Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Florida Drug Testing for Welfare Applicants

shuler74

Not giving money to a drug addict seems dangerous.

Here is the question: What do we do with 25-year-old drug addicts who do not have strong support systems?

Provide him/her the opportunity to earn his money through picking up trash, cleaning streets or other community service type jobs.

Maybe next, we could drug test anyone who receives a tax break on mortgage interest or the child tax credit, because we don't want those tax dollars being used to buy drugs.

Anyone receiving a college loan or Pell Grant or who is accessing the GI Bill.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

Provide him/her the opportunity to earn his money through picking up trash, cleaning streets or other community service type jobs.

Do you really want a crack addict cleaning up your city's storm drains?

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 03:30 PM ----------

By the way, if you go from this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?348165-Netherlands-Pot-shops-to-be-off-limits-to-foreign-tourists/page2

To this current thread too quickly, you will actually break a rib caused by the full weight of white privilege hitting too hard.

Anyone receiving a college loan or Pell Grant or who is accessing the GI Bill.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

Do you really want a crack addict cleaning up your city's storm drains?

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 03:30 PM ----------

By the way' date=' if you go from this thread:

[url']http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?348165-Netherlands-Pot-shops-to-be-off-limits-to-foreign-tourists/page2[/url]

To this current thread too quickly, you will actually break a rib caused by the full weight of white privilege hitting too hard.

Crack addicts can pick up trash, if they want their crack bad enough. Illegals seem to find work, why can't drug addicts?

Probably because illegals who work are not drug addicts.

Just guessing.

Question: Would you hire a crack addict to cut your grass?

By the way' date=' well done, GoSkins. This thread needed a NavyDave-worthy post and that one won the day.[/quote']

Dude, my parents fostered a kid that was a crack addict, I have no idea why but they did. He worked and payed for his crack habit until my parents kicked him out. Crack addicts are capable of working, and functioning in society. I don't see why you would have an issue with providing coMmunity service jobs to earn the welfare check, what's the big deal?

Dude, my parents fostered a kid that was a crack addict, I have no idea why but they did. He worked and payed for his crack habit until my parents kicked him out. Crack addicts are capable of working, and functioning in society. I don't see why you would have an issue with providing coMmunity service jobs to earn the welfare check, what's the big deal?

That entire paragraph caused my brain to short-circuit. The fact that your parents kicked out a crack addict is proof of what again?

Give him a choice between becoming more of a criminal, or starvation.

And his kids, and his little dog, too.

That'll teach him.

Yeah, it might.

Seriously, what do you do, Larry? Do you do anything about it, or do you just sit back and make snide comments and hope it goes away?

Or, rather not care if it goes away or not?

The answer I seem to be hearing is either to do nothing about it because giving them that choice would be bad for them (because they might choose wrong, and thus not be held accountable for their actions?)

or do nothing because it's not much of a step toward saving any money, and if we can't do everything, then it's better to do nothing

or, give them the money, because we're afraid of what they might do if we don't.

I don't get it. This one seems to be rather easy.

~Bang

I cannot believe the amount of people who feel bad for drug users? I think every state should adopt this. Why are my tax dollars going out to support someone who gets his check, doesn't work, and goes and buys drugs? How does this make any sense whatsoever? I don't feel bad for any drug user. It's a choice, and I can give a **** about addiction. If you want to quit something bad enough, you'll quit. Let's have a big pity party for the people who no longer can buy drugs with there government check. If you use your check wisely, don't do drugs, then you should have no problem taking a drug test.

Yeah, it might.

Seriously, what do you do, Larry? Do you do anything about it, or do you just sit back and make snide comments and hope it goes away?

Or, rather not care if it goes away or not?

The answer I seem to be hearing is either to do nothing about it because giving them that choice would be bad for them (because they might choose wrong, and thus not be held accountable for their actions?)

or do nothing because it's not much of a step toward saving any money, and if we can't do everything, then it's better to do nothing

or, give them the money, because we're afraid of what they might do if we don't.

I don't get it. This one seems to be rather easy.

~Bang

It's a philosophical question: Are there people in a society who are unlikely to positively contribute to it?

If so, what do you do about it?

Finally, has any society ever solved this problem in a humanitarian manner?

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 04:38 PM ----------

I cannot believe the amount of people who feel bad for drug users? I think every state should adopt this. Why are my tax dollars going out to support someone who gets his check, doesn't work, and goes and buys drugs? How does this make any sense whatsoever? I don't feel bad for any drug user. It's a choice, and I can give a **** about addiction. If you want to quit something bad enough, you'll quit. Let's have a big pity party for the people who no longer can buy drugs with there government check. If you use your check wisely, don't do drugs, then you should have no problem taking a drug test.

