Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fingers and Hands constantly "going to sleep". Temporary or do I need to look further into it?

Hardcore Zornography

I started a landscaping job 2 weeks ago. I have pretty much in the retail or food industries my entire work career, so naturally I have been aching all over and getting used to doing manual labor full time for the first time in my life.

But ever since Thursday night, whenever I am just sitting in my recliner watching tv, or on the computer, or even sleeping, my fingers go to sleep and start getting that needles feeling in them. It has become very annoying over the weekend because it happens when I am not doing anything. It woke me up 2 different times in the middle of the night.

Obviously, if it persists, I know I will need to take my no insurance butt to the doctor, but do you think it is something I should worry about right now? Or is it just part of the getting used to the constant use of them at my new job and will eventually subside?

I'm a doc, and that symptom concerns me. It's basically a sign of peripheral nerve dysfunction. There are a bunch of minor things it could be (most likely), but a couple of big ones. Hard to imagine a pinched nerve getting both hands. I'd be more worried about spinal cord issues. Don't want to scare you, but I would certainly get it checked out if it persists.

I get them too. All the way down to my toes sometimes. One time I thought my big toe was going to fall off since it had not woken up in days. But did a lot of toe motions/circular movements/dragging my toe across the carpet and by doing such things made the numbness go away. Same with the hands I get them too. Probably just need to take vitamins or such that promotes proper health of the circulatory and the nervous system. But in your case might be the sudden strenious activity and your hands are in shock. :ols: Might want to get insurance as trying to figure out what nerver is acting up can be very expensive.

Carpel tunnel?

Exactly what I was thinking, I had carpal release surgery last April for it. Similar situation, I went from office work back into the automotive field and within a month or two I started waking up with my whole arm numb and tingling, needles when I tweaked it right, inability to do certain things with my hand, especially things like holding chopsticks that require you to contract all your finger muscles. Do you feel the numbness right down your pinky all the way up into your arm?

On the plus side, it's not such a bad recovery if the surgery is needed. I was back to using my hand within 3-4 weeks and I'd say 100% back to normal at two months removed from the surgery. Be careful with waiting to get it checked out, at least with carpal tunnel the tingling and numbness comes because the blood flow to the nerves is restricted. Starved for blood often and for long enough the nerves start to die off. Permanent nerve and strength loss can occur if it's not taken care of.

Exactly what I was thinking, I had carpal release surgery last April for it. Similar situation, I went from office work back into the automotive field and within a month or two I started waking up with my whole arm numb and tingling, needles when I tweaked it right, inability to do certain things with my hand, especially things like holding chopsticks that require you to contract all your finger muscles. Do you feel the numbness right down your pinky all the way up into your arm?

On the plus side, it's not such a bad recovery if the surgery is needed. I was back to using my hand within 3-4 weeks and I'd say 100% back to normal at two months removed from the surgery. Be careful with waiting to get it checked out, at least with carpal tunnel the tingling and numbness comes because the blood flow to the nerves is restricted. Starved for blood often and for long enough the nerves start to die off. Permanent nerve and strength loss can occur if it's not taken care of.

No it's just in my hands. And when I rearrange them they wake back up.

For example I will be sitting in the recliner holding a PS3 controller playing a game. Depending on which direction I am leaning, that hand will start to fall asleep. If I shift my body, or just raise my hands up for a 15-20 seconds or so, they will wake up.

Definitely don't want to diagnose you over the internet, particulary since I'm not qualified to do so.

However, when I worked in my dad's ortho office helping him out, many patients who complained of these symptpms ended up having carpal tunnel. Typical symptoms included tingling and numbness from the thumb into the palm, problems with gripping, pain that sometimes could even run up to the elbow (typically cubital tunnel issues when it's that high), problems with finger coordination, gripping things, etc.

Bottom line, you need to get that checked out asap. It if does happen to be carpal or cubital tunnel, those surgeries aren't too big of a deal. Only a few stitches in the carpal tunnel and about 2-3x the stitches in the cubital.

Than again, I'm not an MD, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, so I'm totally qualified to give you this information :D

Good luck buddy

*** P.S. If my "diagnosis" is way off, you still need to see a doctor asap. :D

I had and have the same thing I was told it was carpal tunnel, turns out due the physical nature of my job it was taking a toll on my back.

Started an stretching and exerice program and it really helped

Same for me

As long as I was daily engaging in strenuous physical effort, I wouldn't worry about it. Happened to me regularly when a teenager and heavily involved in sports. (Waking up with both my arms briefly asleep was interesting at least a couple times. :) ) Waking up with a hand or foot asleep once in awhile, those rare spurts where I spend a week in some strenuous activity.

But please don't go on what I say, as a diagnosis for you. Just saying what my experience is.

Find out how much health insurance would be for you. You're young. Definitely get checked out though because if it's bothering you enough to ask, it's enough to find out what the problem is to avoid it getting worse when it doesn't have to.

Ive been having the same problem. Only mine acts up after I've gone to bed for about 4 hours. I wake up and my entire hand is numb but my thumb hurts like a redhot poker trying to push from the inside out. I came to the conclusion it's ulna nerve. Funnybone nerve. Advil ice and heat and a splint at night to keep my arm straight. Helped untill I did a roofing job. Then it acted up again. So I'm back on the ice etc.

My wife is an RN and she advises me away from surgery untill a LAST resort on anything.

No it's just in my hands. And when I rearrange them they wake back up.

For example I will be sitting in the recliner holding a PS3 controller playing a game. Depending on which direction I am leaning, that hand will start to fall asleep. If I shift my body, or just raise my hands up for a 15-20 seconds or so, they will wake up.

I had the same problem 15 or so years ago. I was from playing Zelda once i stopped playing video games my hands and fingers returned to normal in a few days

I'm not qualified, but I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of times when I do really heavy labor and my arms are really tired, my hands will tingle and all that crap. I don't think it's really a problem.

EDIT: are you using power tools in your landscaping job, especially a weedwhacker or chain saw?

Ive been having the same problem. Only mine acts up after I've gone to bed for about 4 hours. I wake up and my entire hand is numb but my thumb hurts like a redhot poker trying to push from the inside out. I came to the conclusion it's ulna nerve. Funnybone nerve. Advil ice and heat and a splint at night to keep my arm straight. Helped untill I did a roofing job. Then it acted up again. So I'm back on the ice etc.

My wife is an RN and she advises me away from surgery untill a LAST resort on anything.

Well, if it is carpal tunnel you are risking permanent nerve damage by not getting it taken care of. When you sleep your wrist goes limp and it puts pressure on the nerve tunnel exacerbating the restricted blood flow, a simple $12 CVS wrist brace will help with that.

Archived