Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has been to Kauai ?

Mickalino

I am just beginning to bounce back from the financial distress I suffered several years ago and I have decided to treat myself to a long-awaited, and much-deserved vacation. My first vacation in 5 years.

I had some unused airline miles and I'm planning to use them to go to Kauai. I was actually born in Hawaii, but I have never been to the island of Kauai. Can anyone help me with the "spots" I need to hit there ? I'm not going there for the "nightlife" or "city lights", obviously. It's a very scenic island and that's why I picked that island. I am really into exploring, hiking, and nature.

What are my "cant-miss" spots for the greatest "views" and greatest "experiences with nature" ?

Im not sure about Kauai, but if you want to get out to the Carribean, I can get you an awesome deal on a three bedroom, 3 full bath condo in the private bay of Marigot, St. Lucia. Google Pelican House St. Lucia, its my father inlaws place. Hike the Piton Mtns or scuba at the base of them. Ride ATV's all over the countryside... just sayin. ;)

Congrats on the settlement! Money coming in is always a good day!

I've been. It's beautiful and sleepy there.

The Napili coast on the north side is amazing cliffs - the best way to see it is by copter or speedboat. You can hike there, but it would take you all day and kick your azz, and you won't get very far. The whole North Shore is beautiful and very hippie (in a good way). Great beaches and small stores with shave ice.

In the middle of the island in the west side mountains is Waimea canyon, which is like a mini Grand Canyon. You have to approach it from the south. It's a must see.

There are several waterfalls that you can swim under. I think one was used in Jurassic Park.

Go kayaking on the Wialua river.

There is a blowhole in Poipu on the south side. When the tide is right, it spouts like crazy.

Obviously there are a ton of beaches.

That's all I remember, its been a while since I was there.

The Napili coast on the north side is amazing cliffs - the best way to see it is by copter or speedboat. You can hike there, but it would take you all day and kick your azz, and you won't get very far. The whole North Shore is beautiful and very hippie (in a good way). Great beaches and small stores with shave ice.

In the middle of the island in the west side mountains is Waimea canyon, which is like a mini Grand Canyon. You have to approach it from the south. It's a must see.

There are several waterfalls that you can swim under. I think one was used in Jurassic Park.

There is a blowhole in Poipu on the south side. When the tide is right, it spouts like crazy.

damn, that sounds pretty awesome itself. I may have to see if I can swap one of my timeshares out and get a week there.

Im not sure about Kauai, but if you want to get out to the Carribean, I can get you an awesome deal on a three bedroom, 3 full bath condo in the private bay of Marigot, St. Lucia. Google Pelican House St. Lucia, its my father inlaws place. Hike the Piton Mtns or scuba at the base of them. Ride ATV's all over the countryside... just sayin. ;)

Congrats on the settlement! Money coming in is always a good day!

Thanks. I'd love to accept the offer, but I've already cashed in my frequent flyer award for Hawaii

The whole North Shore is beautiful and very hippie (in a good way).

So basically the Hawaiian girls there actually shave their armpits ? :silly:

I was going to be a wet blanket and say if you are just coming out of financial problems now is the time to get your house in order and build up that foundation, but if you've already cashed in the miles and are committed... have a blast. I've only been to Maui, but it was one of the best vacatons of my life.

Kauai is amazing Mickalino, you won't be disappointed. Hanalei Bay on the north side of the island, near Princeville, may be the crowning jem of the entire island (It's an expansive bay that can take you literally your whole trip to explore and enjoy). There is some insane hiking on the west side (not easy though but worth the effort). If you want I have a friend who's lived there the past 20 years who could impart some more local knowledge. One immutable truth about the Islands: they don't like the mainlanders.

