Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT:Martellus Bennett: Romo should have to compete with Kitna for QB job

Big Blue Joe

Martellus Bennett: Romo sits to pee should have to compete with Kitna for QB job

When the lockout ends and practices begin, Tony Romo sits to pee will take back his spot quarterbacking the Cowboys’ No. 1 offense. But not everyone on the Cowboys’ offense thinks it should be that simple.

Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett believes that Jon Kitna should battle Romo sits to pee in training camp and the preseason to see who the starter will be.

“I loved playing with Kitna,” Bennett said on ESPN 103.3′s Ben & Skin Show. “Kitna is one of my favorite people to play with. Just being out there on the field with that guy just makes you play even harder. He made some things happen in limited time, so I think if he got a longer chance, he’d be able to do more. I hope there’s a chance for a quarterback competition this year. Every position, I think we need to put more competition into it.”

There’s certainly a case to be made that Kitna was better than Romo sits to pee last year. Their stats were comparable (Kitna’s passer rating was 88.9, while Romo sits to pee’s was 94.9), and the Cowboys’ record was better with Kitna starting (4-5) than with Romo sits to pee starting (1-5).

But there’s no real chance of a quarterback competition in Dallas. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett have made it clear that they’re completely confident in Romo sits to pee as their starter. Even if the guys on the other end of Romo sits to pee’s passes aren’t so sure

He's absolutely right.:applause:

That's actually not a dumb statement he made. He's right. Kitna should have a fair shot to start. I think Kitna's better for that team anyway.

I didn't mean the statement itself. Just that this isn't what the Cowboys want to hear from one of their players. Its stupid as a teammate, and I love hearing it from him.

Considering Bennett is a backup TE and gets most of his reps with the 2nd team it's no wonder he would have built chemistry with Kitna, but for him to think Kitna should be the starter is just plain crazy talk....and I hope his dumb azz continues talking

Considering Bennett is a backup TE and gets most of his reps with the 2nd team it's no wonder he would have built chemistry with Kitna, but for him to think Kitna should be the starter is just plain crazy talk....and I hope his dumb azz continues talking
I don't see anything crazy about stating that football players should have to earn the right to start every year. Especially on the Cowboys, where guys tend to earn playing time based on the size of their contract or draft status moreso than their actual ability.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/04/07/is-there-really-a-qb-controversy-in-dallas/?module=HP_cp2

Much ado about nothing, or an off-handed comment that has some merit? That is the question following Martellus Bennett’s remarks regarding the need for a quarterback competition in Dallas.

The Cowboys tight end said Tuesday that there should be a fight for the starting job between QBs Tony Romo sits to pee and Jon Kitna. In fact, NFL.com senior columnist Vic Carucci said that the former could learn much from the latter.

Both of these thoughts only piggyback Roy Williams‘ mid-season opining that Kitna “is just as good” as Romo sits to pee.

Do many Cowboys fans think both Bennett and Williams are knuckleheads? Probably yes, considering their blown assignments and Williams’ inopportune fumble that cost the Cowboys a Thanksgiving win vs. the Saints. Maybe neither should be commenting on other players’ jobs. That said, there is merit to the idea of the 39-year old Kitna being in the same ballpark as Romo sits to pee.

An investigation of three of their most important numbers from the 2010 season reveals a pretty close shave. The difference between the two may be more like Captain Kirk vs. Picard than the gulf between David Lee Roth and the Sammy Hagar experiment.

Romo sits to pee had a slightly better touchdown percentage (5.20 to 5.00) and a lower interception percentage (3.00 to 3.80) last season. Kitna, however, was marginally better at creating big plays (5.70 to 5.60).

chart_040711.jpg?w=575&h=493

Archived