Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Sources: Maryland's Williams retiring - (updated 5/8)

@DCGoldPants

The truth about Gary is after he won his NC, he felt liberated in tha the didn't have to recruit the kids with the sleaziest advisors in the game. He had capital and he did it his way.

That's pretty much what he did, and the result has been ten years of mediocrity. But just by being Maryland, it was mediocrity that a hundred other schools would kill to achieve.

Gary saved the Maryland program. Gary won a natonal championship. Gary is a legend. Gary also coasted for the last decade.

Maryland is not in a "DECENT" location. It is in arguably the single greatest location for high school basketball talent in the world. It is - without question - in the middle of one of the five best locations for basketball talent. How may McDonalds All-Americans are in the same bloody county as UConn?

St. Johns should be better' date=' but - like Georgetown - it has facility and administration issues that a large state school like Maryland simply does not have. Duke is going to have these same problems once Coach K leaves.[/quote']

I guess I misunderstood your definition of location. I was thinking more in terms of weather wise and such. Recruiting wise, there may not be a better place. So I do agree with that.

Mentioning Indiana in that company is blaphemy. UConn, Syracuse, St. John's???, are products of great coaches, nothing more.

New York City trumps College Park, MD any day of the week. At St. Johns you play your home games at Madison Square Garden...that blows away the Comcast Center no matter how nice it is.

What I will miss about Gary is the improvements all of his teams made through the season. He was a master at improving the skills of his players. It seemed almost every year began slowly, and I attribute a lot of the slow starts to the refusal to pick those who come to college with game ready skills. As much as I hated the slow starts, I had to keep telling myself, "Let's see how the team looks in January.

When I think baout what I want college sports to be about, Gary's teaching style personified it. It isn't pro, and I think Gary made sure it wasn't. Atleast that's the impression I got as an outsider.

Aren't all programs the product of a great coach? That's how they get to elite territory. Wooden, Rupp, K, Smith, Knight, Calhoun, Boeheim, etc.

To some degree, yes. But some programs seem to have the university support, facilty support, alumni support, and location to be self-sustaining to a large degree. The question is, If the program is down, how easy is it to get back?

Indiana does not have the recruiting base or administration support (apparently) to get back easily. Kentucky always seems to have the support of the administration to do what is necessary to get back.

The best example is Notre Dame football. Why can't Notre Dame get back into the Top Ten? Because the administration handcuffs the recruiting process.

Maryland is not going to let you bring illiterates in. But Gary's brought in JC transfers and Prop 48 kids. So, you can generally get who you want.

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 09:35 AM ----------

New York City trumps College Park, MD any day of the week. At St. Johns you play your home games at Madison Square Garden...that blows away the Comcast Center no matter how nice it is.

St. Johns plays some games at MSG. They play most of their home games on campus though. And - like Georgetown - it is cool to occasionally play your home games in an 18,000 seat NBA arena. But it's not cool to take a bus ride to a home game in a building where you are a renter. Off-campus arenas lose their luster very quickly when you realize that you don't even have your own locker.

Georgetown and St. Johns would kill to have Maryland's facilities.

To some degree' date=' yes. But some programs seem to have the university support, facilty support, alumni support, and location to be self-sustaining to a large degree. The question is, If the program is down, how easy is it to get back?

Indiana does not have the recruiting base or administration support (apparently) to get back easily. Kentucky always seems to have the support of the administration to do what is necessary to get back.

The best example is Notre Dame football. Why can't Notre Dame get back into the Top Ten? Because the administration handcuffs the recruiting process.

Maryland is not going to let you bring illiterates in. But Gary's brought in JC transfers and Prop 48 kids. So, you can generally get who you want.[/quote']

Yeah you definitely have to have some support from the school itself and it seems like UMD doesn't get in the way often. It seems that we agree on most things LKB, and even though I'm not a MD fan, I think they are a sleeping giant. With the right coach, they could be very dangerous in the ACC.

And people act like finishing 3rd in the ACC is a bad thing. Chances are if you finish top 3 in the ACC, you're probably ranked and going to the NCAA tournament. Its definitely not like being the Blue Jays, if they don't win the AL East, their chances of making the postseason are slim. Its not that way in college bball.

