Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffingtonPost.com: Jose Guerena Killed: Arizona Cops Shoot Former Marine In Botched Pot Raid

Destino

On May 5 at around 9:30 a.m., several teams of Pima County, Ariz., police officers from at least four different police agencies armed with SWAT gear and an armored personnel carrier raided at least four homes as part of what at the time was described as an investigation into alleged marijuana trafficking. One of those homes belonged to 26-year-old Jose Guerena and his wife, Vanessa Guerena. The couple's 4-year-old son was also in the house at the time. Their 6-year-old son was at school.

As the SWAT team forced its way into his home, Guerena, a former Marine who served two tours of duty in Iraq, armed himself with his AR-15 rifle and told his wife and son to hide in a closet. As the officers entered, Guerena confronted them from the far end of a long, dark hallway. The police opened fire, releasing more than 70 rounds in about 7 seconds, at least 60 of which struck Guerena. He was pronounced dead a little over an hour later.

The Pima County Sheriff's Department initially claimed (PDF) Guerena fired his weapon at the SWAT team. They now acknowledge that not only did he not fire, the safety on his gun was still activated when he was killed. Guerena had no prior criminal record, and the police found nothing illegal in his home. After ushering out his wife and son, the police refused to allow paramedics to access Guerena for more than hour, leaving the young father to bleed to death, alone, in his own home

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/25/jose-guerena-arizona-_n_867020.html

Before you go thinking they just ran into his house and killed him watch the video:

http://www.kgun9.com/story/14736691/raw-video-pcsd-helmet-cam-clip-shows-swat-raid-and-firefight

They CLEARLY announce they are police and run their sirens outside his home before kicking his door down.

There are more than a few details on both sides of this that are strange. I post it because it's interesting and not clean cut. Enjoy.

I don't care if this guy had 100,000 pounds of pot in his home. This type of action is way beyond overkill. It's ridiculous how we view marijuana in this country. Then again, the FDA will conduct the same sort of raid for a person selling cherry juice stating that it can help to amelorate joint pain and inflammation, which it most certainly can. Common sense is not very common these days. If this were a meth lab with immediate danger posed to innocent families I could understand, but freaking marijuana - ridiculous.

I don't care if this guy had 100,000 pounds of pot in his home. This type of action is way beyond overkill. It's ridiculous how we view marijuana in this country. Then again, the FDA will conduct the same sort of raid for a person selling cherry juice stating that it can help to amelorate joint pain and inflammation, which it most certainly can. Common sense is not very common these days. If this were a meth lab with immediate danger posed to innocent families I could understand, but freaking marijuana - ridiculous.

On the cherry juice. I can attest to the benefits. My Mom said she feels the best in years, despite terminal cancer and horrible arthritis, since she started drinking regular cherry juice.

Um, why the **** did they refuse to allow paramedics to treat him?

Swat team audio/video reveals how deadly raid went down

http://www.kgun9.com/story/14737216/swat-team-audiovideo-reveal-how-deadly-raid-went-down

"Everybody relax at this point. Whoever was up at the door, do a quick check of each other to make sure we're covered and we're good. Make sure no one has got holes in them ok," an officer said.

Seven minutes after SWAT arrives Vanessa Guerena runs to the door.

"Listen to us now. Get on the ground. Come out here, come out here. She ran back inside," the officer said.

"We have medical attention. There are paramedics who can help you guys we need everyone out of the house.

About fifteen minutes after they got to the scene Vanessa Guerena is pulled out of the front doorway, clearly hysterical.

"You're going to shoot me," she screams.

SWAT then turns their attention to her child, they're still very concerned about the suspect inside.

"He's still a threat until proven otherwise but we're not going to go any deeper than the kids bedroom to get him out," an officer said."

"We can't come in and help you until you come out and help us."

Because of the current laws right now, marijuana trafficing in that area does mean danger as gang wars happen as a result of people trying to control the area.

Because of the current laws right now, marijuana trafficing in that area does mean danger as gang wars happen as a result of people trying to control the area.