I think the fundamental problem is that people don't really seem to understand how public assistance is distributed.

This thread seems to be talking about a very specific bogeyman - the 25 year old single male with a drug problem. That is not your typical welfare recipient. Here is the fact: 39.7 percent of AFDC clients are Black single mothers and 38.1 percent are White women with children.

A single mother has five children. All the children are on public assistance. Mom fails a drug test. What do you do?

A single mother has five children. All the children are on public assistance. Mom fails a drug test. What do you do?

To bad, to sad.......Mom will get a reality check and stop doing drugs if she cares for her children.

To bad, to sad.......Mom will get a reality check and stop doing drugs if she cares for her children.

So, you deny food to children because the mother is on drugs.

What is the cost of the welfare check you just denied versus the cost of treating five children in a hospital for malnoutrition.

Again, 80 percent of AFDC funds go to children.

Do we drug test the children as well?

It's a philosophical question: Are there people in a society who are unlikely to positively contribute to it?

If so' date=' what do you do about it?

Finally, has any society ever solved this problem in a humanitarian manner?

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 04:38 PM ----------

I think the fundamental problem is that people don't really seem to understand how public assistance is distributed.

A single mother has five children. All the children are on public assistance. Mom fails a drug test. What do you do?[/QUOTe]

I don't know if any society has ever answered this problem humanely. I think there is no way to be 100% humane to everyone.

There are people in a society who are unlikely to contribute much to it. I also think that so long as you keep a safety net under them, they never will have any incentive to contribute to their own well being.

If a single mom fails a drug test.. I'd say there has to be some thought. Is she smoking a little pot? OK, so scare her out of it. Give her an ultmatum, come back clean on this date or face further consequence. Stay clean or face further consequence.

If she's a single mom smoking cocaine, she's not doing anything good for her kids anyway.

I am not one who believes every kid is best off in the care of their parent. 95% of them sure. But there's some who's parents are a detriment to their upbringing.

~Bang

So' date=' you deny food to children because the mother is on drugs.

What is the cost of the welfare check you just denied versus the cost of treating five children in a hospital for malnoutrition.

Again, 80 percent of AFDC funds go to children.

Do we drug test the children as well?[/quote']

Like I said, to bad, to sad. I don't feel bad for anyone who works the system. I'm sick and ****ing tired of my paychecks being drained to useless human beings. The middle class is walked on like a big pile of ****. You are better off being dirt poor or filthy rich then the middle class. If Mom doesn't care about her kids then they should be taken away from her. I know a good Mom will certainly lay off the drugs if she cares about her kids. It's very simple, stop doing drugs. Like I said, if you want to quit something bad enough, it's very simple. You need to want to do it which is why I can give a crap about addiction. If mom can't lay off the drugs, then she puts herself in front of her kids well being and the children should be taken away from her.

I don't know if any society has ever answered this problem humanely. I think there is no way to be 100% humane to everyone.

There are people in a society who are unlikely to contribute much to it. I also think that so long as you keep a safety net under them, they never will have any incentive to contribute to their own well being.

If a single mom fails a drug test.. I'd say there has to be some thought. Is she smoking a little pot? OK, so scare her out of it. Give her an ultmatum, come back clean on this date or face further consequence. Stay clean or face further consequence.

If she's a single mom smoking cocaine, she's not doing anything good for her kids anyway.

I am not one who believes every kid is best off in the care of their parent. 95% of them sure. But there's some who's parents are a detriment to their upbringing.

~Bang

There are 3700 children in foster care in the city of Houston alone. The system is completely overwhelmed. Creating a system that guarantees far greater pressure on the foster care system concerns me - particulary since Houston can't go six months without some horrifying story about the death of a child either in the foster care network or in some kind of low-end child care facility.

Here is the other thing I don't quite understand. It seems to me that 80 percent of the posters on this site are pro-legalization. Yet, the vast majority of the people on this thread seem more than willing - and actually quite excited - to use the drug laws they do not support to hammer welfare recipients. On the one hand, everyone seems to understand that draconian drug laws don't work. Yet, they want to make those laws more draconian for a very specific and highly highly vulnerable class of people.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 04:53 PM ----------

Like I said, to bad, to sad. I don't feel bad for anyone who works the system. I'm sick and ****ing tired of my paychecks being drained to useless human beings. The middle class is walked on like a big pile of ****. You are better off being dirt poor or filthy rich then the middle class. If Mom doesn't care about her kids then they should be taken away from her. I know a good Mom will certainly lay off the drugs if she cares about her kids. It's very simple, stop doing drugs. Like I said, if you want to quit something bad enough, it's very simple. You need to want to do it which is why I can give a crap about addiction. If mom can't lay off the drugs, then she puts herself in front of her kids well being and the children should be taken away from her.