I guess I misunderstood your definition of location. I was thinking more in terms of weather wise and such. Recruiting wise, there may not be a better place. So I do agree with that.

I think weather matters tremendously in football recruiting. I don't think it matters in basketball at all. If it did, Miami would be a power while UConn and Syracuse would be jokes. (Seriously, Syracuse has the worst ****ing weather in the country. I don't know why anyone lives there).

Top football recruits are going to spend three years practicing outside. Basketball recruits are going to spend a year or two inside.

If Maryland could get Edsall for football (and Maryland is WAY WAY WAY behind on the national pecking order for football compared to its basketball program), then I have little doubt that they'll get a top basketball coach. Mike Brey is shooting way too low. This guy never gets it done in March.

Yeah you definitely have to have some support from the school itself and it seems like UMD doesn't get in the way often. It seems that we agree on most things LKB, and even though I'm not a MD fan, I think they are a sleeping giant. With the right coach, they could be very dangerous in the ACC.

And people act like finishing 3rd in the ACC is a bad thing. Chances are if you finish top 3 in the ACC, you're probably ranked and going to the NCAA tournament. Its definitely not like being the Blue Jays, if they don't win the AL East, their chances of making the postseason are slim. Its not that way in college bball.

In 50 years, UCLA is still going to be a prestige job and it has nothing to do with Wooden. It has to do with the fact that you can recruit LA while playing in awesome facilities. And the administration has always been very basketball friendly.

There is also always a reason why UCLA and USC football seem to go through these up and down spurts. Their football facilities are really subpar. The Colliseum is awesome when you are good and there are 100,000 people there. It's the worst stadium in the country when there are 50,000 people there, you are mediocre, and you are playing Northern Colorado.

Recruiting base, facilities, tv, and administration support are the keys. Maryland certainly has the first three. They seem to have the last one at least in terms of who is allowed into the school. Gary and Yow's feud didn't help anyone, but both are gone now.

(By the way, I put the whole Under Armour thing under "administration support." Oregon has become Oregon because the administration there basically handed their athletic program to Phil Knight. Oklahoma State has done the same thing with T Boone Pickens, but saying "Come play for a 90 year old billionaire" is not the same as saying "Come play for Nike." How much power they give to Under Armour in the coming years will be really interesting).

Plank paid the buyout for Fridge. That says all we need to know about his influence on the current AD.

The Football team now is going to add even more jersey's to their collection in 2011. While Plank and Gary are good. I think we're going to see UA really start to drop money on the school over the next few years.

(By the way' date=' I put the whole Under Armour thing under "administration support." Oregon has become Oregon because the administration there basically handed their athletic program to Phil Knight. Oklahoma State has done the same thing with T Boone Pickens, but saying "Come play for a 90 year old billionaire" is not the same as saying "Come play for Nike." How much power they give to Under Armour in the coming years will be really interesting).[/quote']

I've been saying for awhile that both Under Armour and UMD need to become the next Oregon/Nike. Sounds crazy but before Oregon started becoming a National contender, they were known for their crazy uniforms. MD needs to do something similar with Under Armour. Maybe not as crazy looking for different combos, but players like to look good when they play and Under Armour needs to take advantage of that. The better jerseys that UA comes up with, the more people will pay attention to MD. The better MD is, the more exposure they get.

Uh, where did you come up with this? They finished the regular season 21-10. They hit a bad streak right at the end of the season, but came back and lost to ODU in the CAA tourney final.

You do know they lost they're best rebounder from last year to the NBA, right? Larry Sanders was a 1st round draft pick in the 2010 NBA draft. With him still at VCU this year, I don't think they lose to Butler in the semis.

They finished with 10 losses, and lost 5 out of their 8 last games. They finished 4th in the CAA, and lost 4 straight CAA games (3 of them at home). Lost to ODU twice in Richmond, got spanked by both ODU & Mason in back to back home games.

