Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Sources: Maryland's Williams retiring - (updated 5/8)

@DCGoldPants

That's an interesting one.

I like it.

Relatively young and a very good recruiter who typically raids the D.C. area for talent.

Is Maryland willing to pay that much though?

Maryland seems to have a very Walmart approach to running its Athletic Programs right now. Is there a young assistant on Georgetown's staff? That's a program that seems to be doing everything right at the moment.

The Sports Junkies are very close to Mike Brey and they've been saying for years that MD is the only job he'd leave Notre Dame for.
It's really a no brainer. He loves MD, is a great recruiter, runs a clean program and is a great coach. MD would be competitive immediately.

Is Maryland willing to pay that much though?

Maryland seems to have a very Walmart approach to running its Athletic Programs right now. Is there a young assistant on Georgetown's staff? That's a program that seems to be doing everything right at the moment.

Most of G'Town's staff is relatively new.

They've lost a few assistants in the last few years.

At least a few people are guessing that the Jordan Williams/Gary Williams leaving thing happened in the opposite chronology. That is, Gary informed Jordan that he was going to retire, so Jordan signed with an agent. Speculation is rampant, but that makes some sense.

Nope. That's wrong.

Jordan Williams had no intention of returning to MD...no matter what. He hasn't attended class since the season was over. Been working out in Las Vegas.

Most of G'Town's staff is relatively new.

They've lost a few assistants in the last few years.

G'Town's staff does not look particularly appealing. For one, I don't think that style of play meshes with the ACC. Also, I don't expect them to land some baby for this job. Maryland is a premier coaching position based on league, history, and recruitment base. Its surpassed in prestige only by a very few: Duke, UNC, UCLA, and maybe Indiana and Kentucky. Its on the next level, at worst after that.

I expect a big name and a big coach to come in. Or, I expect one of Gary's former assistants to take over: Patsos, Dickerson.

G'Town's staff does not look particularly appealing. For one, I don't think that style of play meshes with the ACC. Also, I don't expect them to land some baby for this job. Maryland is a premier coaching position based on league, history, and recruitment base. Its surpassed in prestige only by a very few: Duke, UNC, UCLA, and maybe Indiana and Kentucky. Its on the next level, at worst after that.

I expect a big name and a big coach to come in. Or, I expect one of Gary's former assistants to take over: Patsos, Dickerson.

Again...will Maryland pay? I don't care how much Mike Bray loves Maryland. He ain't leaving a Top Ten program to rebuild Maryland for a lot less money.

Again...will Maryland pay? I don't care how much Mike Bray loves Maryland. He ain't leaving a Top Ten program to rebuild Maryland for a lot less money.

Since when is Maryland considered stingy? I think the CBS quote hits it right on the head though that this would be a big get for any potential coach.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 05:18 PM ----------

Also... what about Rick Barnes? Former Gary protege... not the best coach but a great recruiter.

I was worried about this.

Nick Faust is a future star. :(

http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapins/2011/5/5/2156073/gary-williams-retire-maryland-basketball-recruiting-nick-faust-sterling-gibbs

Gary Williams Retires, Prompts Top Singees To Reopen Their Recruitment

The news of Gary Williams' retirement from Maryland is less than an hour old and already the fallout has started. Two of the school's top signees have announced they will reopen recruitment following Williams' announcement on Thursday.

Both Sterling Gibbs and Nick Faust will reopen their recruitments, according to Adam Zagoria.

"Yes, I will reopen with Nick Faust," Gibbs, a point guard out of Seton Hall Prep, said by text.

Faust, a 6-6, 175-pound shooting guard from Baltimore City College High, originally picked Maryland over Oregon State, Florida State, Marquette and Villanova.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound Gibbs also considered DePaul, Indiana, Pitt, Rutgers, St. John's and Seton Hall.

Since they both signed letters of intent, Gibbs and Faust will have to get permission from Maryland before they are able to look elsewhere. Gibbs is a three-star point guard from West Orange, NJ; Faust was a Top 75 recruit from Baltimore.

IMO, this had more to do with the new AD than anything else. First Fridgen goes and now Gary. IMO, It could've come to a point where Gary would've have been forced out, but I'm glad he's leaving on his own terms. Also, we also lose another great basketball coach. First Laranega and now Williams.

IMO, this had more to do with the new AD than anything else. First Fridgen goes and now Gary. IMO, It could've come to a point where Gary would've have been forced out, but I'm glad he's leaving on his own terms. Also, we also lose another great basketball coach. First Laranega and now Williams.

Gary is staying on staff as an Assistant Athletics Director though... doesn't make much sense. I think he's old and tired.

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/29091989

The Maryland job is now the biggest available job from this offseason.

Coaches widely consider it to be one of the nation's best jobs because of its natural recruiting base.

"The right guy there will kill it," a source told CBSSports.com. "If they get the right guy, they'll win really big."

But who?

Why not just go ****ing big.

Go to Indianapolis and park a Brinks truck in Brad Stevens driveway. He's estimated to make about $1 million. You could almost double that and still being paying less than you did to Gary to go to the NIT.

All Maryland needs is a good coach who is not a toxic recruiter. Georgetown proves what happens when you have a coach that the locals don't hate.

Why not just go ****ing big.

Go to Indianapolis and park a Brinks truck in Brad Stevens driveway. He's estimated to make about $1 million. You could almost double that and still being paying less than you did to Gary to go to the NIT.

Brad Stevens would be an unbelievable hire.

Archived