Predicto is right about the coastline as well as that blowhole thing. I took a helicopter tour, and it was awesome. You can even see whales from the chopper. I would recommend just driving around the whole island. It only takes a few days to see the sites (of course a lot more if you really want to explore). It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Kauai is amazing Mickalino, you won't be disappointed. Hanalei Bay on the north side of the island, near Princeville, may be the crowning jem of the entire island (It's an expansive bay that can take you literally your whole trip to explore and enjoy). There is some insane hiking on the west side (not easy though but worth the effort). If you want I have a friend who's lived there the past 20 years who could impart some more local knowledge.

Thanks, would definitely like to hear some local wisdom - at least to know about the "danger spots" to stay away from - whether it's dangerous locals, or dangerous undertow at certain beaches.

One immutable truth about the Islands: they don't like the mainlanders.

What if I show them my I.D. ? I have a hawaiian middle name.

Mick...I have been to Kauai and yes...it is beautiful. The "greenest" of the islands with lush vegetation and incredible waterfalls. I hiked for days.

I am heading to Maui on 4/9 for a week and then sailing over to Lanai and spending 3 nights at the Lodge at Koele.

It can't get here soon enough. :)

Thanks, would definitely like to hear some local wisdom - at least to know about the "danger spots" to stay away from - whether it's dangerous locals, or dangerous undertow at certain beaches.

As far as I know, the most angry locals are on the west side of Oahu and the north side of Maui, but some people will give you "stink-eye" on every island. As long as you dont try to steal their women or their surf breaks, you will be fine.

I totally want to go to Hawaii now and play polly wolly with the native women - thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Their women were very friendly to me (maui),I got along with the locals just fine...especially w/o the wife

I went to Kauai in 2005, and I thought it was beautiful.

If you are into adventure at all, you absolutely need a 4x4 vehicle. If you plan on going into the center of the island to the jungle or the Keahua Arboretum, you just cannot do it without a 4x4.

Some things are relatively easy. Lots of things can be seen right from the road or very close by.

Wailua Falls you basically drive up and look out at the falls. Easy, takes no effort to get there and quite a beautiful overlook.

A drive to the north shore is very scenic, you get to see things like a Taro field right from the road, and you cross a few wooden bridges all the way to a dead end near Ha'ena and can grab lunch there. Simple.

Once up there, there is a cave that you can get to and swim in. Pretty creepy swimming in a cave, but cool and very easy to get to. It used to be deeper and have a blue glow to it and they called it the Blue Room. Now it's basically just a cave. I didn't know that at the time, or I might have just done something else. As it was, it was kind of an overcast day, so it fit our schedule.

Beaches. There are some great ones, and tons of Snorkeling. You'll get to see sea turtles, which I had never seen, and obviously lots of colors, etc. I would recommend bringing a snorkel kit just to make it easier. US Divers sells one and it's like $70 at LL BEan. Well worth it in my estimation. All the beaches are easy to get to for the most part. I remember Tunnels Beach, one called Secret beach, I don't know they all kind of blend together. Poipu Beach was nice as well.

Wiamea Canyon. Easy to just drive it. The Canyon Drive is like 20 miles long as it winds upward. Lots of places to pull over and look out.

Hikes.

Some we did that were easy, some moderate, and some I would not really recommend.

Kipu Falls. On the south side of the island basically. Not really a hike at all, you just park and walk a dirt path to a falls that has a rope swing and a falls that you can jump off. Easy. Highly recommend because it takes almost no effort and is a lot of fun.

Waipo'o Falls. You can start at the Canyon road and walk down to the east along the Canyon Trail to the falls. The falls are in stages, so the first one has a pool that you can swim in. The next one is like 800 feet down, so you really only get to appreciate it by helicopter, but the whole area reminds you Grand Canyon west, because it's arid and there are waterfalls. The dirt is very red, and they used to use it to make dye, so wear clothes that you don't care about.

Awa'awapuhi Trail. I loved this trail. Again start at the road, only this time you walk west toward the Na Pali Coast. I honestly don't think you could go wrong on any of these trails, but I took that trail, to the Nu'alolu cliff trail to a deadend lookout. I started before sunrise. That whole Na Pali coast is really spectacular. The elevation change is maybe 1500 feet, but the trail footing was for the most part fine. The cliff trail had a few spots I took slowly.

