Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter reports "It's Becks Job to lose"

leevi98

How soon we forget that back in February Shanahan said our top priority in the draft was outside linebacker opposite of Orakpo. Everyone knew that was a smokescreen, too.

Exactly! Why does everything have to be a conspiracy? It could simply be that MS believes he can turn Beck into a solid starter for a few years. Look at the numbers Schaub puts up with the same offense in Houston. Just think how far ahead of the game the Redskins would be if Beck does work out? We could keep our draft picks. Then if the price is right go get a future franchise QB in the draft.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 10:47 PM ----------

Beck or whomever is brought in and wins the QB job is gonna have more weapons then people think, provided we resign Moss.

We had the 8th passing attack:8th in yards and 8th in yards/per game.

We were able to put up those numbers with basically 2 viable WRs; our 3rd and 4th WR were unproducitve old man Joey and never has been Roydell Williams.

Hankerson, Niles, Austin and a healthy Kelly are a big improvement to our 3rd and 4th WRs.

The OL should improve with continuity and experience.

They were shuffled about last year but finished the season as a decent unit.

RT remains a question mark but it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade from a recovering Jamal Brown, even if we're forced to resign Brown he should be better this year then he was last year.

The running game should improve with improved OL play and w/ an infusion of speed: Helu, Royster and maybe we'll finally see James Davis?

The offense should also improve through experience.

Kyle got to know the players and how/where they fit within the scheme, the players had a 1 year in the system.

Imo we should have a top 15 offense: yards/scoring.

We just need a little better QB play then we got last year.

We just need a triggerman.

Don't forget 2 very good Tight Ends and a good up and comer in Paulsen.

Whats the point of "using shefty as a mouthpiece"? What is there to gain. Thre are no real QB's available via trade/free agency anyway...and before anyone says Kolb, 1. I am not sold 2. If I was, there is no way the Eagles would trade a young gun inside the divison

Exactly! Why does everything have to be a conspiracy? It could simply be that MS believes he can turn Beck into a solid starter for a few years. Look at the numbers Schaub puts up with the same offense in Houston. Just think how far ahead of the game the Redskins would be if Beck does work out? We could keep our draft picks. Then if the price is right go get a future franchise QB in the draft.

I think what's happening is that Shanny genuinely likes Beck. If not, they wouldn't have gave him an extension. However, I don't think that he's as hellbent on him as the game 1 starter as we're being led to believe. Part of that may be that Shanny is trying to drive down the price of Grossman or any other potential FA QB....

---------- Post added May-20th-2011 at 07:53 AM ----------

Beck or whomever is brought in and wins the QB job is gonna have more weapons then people think, provided we resign Moss.

Good, there's at least one other person that sees our WR situation the same way. Actually, I don't think that we need to address WR in FA. What we need to do is focus on the Oline (RT, C....possibly RG) and perhaps add a CB. The prospects of Moss, Hankerson, Armstrong, Kelly, Paul...Banks as the PR, is a pretty decent WR corp IMO.

I think what's happening is that Shanny genuinely likes Beck. If not, they wouldn't have gave him an extension. However, I don't think that he's as hellbent on him as the game 1 starter as we're being led to believe. Part of that may be that Shanny is trying to drive down the price of Grossman or any other potential FA QB....

I do not necessarily agree this is a move by Shanny to drive the price down on Grossman. I think this is Schefter hearing that Shanahan truly likes Beck and now he's asserting "It's Becks Job to Lose".

But there is one point that you made that people keep forgetting about Beck. Beck was the FIRST QB to get an extension before McNabb and Grossman (who still isn't signed). Think about that for awhile. Why would you lock a third string QB up to a multi-year extension with him barely taking a snap?

I believe Shanahan is as high on Beck as he says he is. No smokescreen at all. That doesn't mean that competition won't be brought it (undrafted FA QB or vet FA QB). But I will not be surprised at all if Beck is the starter when (if) the season starts.