Very, very few instances would IMO warrant the use of an APC and SWAT team for a person suspected of marijuana trafficking. The situation very likely could have been handled much differently and with a much better outcome. What really was gained except yet another child growing up without a father? Nothing good comes from this and nothing will change.

mardi gras skin - Do you not see the circular logic there? We can't send paramedics in until the subject is proven to not be a threat (ie dead).

Well, he can be alive and non threatening. He can throw the gun far away.

Paramedics have no way of defending themselves, can't blame them for that.

With as many bullets as they fired, he is most likely dead, but you have to be sure.

I think it's interesting that they acknowledge that he confronts the cops at the end of a "long dark hallway" with an AR-15, yet I guess the writer seems to believe the police should check to see if the safety is on, or if he fires before opening fire themselves.

This raid for pot is overkill, and the guy played it all wrong. Stupid move, predictable result.

~Bang

mardi gras skin - Do you not see the circular logic there? We can't send paramedics in until the subject is proven to not be a threat (ie dead).

"...Vanessa Guerena runs to the door."

They know there's at least one other person in the building that isn't coming out. First guy came to the door with a gun. I think asking the other person to demonstrate she isn't a threat before sending paramedics inside is a reasonable request.

"...Vanessa Guerena runs to the door."

They know there's at least one other person in the building that isn't coming out. First guy came to the door with a gun. I think asking the other person to demonstrate she isn't a threat before sending paramedics inside is a reasonable request.

About fifteen minutes after they got to the scene Vanessa Guerena is pulled out of the front doorway, clearly hysterical.

"You're going to shoot me," she screams.

SWAT then turns their attention to her child, they're still very concerned about the suspect inside.

"He's still a threat until proven otherwise but we're not going to go any deeper than the kids bedroom to get him out," an officer said."

The guy they shot is in plain sight from the door. They shot him 20 times (confirmed) so he sure as hell didn't get up and run away. SWAT is supposed to secure the residence not stand at the door way. They responded to this as if there was a bomb inside not a dead body. That's strange behavior.

A trained marine getting in position to repel aggressors with the safety on is strange as well. My brother-in-law a former marine said that part of the story is the weirdest in his opinion. He thinks the only reason for that being the case is suicide by cop or the former marine didn't intend to use the gun but was instead holding it while going to answer the door (as opposed to being in firing position as implied).

Like I said there is a lot wrong with the story. I don't even have a problem with the shooting as described. The problem is the details seem wrong and I will not be at all surprised to hear them change in the near future. When facts don't add up in media reports they have a habit of changing. Just like they did when the 92 year old lady was shot dead in Atlanta. If I had to guess as to where this story goes, I'm going to say perhaps the deceased was more of a criminal than his family realized and there was a specific reason the SWAT team refused to enter the home. Either that or the wife will admit it was suicide by cop.

---------- Post added May-27th-2011 at 01:40 PM ----------

Paramedics have no way of defending themselves, can't blame them for that.

With as many bullets as they fired, he is most likely dead, but you have to be sure.

circular logic again.

The police opened fire, releasing more than 70 rounds in about 7 seconds, at least 60 of which struck Guerena. He was pronounced dead a little over an hour later.

After ushering out his wife and son, the police refused to allow paramedics to access Guerena for more than hour, leaving the young father to bleed to death, alone, in his own home

I'm having a hard time with this part. He was shot over 60 times and wasn't dead? I find that hard to believe.

I'm guessing he was already dead, but just wasn't pronounced dead until the paramedics took a look at him. The part about being left to bleed to death is purely sensationalism on the part of the reporter designed to make it seem like he was suffering and to evoke sympathy. The same with adding "alone" as if it would've been somehow better to have been left to bleed to death while people were around him.

Not that he should have been shot in the first place...let alone 60 times.

Just use predator drones to burn the fields growing the stuff here and in Habla land, then go on Tv and talk about the joint operation with those countries thanking them for their help in combating the war on drugs and thank them for their help.

Dope is for the weak minded wusses who can't man up and deal with reality.

And the city and state governments that give blanket medical marijuana cards to practically everyone besides those with a "legitimate" reason to have it, actually are helping to show how much lack of respect the Government has towards the ignorant and useless to society demographic who just want to get a buzz instead pushing them to better themselves.

