ----------

Oh and not sure if this was mentioned, but one of the seasons of 24 took place in D.C. Tony Almedia is captured and his captor says something along the lines of: "I bet Hodges(the main villain)a pair of Redskins tickets you wouldn't talk. Guess I'll be sitting on the 50 yard line." Kinda disheartening to hear an egomaniacal terrorist had 50 yard line seats though. :ols:

Die Hard 2, there was a Redskins banner in the airport security office when McCain was speaking with the airport security chief or whatever. I can't remember the scene exactly, I didn't care for the movie.

I remember one Simpsons episode where Lisa was predicting the score of the NFL games and mention the Redskins winning Superbowl XXVI.

Archived