Unproven QB

No WRs

NO OFFENSIVE LINE (CASEY IS COMING BACK PPL)

1 injury prone RB

NFC Beast

We may end up with Andrew in 2012

When you put it that way there is only one thing to add, Championship baby.

---------- Post added May-20th-2011 at 09:41 AM ----------

Sorry if this has been discussed or in another thread. I searched and didn't see anything.

Adam Schefter, Mark Schlereth and Mike Golic discuss the possibility that the former BYU quarterback, who hasn't thrown an NFL pass since 2007, will be coach Mike Shanahan's starter next season.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6560306

Welcome to the board, and you live NOW in one of the best places on earth, I love the chain of lakes-have family there.

unlclebecky1064.jpg

unlclebecky1033.jpg

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 07:23 PM ----------

It's my first ever thread! I feel like i Truly belong now! lol

---------- Post added May-20th-2011 at 09:47 AM ----------

I thought Beck was from BYU, who is this Stanford guy?

Sarcasm meter broken, reaching for link.......

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/luck_andrew00.html

Here are the reasons why I like this plan:

1) We're not trying to trade for a pass their prime vet

2) We're not trying to sign a pass their prime vet to a high dollar FA contract

3) This season is going to have a shortened training camp, and probably a shortened season, and this team needs a lot of practice to come together - no use going with a "win-now" approach - Beck is not a "win-now" approach

4) If he succeeds, we've found a franchise quarterback for peanuts - If he fails, we are going to suck and have a high draft pick to take a QB

Here are the reasons why I like this plan:

1) We're not trying to trade for a pass their prime vet

2) We're not trying to sign a pass their prime vet to a high dollar FA contract

3) This season is going to have a shortened training camp, and probably a shortened season, and this team needs a lot of practice to come together - no use going with a "win-now" approach - Beck is not a "win-now" approach

4) If he succeeds, we've found a franchise quarterback for peanuts - If he fails, we are going to suck and have a high draft pick to take a QB

There is a really good article discussing much of what you have laid out above. I got to say I think this is indeed Mikes line of thinking.....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2011/may/19/few-thoughts-beck-shanahan-etc/

It’s a defensible strategy, then, to spend 2011 using draft picks and, new CBA permitting, free agency to improve the running game and defense. See what they have in Beck, and if Beck flops, draft a rookie next April from a class of quarterbacks that’s expected to be very good. Plug the prospect into a situation in which he’s more likely to succeed.

I say it’s defensible because the Redskins were not positioned to contend this season, anyway. Not after the McNabb experiment failed. There are too many needs. Fans have to keep the long term in mind here because that’s the realistic timetable for contending.

I seem to recall some "Beck may start in 2011" talk as early as late last season after McNabb was benched for the second time. I forgot the source, but it was brought up as a possibility. I also remember an interview with Sonny in which he said the plan for the rest of the season was to play Grossman a couple of games and then maybe see Beck in action before the year was up.

My point is, all this Beck talk might not be as out of nowhere as it has seemed the past few weeks. And as confident as a guy might be, I don't think Beck would be speaking and acting the way he has been if he didn't get a pretty clear message from the coaches that he would have a chance to win the starting job. I'm not saying he was guaranteed anything. I'm just saying he has probably been encouraged to act like a starter if he wants to be the starter.

I think this may really happen, even though I agree that we will have to bring one or two more QBs on board to round out the roster and compete.

That just made my day... For a second there I thought the whole entire world had gone mad and John Beck was going to be our starter.

If the team thinks that Beck gives them a better option at QB then wait who else is on the roster...even I can't take this seriously hahaha

Of course it's Becks job to lose. :obvious:

Said this in another thread, but Shanahan is stiring the pot nicely here. He's giving props to Beck in order to ;

- Stick the boot into McNabb & tell the world he's available, ie Your done in DC

- Put Rex on notice. You haven't got us by the balls like you think you have. Continue to ask for too much & your done in DC as well.