VCU was by far the luckiest team to get into the big dance, and that includes UAB as well because UAB beat VCU during the regular season. VCU fans were calling for Smart's head after losing 4 straight conference games and 5 out of the last 8, and now he's one of the most sought after coaches because of VCU's Final Four run? Get the **** out of here. Smart didn't change anything or do anything different, the players Anthony Grant recruited simply got hot and shot lights out from 3, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

As for Sanders, he was a joke at VCU. He was athletic and played some defense, but never showed up in big games, Gerald Lee dominated him while in school. The only reason Sanders was drafted was on potential, not for what he did on the court at VCU. VCU was lucky Sanders left because that allowed guys like Skeen to step up and become the offensive leader and be the scorer that team needed, because Sanders sure as hell wasn't going to do that. VCU would have been worse with Sanders on that team.

This is a post from an Arizona Wildcats message board.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=109900&page=5

Hey guys,

Maryland season tix holder here and just coming on to let you guys know what we have heard. Word is that Miller is one of two finalists and decision will be made in a few days. Other finalist seems to be Jamie Dixon from Pitt. This from our moderator on our rivals premium board who is usually tied in pretty well. Board sentiment seems to be behind Miller most.

Dont want to get into a beef about your school versus ours, both are great jobs and miller is obviously a great coach and I wouldnt want to lose him if I was in your shoes either.

As for Maryland being his dream job, we also have heard it said by several sources. I didnt know it but Sean actually used to perform his dribbling act at Cole Field house when he was 8 yrs old. I probably saw him do it (yep, thats how old I am). He's apparently originally from Pennsylvania.

From what we have heard from our moderator, he would give his left you-know-what for the job. Since I havent spoken to him, who knows. We also heard, he contacted the AD here, not vice versa. If true, I guess his interest is genuine. Or, he's looking for leverage in the salary game with UofA.

As for $, apparently, they are ready to pay whatever it takes for a big name coach. GW makes about 2 mill a year so it will be at least that and probably more if it takes it.

GW has been great for Maryland and its good for him to go out on his terms. A lot of fans have been getting after him because he refuses to recruit the big name recruits but theres no denying his ability to coach x's and o's and to motivate. Nothing finer than to knock off the Dukies like you guys did last year and we have done it as much as anyone other than UNC.

Anyway, thats what we know over here and it looks like things will be settled quickly. Will make for a long week-end for you guys and us too. Sounds like they want it done by Monday if possible but these things tend to drag on when the lawyers get involved with the contract. Anyway, if we get Sean, I know it will sting but you have to have confidence in your situation to get a good replacement. If he stays, then great for you guys and us cuz we will get a good coach too. I root for anyone that knocks off Duke. Good luck either way.

Larry

St. John's is a middle of the road program at best that averages 6K in attendance a game in a high profile dump while MD averages 17K. The DC/Baltimore area is a basketball recruiting mecca that NY hasn't touched in 40 years. Simply put, you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=109918

:):):):)

InsideMDSports has confirmed through multiple sources that three of Maryland’s top targets to succeed Gary Williams -- Sean Miller, Jay Wright and Jamie Dixon -- have all told those close to them that they would accept if offered the job.

Arizona’s Miller may have emerged as a favorite for the job, sources said, and has had what were characterized with serious discussions with Maryland officials -- likely athletic director Kevin Anderson -- about the job. Miller, one of the nation’s hottest young coaches, has told several sources that Maryland is his “dream job.” A Pittsburgh native, he has family in the Washington, D.C., area, and has long coveted the job.

Wright, who has rebuilt Villlanova into a national-caliber program, has the strongest relationship of the three to Williams. It remains to be seen how much of a role that will play in the selection process. He, too, would love to have the job.

Dixon has a pre-existing relationship with Anderson. His sister Maggie Dixon, who passed away in 206, was hired by Anderson in 2005 as Army’s women’s basketball coach. Sources said Wright would be unlikely to leave Pitt for many jobs, but Maryland is one of them. Wright is also among the nation’s most highly respected coaches, but some question whether his team’s Big East-oriented, rough-and-tumble playing style would be well-suited for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Miller, Wright and Dixon are the likeliest candidates to get the job. Butler coach Brad Stevens has also expressed interest, but unlike the aforementioned three, he has little if any ties to the area -- where as Miller, Wright and Dixon all have longstanding ties to the major players in the area’s high school and AAU basketball scene.