If it was up to me drug addicts would be thrown into a cell and go thru agonizing withdrawals cold turkey and the videos would be shown in schools letting the young and dumb see what could await them since just say No and other PSAs over the past generation falls on deaf ears.

Just use predator drones to burn the fields growing the stuff here and in Habla land, then go on Tv and talk about the joint operation with those countries thanking them for their help in combating the war on drugs and thank them for their help.

Dope is for the weak minded wusses who can't man up and deal with reality.

And the city and state governments that give blanket medical marijuana cards to practically everyone besides those with a "legitimate" reason to have it, actually are helping to show how much lack of respect the Government has towards the ignorant and useless to society demographic who just want to get a buzz instead pushing them to better themselves.

If it was up to me drug addicts would be thrown into a cell and go thru agonizing withdrawals cold turkey and the videos would be shown in schools letting the young and dumb see what could await them since just say No and other PSAs over the past generation falls on deaf ears.

1) Or legalize a plant from nature, tax it, profit.

2) Pot is for weak minded, lol. CEOs, medical patients, business owners, etc... all disagree with you.

3) Pot is bad for you, I assume you want to ban alcohol, narcotics, etc... as well?

4) Agree

circular logic again.

I disagree. They already have one guy who came out with a loaded AR-15. The first responsibility when shots are fired is to the safety of their men and innocents around them. I can't see how they can be certain there's not more in there who are locked and loaded.

20 bullets may have hit him, but if they send one paramedic in there and the suspect squeezes off a shot that kills him or someone else in there shoots him, who's to blame?

Frankly, after firing, they should have charged him and removed the weapon .. if he got hit that many times, damn sure he's down. Standing there probably wasnt the best option, but as I said before, , the guy doesn't come out with his automatic weapon, he's likely not on the floor with 20 bullets in him necessitating the use of paramedics in the first place.

we could argue whether the cops were in overkill mode with the raid, but the fact is it was the suspect who made the deadly mistake.

If he puts his hands up and complies immediately, he's likely not shot.

~Bang

20 bullets may have hit him, but if they send one paramedic in there and the suspect squeezes off a shot that kills him or someone else in there shoots him, who's to blame?

SWAT for not securing the house with a child in harms way? They should have finished the job... they instead chose to act like there was a bomb scare. They sent a robot in to make sure the guy they shot 20 times was dead... before allowing paramedics to enter. Let me repeat that bit of circular reasoning: Make sure he was DEAD before sending paramedics in.

Again I don't think the police did anything wrong if this set of facts prove to be true. I don't think they will however because too much of it makes exactly no sense. Something is missing. The SWAT team acted like a bomb was in the building and a trained marine aimed a AR-15 (and said something aggressive to police) all while the safety was on.

---------- Post added May-27th-2011 at 07:37 PM ----------

Waiting for the whole set of facts.

It would be nice if the police called you on your cell prior to storming your home, no?

Why are such home invasion raids even needed anymore?

You could wait for him to leave the house and arrest him out in the open then search the home. That would be a lot safer than firing 60 shots into a house with a child in it.

In a previous interview with SWAT attorney Mike Storie, KGUN9 learned that officers who searched the home found several weapons, body armor, and parts of a police uniform, which supports information that law enforcement originally believed Guerena was tied to an organization that participated in home invasions. Storie said investigators also found a photo under Guerena's bed of Jesus Melverde, who Storie called a "patron saint of drug runners." According to Storie, the items found in the home were listed on the original search warrant.

Source: KGUN

This guy was def no saint, and this on himself and his wife if he had one.

not accusing when I say this, but given the amount of time that the swat team was in there basically alone, and given the items that were found, it could lead one to suspect foul polay and a lil bit of a cya set up.

Well, you can say that about all raids....Watch the video in link, his wife is CLEARLY lying. As far as I'm concerned, the family has zero credibility.

Well, you can say that about all raids....Watch the video in link, his wife is CLEARLY lying. As far as I'm concerned, the family has zero credibility.

You're saying that finding body armor and guns at a marines house means something? Also what was the wife lying about?

Archived