Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Sources: Maryland's Williams retiring - (updated 5/8)

@DCGoldPants

Why not just go ****ing big.

Go to Indianapolis and park a Brinks truck in Brad Stevens driveway. He's estimated to make about $1 million. You could almost double that and still being paying less than you did to Gary to go to the NIT.

I like Brad Stevens but I'd prefer someone who is already familiar with the D.C. recruiting area. :2cents:

Why not just go ****ing big.

Go to Indianapolis and park a Brinks truck in Brad Stevens driveway. He's estimated to make about $1 million. You could almost double that and still being paying less than you did to Gary to go to the NIT.

The only school I see Stevens leaving for is Indiana. There's no way he leaves the program he built for a very weak program at Maryland, that would be a downgrade for Stevens, and he's better just waiting another year or 2 before Creen is fired at Indiana and then he can step in to build that program back up.

I just heard on the radio that Sean Miller (Arizona head coach) is rumored to be a possibility.

I was thinking about him too. But it seems like a lateral move to me. Maybe even a step back at this point. Miller strikes me as the kind of guy who is only going to leave for either Duke, Kentucky, or the NBA.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 04:52 PM ----------

The only school I see Stevens leaving for is Indiana. There's no way he leaves the program he built for a very weak program at Maryland, that would be a downgrade for Stevens, and he's better just waiting another year or 2 before Creen is fired at Indiana and then he can step in to build that program back up.

You are probably right about Indiana. My thought on Stevens is - as Gonzaga has proved - you only get so many chances at these Mid Majors. What happened the last two years seems like a perfect storm that will be impossible to replicate. That school had legit NBA talent in '10 and last year was as wide open as the tourney has ever been.

You are probably right about Indiana. My thought on Stevens is - as Gonzaga has proved - you only get so many chances at these Mid Majors. What happened the last two years seems like a perfect storm that will be impossible to replicate. That school had legit NBA talent in '10 and last year was as wide open as the tourney has ever been.

Of course what Stevens has done the past 2 years will be impossible to replicate; however, NCAA tournaments will continue to be as wide open as they have as long as players are still semi-pro's (1 & done) because mid-major schools will not only be able to compete, but win with experienced Juniors and Seniors against Freshman laden teams.

Also, I don't know why you used Gonzaga as a team that only gets so many chances because they've had 13 straight appearances in the big dance. It's not about getting the opportunity to get into the dance, it's what these mid-major schools do with it, and Butler w/Stevens has shown that they know how to make the most out of their tournament appearances.

If Brad Stevens can continue to have a competitive program, he could wait until an opening at UNC/Duke/Kansas type program.

No offense to UMD, obviously a storied program but I think Brad Stevens has a potential to be a HOF coach.

Though, if UMD offered and offered more money I wouldn't be shocked if he left. As LKB said, its hard to continue to be competitive at a mid-major.

If Brad Stevens can continue to have a competitive program, he could wait until an opening at UNC/Duke/Kansas type program.

No offense to UMD, obviously a storied program but I think Brad Stevens has a potential to be a HOF coach.

Though, if UMD offered and offered more money I wouldn't be shocked if he left. As LKB said, its hard to continue to be competitive at a mid-major.

Katz on ESPN just said Maryland was a top 10-15 job in the country and listed Stevens along with HC's from Pitt, Nova and ND.

Stevens likes his current situation. But if you offer him a chance for a lot more money and moving to an area where he can recruit his butt off to compete with Duke and UNC every year. That might be attractive. Maybe not. But if you could get him at 35 years old. That would be interesting.

Katz on ESPN just said Maryland was a top 10-15 job in the country and listed Stevens along with HC's from Pitt, Nova and ND.

Stevens likes his current situation. But if you offer him a chance for a lot more money and moving to an area where he can recruit his butt off to compete with Duke and UNC every year. That might be attractive. Maybe not. But if you could get him at 35 years old. That would be interesting.

Its difficult to say for me.

I know the history, but they've been such a mediocre program for so long now its difficult for me to figure out where they are. Plus the ACC isn't what it used to be. I guess that goes both ways as the competition isn't as stiff but I don't know.