Stay tuned for more exclusive news on this constantly developing story …

St. John's is a middle of the road program at best that averages 6K in attendance a game in a high profile dump while MD averages 17K. The DC/Baltimore area is a basketball recruiting mecca that NY hasn't touched in 40 years. Simply put, you have no idea what you are talking about.

And you're just another Terp homer who perenially overrates the program. I look forward to Maryland screwing up this hire.

That's why St Johns landed about 5 or 6 Top 100 recruits next year and MD landed what maybe 1. Again, take emotion out of the argument

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2599/class/2011

That's why St Johns landed about 5 or 6 Top 100 recruits next year and MD landed what maybe 1. Again, take emotion out of the argument

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2599/class/2011

You're looking at one year of recruiting and extrapolating that to the power of the program? Seriously?

If you want to compare St. Johns to Maryland, let's do so after this hire. St. Johns just hired a guy who had not coached in about five years since being FIRED from UCLA because he was known for great recruiting and constant underachieving. It is sounding more and more like Maryland is going to hire one of Jay Wright, Sean Miller, or Jamie Dixon, i.e. three of the top "gets" in college basketball. So, let the market play out and then lets compare. deal? :)

That's because Steve Lavin actually recruits. Gary didn't.

If MD lands a Jay Wright they will be a powerhouse in a very short period. Trust me.

If MD lands a Jay Wright they will be a powerhouse in a very short period. Trust me.

Jay Wright is who I prefer, but my gut is telling me Sean Miller makes more sense to Gary and the AD. He seems more like Gary in that he recruits well but then maximizes his players' talents, e.g. Derrick Williams.

At the end of the day Jay Wright, Sean Miller, will use MD opening for a pay increase at their current school. MD will be left hiring Todd Bozeman. Again, why would Jay Wright or Sean Miller leave their programs when they can recruit kids from this area to their current programs?

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 03:43 PM ----------

Jay Wright isn't coming to college park. Bank on that

At the end of the day Jay Wright, Sean Miller, will use MD opening for a pay increase at their current school. MD will be left hiring Todd Bozeman. Again, why would Jay Wright or Sean Miller leave their programs when they can recruit kids from this area to their current programs?

A) Arizona doesn't recruit this area.

B) Jay Wright may be leaving because of a lot of unrest in the Villanova Athletics Department. For one, they are trying to become more of a football school and spending much money there. Two, there is serious concern that the Big East will end up splitting up soon.

You're also not realizing that both those guys, Miller and Wright, have significan ties to this area. Meaning they like it here. Say you're any free agent coach. And the Nova job the Arizona job and the Maryland job are open. You have same pay offers. There is no question which one you take. Its not even close.

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 11:50 AM ----------

Jay Wright isn't coming to college park. Bank on that

So, every reporter and college basketball analyst is stupid? He's on the short list.

Where do you actually put Maryland in terms of desirability to other coaches?

I'll admit it, Jay Wright's got me.

A) Arizona doesn't recruit this area.

B) Jay Wright may be leaving because of a lot of unrest in the Villanova Athletics Department. For one, they are trying to become more of a football school and spending much money there. Two, there is serious concern that the Big East will end up splitting up soon.

You're also not realizing that both those guys, Miller and Wright, have significan ties to this area. Meaning they like it here. Say you're any free agent coach. And the Nova job the Arizona job and the Maryland job are open. You have same pay offers. There is no question which one you take. Its not even close.

My point is they CAN if they wanted too. You act as if Arizona can't recruit who they want, again they are a program who I believe is and will reastablish themsleves as a powerhouse like they did with Lute Olsen was there

Jay Wright can compete for national championships at Nova, and again I've heard no reports of him having any friction with the athletic department. MD can shoot for the stars all they want at the end of the day a Todd Bozeman type name will take over this program.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2011

Archived