Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man who clashed with cops over legal gun was also armed with audio recorder

Hunter44

With all due respect, thats the opposite of the proper way to look at this and akin to a rape victim being blamed due to a miniskirt.

I said that he wasn't in the wrong at all, but i think that open carry invites problems that could be avoided if carrying concealed. Just my opinion and I never said the guy was wrong at all

Do you really not understand the difference between government watching your every move and a store doing it? And it's not about government protecting their public officials, though that would be an interesting way of spinning it. What kind of constitution do y'all have up there anyway?

People are always creaming about privacy issues

Government recording what I am doing vs someone recording me on their phone as they are taping a public official looking for a got cha moment is not really all that different to me

Government recording what I am doing vs someone recording me on their phone as they are taping a public official looking for a got cha moment is not really all that different to me

Key difference here: what can 1 person do to the government? What can the government do to 1 person?

wouldnt it make much more sense for the public officials to avoid performing "gotchya" moments instead of undermining individual privacy rights? The government has no right to privacy, we do.

Key difference here: what can 1 person do to the government? What can the government do to 1 person?

You mean what can I do recording a government official in gotcha moment?

Or what can I do if I start recording the police after baiting them and they are taking me down hard?

Or what can I do if I start recording the police after baiting them and they are taking me down hard?

You are blatantly avoiding the key issue so I'm not going to bother continuing this.

wouldnt it make much more sense for the public officials to avoid performing "gotchya" moments instead of undermining individual privacy rights? The government has no right to privacy, we do.

Well if you can say one group of indivuals has no right to privacy then you have to apply the rule equally to all

You are blatantly avoiding the key issue so I'm not going to bother continuing this.

The only key issue to me is all should be subject to the same sets of rules

If it is okay for me to record people and say it is a protection then it is okay for those in public or government to do the same and claim protection

you disagree that open carry invites more problems than concealed carry? just curious..

I think what he was saying is that just because it invites more problems isn't a reason to not do it. If you feel more comfortable open carrying than concealed carrying, you should absolutely do it regardless of the problems it invites. Situations like this one, while they obviously suck, will eventually go a long way toward educating people about the fact that open carry is perfectly legal.

I think what he was saying is that just because it invites more problems isn't a reason to not do it. If you feel more comfortable open carrying than concealed carrying, you should absolutely do it regardless of the problems it invites. Situations like this one, while they obviously suck, will eventually go a long way toward educating people about the fact that open carry is perfectly legal.

i get that, and that totally makes sense. i feel bad for this guy, but if it were me i would feel very paranoid if was open carrying

...or you could make sure the officers KNOW THE LAW they're instructed to enforce...

:doh:

Yeah, WTF?? How the **** do the officers in question not know the laws pertaining the carrying of legal guns? This isn't some obscure little situation that you can afford to be oblivious about. I've seen people carrying guns in holsters around with them in several different states and, while it's not really commonplace, it's not a rarity either.

It seems to me like everything the PD said during and after the fact (suing him because they ended up looking terrible, "he set us the **** up," etc.) demonstrates they are clueless morons. The issue here is that your own officers don't know the goddamn law and almost shot someone because of it. Their ignorance and incompetence endangered lives.

The fact that the cop here opens the exchange pointing his gun at the guy demonstrates he's three shades of moron. There's really no need to escalate the situation like that but instead the cop totally **** his pants. It's Philly I guess. I think there is just ******* in the water.

If Fiorno had been shot then I think you bring that cop up on criminal charges.

Whether or not what this citizen did was incitement or baiting or entrapment or whatever... honestly, that shouldn't even be a consideration. The only thing to consider here is whether or not he broke the law. Period.

Besides, the article states that he has had several police officers approach him and ask to see his license in the past. All incidents ended quickly and professionally.

Whether or not what this citizen did was incitement or baiting or entrapment or whatever... honestly, that shouldn't even be a consideration. The only thing to consider here is whether or not he broke the law. Period.

Besides, the article states that he has had several police officers approach him and ask to see his license in the past. All incidents ended quickly and professionally.

Agreed. Cops have to know the laws they are enforcing and if they aren't clear they can always call their supervisor and ask. Pointing a gun at a guy and threatening to shoot him is not the appropriate "step 1" in this situation. :ols:

Well if you can say one group of indivuals has no right to privacy then you have to apply the rule equally to all

No-one said one group of INDIVIDUALS has no right to privacy, not once. You arent somehow trying to infer that an official, acting in an official capacity as a representative of Government is acting as an individual are you?

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 11:34 AM ----------

you disagree that open carry invites more problems than concealed carry? just curious..

I disagree that that rationale shoyuld even be considered to begin with and I disagree that it invites more problems than it doesnt.

One more reason NOT to carry an open firearm in public.

Please explain, or are you just choosing to fan the flames? If you're actually blaming the Fiorino for this, then it was said earlier, do you blame a girl who wears a miniskirt if she gets raped? The guy was CLEARLY within his rights, did everything correctly, was not belligerent AT ALL to the officers, was carrying his license, offered to show it, and they're saying he set them up. Please explain why this shows you shouldn't carry an open firearm in public.

Nevermind that if someone sees you carrying an open firearm, they are exponentially less likely to try to rob you.

I would like to first say that I fully support gun rights and most definitely support the right to carry holstered firearms in public.

But this story seems wierd to me based on the videos that the arrested individual has on youtube. personally, I think he set the cops up. That does not excuse the behavior of the cop though. Here is his profile. http://www.youtube.com/user/pistolpackintim#p/u He's been all about gun rights for quite a long time and has been posting videos for a year. Pistol Packin Tim? He could have picked any user name for his profile... this was what he chose. The incidennt in question was in late April, if I'm not mistaken. Just seems too fishy for me to believe it was random.

Regardless, here is a good video he posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgj_bq5Sj0s

But this story seems wierd to me based on the videos that the arrested individual has on youtube. personally, I think he set the cops up. That does not excuse the behavior of the cop though. Here is his profile. http://www.youtube.com/user/pistolpackintim#p/u He's been all about gun rights for quite a long time and has been posting videos for a year. Pistol Packin Tim? He could have picked any user name for his profile... this was what he chose. The incidennt in question was in late April, if I'm not mistaken. Just seems too fishy for me to believe it was random.

Regardless, here is a good video he posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgj_bq5Sj0s

PistolPackinTim is not the guy who was harrassed by the police... he is just a gun advocate who posted the audio.

How was this "baiting"? The citizen was well within his rights to OC.

I don't doubt it. I'm definitely liberal leaning but I'm also a gun owner, and I hate the fact that guns does seem to be a divisive issue. I love the work the ACLU does but if they really don't ever get involved with 2nd amendment cases then it's a shame.

That is because the ACLU doesn't interpret the Second Amendment the way that gun-rights people do (many people don't).

The ACLU is not biased against conservatives - it has represented Rush Limbaugh, Pat Buchanan and Tea Partiers - in First Amendment cases.

That is because the ACLU doesn't interpret the Second Amendment the way that gun-rights people do (many people don't).

The ACLU is not biased against conservatives - it has represented Rush Limbaugh, Pat Buchanan and Tea Partiers - in First Amendment cases.

I'd agree that they arent biased against conservatives as individuals at all. They are more biased against the second amendment. I always found it strange that they protect some of the individual rights in the BOR yet take opposite stances on the others.

I think they are a good organization as a whole though and do well in so many areas of fighting for the individual rights for many. Just wish they could be consistent.

Archived