Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

APNews: Japan ups nuke crisis severity to match Chernobyl

Destino

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110412/D9MI2HB00.html

TOKYO (AP) - Japan raised the crisis level at its crippled nuclear plant Tuesday to a severity on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing high overall radiation leaks that have contaminated the air, tap water, vegetables and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said they raised the rating from 5 to 7 - the highest level on an international scale of nuclear accidents overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency - after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

The new ranking signifies a "major accident" that includes widespread effects on the environment and health, according to the Vienna-based IAEA. But Japanese officials played down any health effects and stressed that the harm caused by Chernobyl still far outweighs that caused by the Fukushima plant.

The revision came a day after the government added five communities to a list of places people should leave to avoid long-term radiation exposure. A 12-mile (20-kilometer) radius already had been cleared around the plant.

Not as bad as the headline sounds but the fact that the Japanese government has a habit of reporting worsening situations AFTER they have at least attempted to fix it is troubling. They need to warn early then respond, not the other way around.

Of course the incident isn't as bad as Chernobyl, (at least yet and a complete catastrophic failure seems unlikely at this point) but how far do you need the scale to go in severity? It's not like there's a competition for worst disaster and so a precise number is needed once it exceeds a specific level.

The Japanese facility had multiple massive failures. A number of people may have died. A large evacuation zone has been enforced. The plant was completely abandoned for a time while fire raged. Only by luck was a Chernobyl level leak avoided but the impact is still huge.

Of course the incident isn't as bad as Chernobyl, (at least yet and a complete catastrophic failure seems unlikely at this point) but how far do you need the scale to go in severity? It's not like there's a competition for worst disaster and so a precise number is needed once it exceeds a specific level.
The richter scale (used for comparison) is broken up into 100 parts and each is an exponent of the one before. This 1-7 scale is sort of ridiculous when 2 events (though both severe) are vastly different in severity but both ranked equally.
Only by luck was a Chernobyl level leak avoided....
Not true.

Not true.

At one point, the plant was abandoned overnight while a fire raged. At that point the risk of catastrophic failure was very, very significant.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 02:04 PM ----------

The richter scale (used for comparison) is broken up into 100 parts and each is an exponent of the one before. This 1-7 scale is sort of ridiculous when 2 events (though both severe) are vastly different in severity but both ranked equally.

You have a Richter scale and I have hurricanes or tornado ratings as a counter point. When you have complete loss of control of a plant and significant radiation leakage, whether the incident is a total cluster**** or a mega cluster**** seems academic.

This is why I don't believe a freaking word that comes from the Japanese government. I view them as attempting to save face in the international community regarding the severity of the radiation being leaked into the surrounding environment. I'm a disaster reservist for FEMA and I thank God they haven't activated me and sent me over there because I believe the situation is worse than the Japanese officials are making public.

This is why I don't believe a freaking word that comes from the Japanese government. I view them as attempting to save face in the international community regarding the severity of the radiation being leaked into the surrounding environment. I'm a disaster reservist for FEMA and I thank God they haven't activated me and sent me over there because I believe the situation is worse than the Japanese officials are making public.

You knew something was up when Europe and the US basically called the Japanese government a pack of liars in the press. They told their people that the information wasn't right and to get the hell out of there way before the Japanese government was even admitting the severity of the event.

There is no reason to believe them now either. If all they needed was power that would have been done by now. Doesn't take long AT ALL to move generators in and connect the cables. They are still in crisis mode and still bull****ting everyone IMO.

You knew something was up when Europe and the US basically called the Japanese government a pack of liars in the press. They told their people that the information wasn't right and to get the hell out of there way before the Japanese government was even admitting the severity of the event.

There is no reason to believe them now either. If all they needed was power that would have been done by now. Doesn't take long AT ALL to move generators in and connect the cables. They are still in crisis mode and still bull****ting everyone IMO.

Yeah, I've learned in my profession that you can tell a lot about crises by paying attention not so much to the media, or even what the affected government is releasing to the public (information-wise), but to how the US responds in terms of experts they send into the region and what they are advising their citizens in that country to do. In this situation's case, the U.S. government essentially told their citizens to get the hell out of the area, even the country. That's very telling.

• 3 months later...

Tepco Reports Second Deadly Radiation Reading at Fukushima Plant

Tokyo Electric Power Co. reported its second deadly radiation reading in as many days at its wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant north of Tokyo.

The utility known as Tepco said yesterday it detected 5 sieverts of radiation per hour in the No. 1 reactor building. On Aug. 1 in another area it recorded radiation of 10 sieverts per hour, enough to kill a person “within a few weeks” after a single exposure, according to the World Nuclear Association.

Radiation has impeded attempts to replace cooling systems to bring three melted reactors and four damaged spent fuel ponds under control after a tsunami on March 11 crippled the plant. The latest reading was taken on the second floor of the No. 1 reactor building and will stop workers entering the area.

Click on the link for the full article

• 4 months later...

Wild monkeys to measure radiation levels in Fukushima

The new project, conducted by researchers at Fukushima University, will involve monkeys being fitted with collars containing radiation meters and GPS transmitters.

Scientists will be able to monitor radiation levels deep across forest areas in Fukushima, home to the nuclear power plant severely damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

The collars will detachable remotely at the end of the experiment, which will last up to around two months, according to a team of scientists led by Professor Takayuki Takahashi.

We decided to use monkeys for this project because the territory they cover is very well known to us," Professor Takahashi told the Telegraph. "It's the first time such an experiment has been carried out with monkeys."

Forests in the Fukushima region are currently being monitored for radiation levels primarily from the air, with testing taking place most commonly from helicopters.

Wild monkeys to measure radiation levels in Fukushima

The new project, conducted by researchers at Fukushima University, will involve monkeys being fitted with collars containing radiation meters and GPS transmitters.

Scientists will be able to monitor radiation levels deep across forest areas in Fukushima, home to the nuclear power plant severely damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

The collars will detachable remotely at the end of the experiment, which will last up to around two months, according to a team of scientists led by Professor Takayuki Takahashi.

We decided to use monkeys for this project because the territory they cover is very well known to us," Professor Takahashi told the Telegraph. "It's the first time such an experiment has been carried out with monkeys."

Forests in the Fukushima region are currently being monitored for radiation levels primarily from the air, with testing taking place most commonly from helicopters.

And so it begins. Rise Apes!

In all seriousness, 12 miles isn't too bad right? Do you build a wall or something?

Shinra Electric Power Co. reported its second deadly radiation reading in as many days at its wrecked Midgar Mako plant.

That's what my mind turns this into, every time.

2666969_640px.jpg?1284426736

Yeah, even back then, FF7 seemed like a cautionary tale about abusing the planet. Hell, they're even called reactors.

1000 years from now, all that'll be left is a bunch of RedXIII's running around. Honestly, I'm not even sure thats a bad thing anymore lol....

Archived