The fact that the DMV area is so loaded with talent is almost more attractive than the fact that its Maryland to me. It may just be the best area in the country to recruit Basketball players. Gary's downfall was his inability or unwillingness to recruit.

Its difficult to say for me.

I know the history, but they've been such a mediocre program for so long now its difficult for me to figure out where they are. Plus the ACC isn't what it used to be. I guess that goes both ways as the competition isn't as stiff but I don't know.

The fact that the DMV area is so loaded with talent is almost more attractive than the fact that its Maryland to me. It may just be the best area in the country to recruit Basketball players. Gary's downfall was his inability or unwillingness to recruit.

I agree with Gary not wanting to deal with 1 and Done guys or AAU players.

But, lets be honest, When Coach K retires, Duke will take a hit. Whoever replaces him won't be able to bully refs the same way. What happened when Dean Smith left? It took awhile for Roy Williams to get into place. If the DMV helps get a coach in there, who cares? Just get a guy who's willing to pound the pavement and get the most out of this area before getting on a plane (or doing nothing)

But, lets be honest, When Coach K retires, Duke will take a hit. Whoever replaces him won't be able to bully refs the same way. What happened when Dean Smith left? It took awhile for Roy Williams to get into place. If the DMV helps get a coach in there, who cares? Just get a guy who's willing to pound the pavement and get the most out of this area before getting on a plane (or doing nothing)

Yeah.

I agree, and I REALLY wouldn't want Brad Stevens to go to UMD, I think he'd turn that program around immediately.

If brad stevens goes to Duke, there will be no letdown. Honestly i think there are only two programs in the country that wont be affected for the immediate future. Duke and UNC. Coaches dont need to cheat to get guys to go there. Have you ever heard a violation from those two programs?

If brad stevens goes to Duke, there will be no letdown. Honestly i think there are only two programs in the country that wont be affected for the immediate future. Duke and UNC. Coaches dont need to cheat to get guys to go there. Have you ever heard a violation from those two programs?

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/12/28/duke-will-self-report-recruiting-violation/

There's rumors that the investigation into the UNC football scandal is going to find some dirt on UNC basketball but I think I'd be kind of surprised.

I feel like if Coach K or Roy Williams walks into a kid's house there's really not many programs that can compete. Memphis if you're a one and done, maybe Kansas but not much else.

Shaka Smart would be a great hire...but nah...MD wants to overpay for someone who will continue the program to be mediocre.

Personally I don't think Shaka is that great of a coach.

I think he's a great motivator, but I'm not sure how great of an X's and O's type guy he is. We'll see if he can continue to succeed over the years since he decided to stay at VCU.

No way.....VCU fans were wanting him fired until he made that run.

Exactly.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/12/28/duke-will-self-report-recruiting-violation/

There's rumors that the investigation into the UNC football scandal is going to find some dirt on UNC basketball but I think I'd be kind of surprised.

I feel like if Coach K or Roy Williams walks into a kid's house there's really not many programs that can compete. Memphis if you're a one and done, maybe Kansas but not much else.

and thats the power of UNC and Duke. Its like the steelers in football, you know they will get a great hire to take over that program, and how do you know that Coach K is already training his successor?

Gary would not line AAU coaches pockets either.

Unfortunately Alumni and Metro area fans are okay with kicking principles to the curb for a chance to win.

Another thing is the quality players in Maryland who do go to other college campuses get to compare top quality facilities to err well Maryland. And if you have spent your entire life here you are more apt to try some place new and away from not so good environments.

http://twitter.com/#!/WNST/status/66263681951989760

GMC: Names Rick Barnes and Jay Wright floating around. Wright has always been dream for Gary as potential replacement.

http://twitter.com/#!/DaveTelep/status/66250146744238081

That crash you hear is the coaching carousel coming off its hinges. It's about to ripple through a bunch of conferences courtesy the Terps

http://twitter.com/#!/DanWolken/status/66259115101536256

Most fans, people outside the basketball industry don't understand how good a job Maryland is.

Archived