Are you willing to fund the drug rehabiliation programs needed to clean up the parents and the vast expansion of the foster care system that you are proposing?

Also, you have pissed me off so I don't feel bad about giving you a grammar lesson. It's "too bad; too sad."

Actually, from what I've heard, in the long run, drug treatment is vastly cheaper than any other method. (And it doesn't involve that pesky thing of requiring people to prove that they haven't committed a crime.)

But drug treatment, in the short run, costs money.

Which do you think politicians care more about? Particularly the kinds of politicians who are pushing this measure?

----------

(Actually, I think I should also point out: I'm one of those whacky libertarians who thinks they should be legal.)

Are you willing to fund the drug rehabiliation programs needed to clean up the parents and the vast expansion of the foster care system that you are proposing?

Also' date=' you have pissed me off so I don't feel bad about giving you a grammar lesson. It's "too bad; too sad."[/quote']

I stated my opinion like a messageboard is for......if it's affecting your feelings maybe a messageboard isn't a place you should spending time on. Your "grammar lesson" that was suppose to piss me off didn't......but thanks for the lesson anyways.

You are better off being dirt poor or filthy rich then the middle class.

No comment necessary.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

Here is the other thing I don't quite understand. It seems to me that 80 percent of the posters on this site are pro-legalization. Yet' date=' the vast majority of the people on this thread seem more than willing - and actually quite excited - to use the drug laws they do not support to hammer welfare recipients. On the one hand, everyone seems to understand that draconian drug laws don't work. Yet, they want to make those laws more draconian for a very specific and highly highly vulnerable class of people.[/quote']

Whacky, conspiracy theory, theory, here. But I look at this law and to me, it isn't about drugs.

It's about making people on welfare put on a dog collar and leash, and then have welfare clerks lead them around the welfare office on all fours, while people take pictures, so that Republican politicians can show their base that they can be more gratuitously humiliating to those evil poor people (who we all know have it better than us, anyway) than the other Republican politicians.

But, that's just a theory.

Whacky, conspiracy theory theory, here. But I look at this law and to me, it isn't about drugs.

It's about making people on welfare put on a dog collar and leash, and pose for pictures walking around on all fours, so that Republican politicians can show their base that they can be more gratuitously humiliating to those evil poor people, who we all know have it better than us, anyway.

But, that's just an opinion.

I think it's a little more base than that, but I'm trying not to interject my paranoia about American life into every thread.

Oh...what the hell...I'm done for the day.

"Now looky here, you fine upstandin' votah. Elect me to office and I'll have all them deadbeat nigras peein' in a cup on a weekly basis. I say, it will look like the rainy season in Maylasia when I get through with 'em."

That entire paragraph caused my brain to short-circuit. The fact that your parents kicked out a crack addict is proof of what again?

He was 19 and my Dad caught him smoking crack in front of our house, in his car that he purchased with his own money. My parents didn't have to offer assistance after he turned 18 but they did, he didn't want to live by their rules. With that said, why do you have issue with forcing these people to do community service work to collect their welfare payments so they can buy drugs? Let me guess, people would moan and groan about modern day slavery?

He was 19 and my Dad caught him smoking crack in front of our house, in his car that he purchased with his own money. My parents didn't have to offer assistance after he turned 18 but they did, he didn't want to live by their rules. With that said, why do you have issue with forcing these people to do community service work to collect their welfare payments so they can buy drugs? Let me guess, people would moan and groan about modern day slavery?

I just don't think it's a system that would work.

this came up a lot in an earlier thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?347838-****-Gov.-Rick-Scott.&highlight=drug+test

I still stand by what I said in that thread:

I want to know what happens when kids aren't fed because the parents tested positive for weed so they couldn't get food stamps. Are they going to take the kids away? Are they going to take the kids away from anyone ever caught doing drugs? How many foster homes do you have in Florida? I know here in MD, we couldn't take them. We're swamped now. Hell, my wife and I said we would consider another in August, and they are trying to move it to an earlier date...like first available day...

I hope his advisors understand the down stream effects of their plan or the pro life party will inadvertently cause a lot of misery.

The parents would need to make a decision. Weed or feed my children.

I don't see how this is actually an issue though. A person is doing something illegal, therefore cannot qualify for government benefits. That's as fair and simple as it gets. I need to be drug-free to be employed and work for a paycheck.

Archived