The Pihea trail is right at the end of that Canyon drive, and it leads to the Alaka'i swamp, which is actually a swamp at 4500 ft elevation. Maybe 4 miles to the end at a lookout.

The best sunsets on the island are along the lower stretches of the Wiamea Canyon drive. You won't be the only one that stops your car to appreciate the sunset. Probably see a small crowd of people doing the same thing.

OK. The jungle has a ton of trails. You drive in from the east as you are going to the Keahua Arboretum. Even the drive is nice, but again, you need a 4x4.

I had it in my mind that my wife and I would try to hike to these tunnels that used to divert water from the Hanalei river to the sugar cane fields on the other side of the mountain. They actually paid to blast tunnels through the mountain in the 20's. No longer used, these 3 tunnels are just abandoned and you see waterfalls that practically no one else gets to see.

Yeah skip this one. First. It's crazy muddy. Second, you have to stay on the path or you will sink too your calves in mud, but you have to stoop to stay on the path because it's overgrown jungle. So unless you like stooping under jungle growth 3 feet high in places for several hours and getting completely muddy (and who does) this one aint for you. Then the first tunnel is like one mile, so you have to change footware to aqua socks or something and walk through ankle deep water. Oh yeah, there's a second tunnel. We didn';t make it to the third tunnel. Honestly, I can't believe we even made it that far, because it was so uncomfortable. Yes. There are waterfalls at the end of the tunnels. Yes, they are spectacular. But not worth it. Not for the efffort. The only way I would do this hike again is with a chainsaw. Seriously.

I think a helicopter ride on Kauai is really worth it. You really get to appreciate the diversity of the terrain, and everywhere you look it's just green and lush, then you are on the west side of the island and it looks like the grand canyon. All in one helicopter ride.

Anyway, hopefully you will have a great time.

Thanks, all of you.

I noticed no-one mentioned the Fern Grotto. Any reason why ?

Once up there, there is a cave that you can get to and swim in. Pretty creepy swimming in a cave, but cool and very easy to get to. It used to be deeper and have a blue glow to it and they called it the Blue Room. Now it's basically just a cave. I didn't know that at the time, or I might have just done something else. As it was, it was kind of an overcast day, so it fit our schedule.

When you say, "now it's basically just a cave", do you mean there's no longer a pool inside ?

Beaches. There are some great ones, and tons of Snorkeling. You'll get to see sea turtles, which I had never seen, and obviously lots of colors, etc. I would recommend bringing a snorkel kit just to make it easier. US Divers sells one and it's like $70 at LL BEan. Well worth it in my estimation.

Can't you rent snorkeling equipment ? Or you don't recommend that ?

When you say, "now it's basically just a cave", do you mean there's no longer a pool inside ?

No, there's water, and you can swim. I did. It just doesn't light up blue anymore.

Can't you rent snorkeling equipment ? Or you don't recommend that ?

You can, but it probably works out better in the long run to buy some here and take them with you. WHat are rentals, like 10 bucks maybe? That's all I'm saying. The US Divers set is pretty comfortable. I have one.

^^^What he said.

Yes, one of the waterfalls is the one from Jurassic Park. I haven't been in 10+ years. Back then, it was the least touristy of all the islands.

The island is amazing, lush and beautiful. Highest point on the island is actually one of the wettest spots on the face of the earth.

Second, you have to stay on the path or you will sink too your calves in mud, but you have to stoop to stay on the path because it's overgrown jungle. So unless you like stooping under jungle growth 3 feet high in places for several hours and getting completely muddy (and who does) this one aint for you. Then the first tunnel is like one mile, so you have to change footware to aqua socks or something and walk through ankle deep water.
Highest point on the island is actually one of the wettest spots on the face of the earth.

And according to dockery, even the low points are pretty damn wet. :ols:

I guess that's what makes it such a "lush, green" island.

Archived