Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSSports: Redskins looking to trade down

Xero21

I posted this in the Houston Chronicle thread, but figured it warranted having its own so that everyone could see it.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/28610589

There have been some reports that the Washington Redskins are looking to trade up to draft a quarterback.

I hear it's the exact opposite.

According to a league source, the Redskins are looking to trade down in the first round with the idea they will draft either Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder or TCU quarterback Andy Dalton.

The Redskins, who pick 10th overall, would like to get a second-round pick from a team in exchange for moving back to their spot in the first round. They could then use their two second-round picks to bolster the defense.

This is more like it.

Everyone can see this happening, because they want it to happen (including myself) but at the end of the day we really don't know. I know whoever reported us trading up didn't pull that rumor out the ass. One thing we know is we are going to take a QB somewhere in the first two rounds. Linked to Gabbert, Dalton, Locker, Colin, and now Ponder....all of these guys are going to suck right out the gate.

A true talented 1st round QB is just that.

A pretender like Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey ain't what the Skins need. We need a QB. A franchise one at that for over a decade! Time we do whatever we can to grab one!

Everyone can see this happening, because they want it to happen (including myself)

And because of the fact that, to trade up to #2, we'd have to magically make draft picks appear out of thin air. Shanahan just whiffed on trading picks for a QB he thought was his guy, he'd have to be an idiot to try it twice in the span of a year. All of our insiders here on this board have talked about us trading down too.

If we trade down for Dalton or Ponder, and then use additional picks to get two of the following guys: Ryan Williams, Kenrick Ellis, Stephen Paea, Bruce Carter, Rodney Hudson, Ben Ijalana, I would be extremely happy.

I could definitely see this happening. If we were able to pull this off, This would be the ideal situation for us.

1. Andy Dalton/ Christian Ponder / Jake Locker

2. Brooks Reed/Ryan Williams

2. Ryan Williams/ Sam Acho / Jabaal Sheard

5. Ian Williams

5. Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii /Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State / Terrance Toliver, WR, LSU

6-7. BPA

you can be building for the future while trading up.. the biggest piece needed for the future is a franchise QB.. whether there is one this year or not is up for debate..

That's really the only situation I see as being okay to trade up.

OK, how about they trade back in the 1st and pick up additional 2nd. Then, trade one of the second for desperate team wanting a second for next year 1st. Then they will have 2 1st next year (ammo for getting #1 pick next year to draft Andrew Luck!). With this year late 1st pick draft Mike Pouncy and with the second bolster a D-line. If this pan put they will be set on both lines and next year they get a franchise QB. This is what I am hoping :ols:

This isn't "likely" just because some guy at CBS Sports said so today. This is likely because:

1) It makes good, sound sense for the team, and

2) He happens to be right. The idea of trading down has been discussed far more extensively within the front office than the idea of trading up. Is the former a stone-cold lock? No, nothing is a lock. Is the latter impossible? No, nothing is impossible. Everything could change on Draft Day, depending on circumstance. But a betting man would be wiser to bet on a trade down, than on a trade up.

I didn't learn this directly, but from individuals who did, and who are--though not infallible--usually right.

Bull****. Some random guy in Houston said we're trading up to #2 to get Gabbert. It's settled.

I'm not saying he's right about us trading up but the same "random guy in Houston" also said that we were going to sign Albert.

And if I remember correctly, many on this board dismissed that rumor as well.

Honestly, nothing would surprise me wiith this regime.

This is exactly how I have felt since Shanallen came into power. I would only be surprised if we traded up to get Cam Newton, but the odds of that happening are the same as the odds of one of us hooking up with Kate Middleton. And by "hooking up with" I mean making sweet sweet love to while the Prince watches happily.

I'm not saying he's right about us trading up but the same "random guy in Houston" also said that we were going to sign Albert.

And if I remember correctly, many on this board dismissed that rumor as well.

Again, that was not a breaking story. As soon as it was known that he was a free agent and that there would be no cap, EVERYONE knew that he was coming here. Did people want to believe it? Nah, but not wanting to believe it doesn't mean that you don't know that it's going to happen.

inb4LLandTKmockhowlongthey'vebeensayingthis.

hmmm I BEEN SAYING THIS lol there since i was not included n ur post there.... BUT this article is closer then whats been out there.. not quite right just yet but getting close.. Gameplan is a good one, BUT we all go as the other 9 teams before us go, n the team behind us wanna go..if we can bend someone over n hand out a spanking for picks we will. Providing that the guy we want, is not there

hmmm I BEEN SAYING THIS lol there since i was not included n ur post there.... BUT this article is closer then whats been out there.. not quite right just yet but getting close.. Gameplan is a good one, BUT we all go as the other 9 teams before us go, n the team behind us wanna go..if we can bend someone over n hand out a spanking for picks we will. Providing that the guy we want, is not there

Sooooooo are you saying were not trading for the second spot for Gabbert? :munchout:

Archived