- Massage Beck's ego a little bit. He likes him, and wants to give him a fair go. Plus, in a shortened offseason, Beck will be needed to take the lead whilst others (FA QB's) get up to speed. May as well piss up his back a bit now to get him working hard. Beck might not be the long term solution, but he has value to Mike in the short-term if nothing else.

If the Skins are going to scrape the bottom of the barrel, why not bring in Cleo Lemon from the Canadian League? He was the guy who beat out Beck in Miami.

Beck was a rookie thrown in a terrible situation, and was Cam Cameron's pet project. Who, by the way, brought Beck to Baltimore after he was fired from Miami. Baltimore was desperate for corner help and unloaded him to Shanny, who apparently had him rated as his top quarterback in the 07 draft. Keep in mind, Baltimore's first pick in the draft was Jimmy Smith, a cornerback. They knew they needed cornerback help.

I'm sure the Shanahan's could get a lot out of the kid. The one thing he has over Grossman is better mobility and faster feet. He sets up quicker then Grossman. He needs an opportunity. He has high upside. Kind of reminds me of Trent Green. We need to quit thinking we're going to win now and start developing players. If Beck consistently improves and by the end of the year is playing the position at a high level, we win. If not, and it turns out to be a tough year and we find out he's not the person, it puts us in the Luck sweepstakes. To me it's win win. A lot good quarterbacks in next years draft.

Shanny is trying to win now, he has to if we suck again he'll be on the hotseat. Bruce already said we're going to be aggressive in free agency. It's easy right now to say your fine with losing but once the season comes the same fans will be calling for Shannys head.

The same fans that argued against us that said we would be better off losing to Jax, which if we did we get 6th pick and pull off trade with Atl, now u guys are saying you can take losing? Yea right ill believe it when I see it.

We will go after Vince Young sign a bunch of free agents, be excited and expect a winning season just like the last 15 years.

If we do suck you better believe Shanny will be on the hotseat, and he knows it, which is why he won't go with Beck and why we will be aggressive in free agency.

I like the way our RB and WR positions are slowly taking shape especially if Kelly can finally become the starter we envisioned we we drafted him. I think he's the best pure WR we have personally. When and if FA finally becomes available, I really hope we take a look at Michael Bush. We need a pure power back like him to share the load with Torain. Beck would like that too I'd imagine, along with an OL addition or two.

If the Skins are going to scrape the bottom of the barrel, why not bring in Cleo Lemon from the Canadian League? He was the guy who beat out Beck in Miami.

Not entirely true, Maimi went with Pennington and had Henne in the wings also. They had those four and one needed to go. I think they did Beck a favor honestly.

---------- Post added May-21st-2011 at 10:19 AM ----------

Beck was a rookie thrown in a terrible situation, and was Cam Cameron's pet project. Who, by the way, brought Beck to Baltimore after he was fired from Miami. Baltimore was desperate for corner help and unloaded him to Shanny, who apparently had him rated as his top quarterback in the 07 draft. Keep in mind, Baltimore's first pick in the draft was Jimmy Smith, a cornerback. They knew they needed cornerback help.

I'm sure the Shanahan's could get a lot out of the kid. The one thing he has over Grossman is better mobility and faster feet. He sets up quicker then Grossman. He needs an opportunity. He has high upside. Kind of reminds me of Trent Green. We need to quit thinking we're going to win now and start developing players. If Beck consistently improves and by the end of the year is playing the position at a high level, we win. If not, and it turns out to be a tough year and we find out he's not the person, it puts us in the Luck sweepstakes. To me it's win win. A lot good quarterbacks in next years draft.

Nice summary and I agree, added to that is that Beck's arm is better than Grossmans or McNabbs, unless someone with a better arm and faster feet suddenly is available, then Beck is the best option. Fast feet need apply considering the OL at this point.

Archived