Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From a Christian POV, does Satan have Eternal LIfe?

Thinking Skins

I've never considered this, honestly. It's an interesting question.

techboy? :)

he already answered

judging from his brevity, I assume he wasn't too impressed with the question

I can't see what more techboy can add. Hell isn't like a kingdom where Satan is happily in charge of a bunch of miserable people. And everyone goes on forever, including Satan.

The only thing I can think to add is that most of the questions people have about hell aren't really dogma. There wasn't a whole lot of detail given about hell and I am amazed by the specifics some people tease out and proclaim dogmatically about the eternal enmity with God. We don't even know if heaven and hell are different "locations" whatever a "location" is in the spiritual sense.

Is hell the absence of God's presence? Or is hell the intimate presence of God to a person who hates him? In that case, heaven and hell could be the same, only the individual's disposition to God makes the experience different.

Hell isn't like a kingdom where Satan is happily in charge of a bunch of miserable people. And everyone goes on forever, including Satan.

Quite the opposite. Hell was originally created for the devil and his fallen angels, not for people.

The fires of hell will eventually abate....

"Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:14. "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth." "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Revelation 21:1, 4.

Yes, indeed, the Bible specifically teaches that hellfire will go out and that there will not be left "a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." The Bible also teaches that in God's new kingdom all "former things" will be passed away. Hell, being one of the former things, is included, so we have God's promise that it will be abolished.

This is in stark contrast to the verse that I posted earlier....

(Rev. 20:10)

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

That's the problem I have with the bible....you can make it say whatever you want, in some cases.

Quite the opposite. Hell was originally created for the devil and his fallen angels, not for people.

Where does one see the creation of hell?

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 08:18 AM ----------

The question was whether Satan had eternal life. You could say that eternal damnation is a form of death - and it is death of the spirit...but you also have to consider that Satan will be tortured endlessly, and therefor must be alive. It seems to be a play on words here that will not really be able to be straightened out.

As for it being mentioned earlier in the bible, someone should offer into evidence, oh, I don't know, scripture maybe?

Those who chose to follow Satan get the same reward Satan get and they are going to be destroyed

We see Satan in heaven until the book of Revelation then he tossed to the Earth, we know from Job he had the ability to go back and forth so the casting out seems permanant.

After Armageddon we see him abyssed for the 1000 years then released and given a time to test people again (this why some are raised to life and others to death because they will choose to rebel.

Then we see Satan cast into the lake of fire, but this fire is not literal since we see both abstract things like death there and figrative things like the false prophet and the wild beast.

So if death can be no more than niether will the devil

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 08:44 AM ----------

The fires of hell will eventually abate....

"Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:14. "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth." "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Revelation 21:1, 4.

Yes, indeed, the Bible specifically teaches that hellfire will go out and that there will not be left "a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." The Bible also teaches that in God's new kingdom all "former things" will be passed away. Hell, being one of the former things, is included, so we have God's promise that it will be abolished.

This is in stark contrast to the verse that I posted earlier....

(Rev. 20:10)

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

That's the problem I have with the bible....you can make it say whatever you want, in some cases.

One also has to look at scriptures like the one in Jude that talks about Sodom and Gomorrah undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire

We know these cities are not burning right now but for all time the reader of the account of those cities will read of them being burned up with fire and as long as we have those written records and God and those in heaven have memorary of what happened for all eternity

The only thing I can think to add is that most of the questions people have about hell aren't really dogma. There wasn't a whole lot of detail given about hell and I am amazed by the specifics some people tease out and proclaim dogmatically about the eternal enmity with God. We don't even know if heaven and hell are different "locations" whatever a "location" is in the spiritual sense.

Is hell the absence of God's presence? Or is hell the intimate presence of God to a person who hates him? In that case, heaven and hell could be the same, only the individual's disposition to God makes the experience different.

Most rational religious people I know would say that hell is life without God. Exsiting without God is hell.

Well Hell is suppose to represent being the farthest from God as possible. So wouldn't that mean it would be cold since the person's soul is cold so to speak. But yeah Hell was suppose to be for Satan and his fallen angels that were defeated. It just became a resting place of of evil souls. that doesn't mean anyone is in charge of it. Satan could be the head of Hell but its not like he was given the name.

Most rational religious people I know would say that hell is life without God. Exsiting without God is hell.

That's a common view of hell from a Western (Roman) perspective. A more typical Eastern perspective is that Hell can't be the absence of God because God is everywhere. It is rational to say that the full presence of God would be insufferable for a person who hates God...more rational (from their point of view) than it is to say that there is some limitation to God's presence.

I don't really know what hell's like. Not good. I prefer heaven. After that, it gets kind of murky.

That's a common view of hell from a Western (Roman) perspective. A more typical Eastern perspective is that Hell can't be the absence of God because God is everywhere. It is rational to say that the full presence of God would be insufferable for a person who hates God...more rational (from their point of view) than it is to say that there is some limitation to God's presence.

I don't really know what hell's like. Not good. I prefer heaven. After that, it gets kind of murky.

The Eastern view makes more sense to me, especially with all the imagery of Hell being a place of fire. In my opinion if a soul was exposed to the full presence of God it would combust from the sheer power of his presence.

Archived