Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has been to Kauai ?

Mickalino

But can you get it in Kauai ? :)

:40oz: :refill:

I'm not sure. You can ask when you get there.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 01:44 PM ----------

I have not been to Kauai, but I have been to the main island, Maui, and Oahu (Honolulu). My best experience was in Maui. Of all the beaches we went to, the ones at Maui were the best. Honolulu was actually pretty disappointing. In Maui, we stayed 8 days at a beautiful two story condo near the beach. Loved every minute I spent there. But it has been more than half my life since I was there. I bet I'd appreciate it even more now.

You're right. Maui has the best beaches. Plus, I loved when the bottom of the sun hit the horizon, it only takes a minute and a half for the sun to completely submerge into the ocean. Spectacular.

I have not been to Kauai, but I have been to the main island, Maui, and Oahu (Honolulu). My best experience was in Maui. Of all the beaches we went to, the ones at Maui were the best. Honolulu was actually pretty disappointing. In Maui, we stayed 8 days at a beautiful two story condo near the beach. Loved every minute I spent there. But it has been more than half my life since I was there. I bet I'd appreciate it even more now.
I'm not sure. You can ask when you get there.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 01:44 PM ----------

You're right. Maui has the best beaches. Plus, I loved when the bottom of the sun hit the horizon, it only takes a minute and a half for the sun to completely submerge into the ocean. Spectacular.

I had the opposite experience in Mauai.

I walked away from that island (not literally walked, of course - flew) thinking it had the worst beaches.

Reason being was all the dangerous coral and rock all over the beaches, which made the beach at my resort completely unswimmable, with the exception of the pool :(

Maybe I just stayed at the worst part of the island ? But even when we ventured out to sightsee, all the beaches we found, were just covered with bulky, and sharp rocks.

I have only been to Kauai, Oahu, and the Big Island, but honestly, I thought the beaches in Kona were the best, hands down.

Maybe someone who has been to both Maui and the Big Island can compare the two.

I had the opposite experience in Mauai.

I walked away from that island (not literally walked, of course - flew) thinking it had the worst beaches.

Reason being was all the dangerous coral and rock all over the beaches, which made the beach at my resort completely unswimmable, with the exception of the pool :(

Maybe I just stayed at the worst part of the island ? But even when we ventured out to sightsee, all the beaches we found, were just covered with bulky, and sharp rocks.

Interesting, because that was the same problem for me at Honolulu. The beach there was very rocky and tore up my feet. Quite annoying. While Maui was incredibly smooth. I guess we just both were at bad spots. I'd have to ask my mom where we stayed in Maui, but I remember specifically where we stayed in Honolulu. It was the Hilton Hawaiian Village at Waikiki.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone provide some insight into this "Leptospirosis"

Apparently, it can be a dealy bacteria you catch in the fresh water and mud in Hawaii, and you can get it as easily as water splashing in your eyes when going on one of those rope swings in Kipu Falls and such.

Is it really a high risk, that makes it not worth haning around the fresh water ?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Feb/11/ln/ln17a.html

I have only been to Kauai, Oahu, and the Big Island, but honestly, I thought the beaches in Kona were the best, hands down.

Maybe someone who has been to both Maui and the Big Island can compare the two.

I've been to Maui about 6 times, the Big Island 3 or 4 times, Kauai once and Oahu once.

Maui has the best beaches. Now, all of Hawaii is volcanic, so you have to know where to go. Anywhere that is not an identified beach on a map is likely to be a rockpile. But the entire west side of Maui is scattered with great beaches. Ka'anapali, Kapalaua, Big and Little Makena, Wailea, Kama'ole and Napili Bay are all fantastic, in different ways.

The Big Island has the worst beaches (except for a couple of Truly Awesome black sand beaches that are very hard to get to). The volcanic rock near Kona is just too new. Most of it is less than a thousand years old. The only really nice easily accessable beach I know is Hapuna, about 30 miles north of Kona. The Mauna Kea Hotel has a great beach, but you gotta stay there to use it, and that place is about 900 bucks a night. :ols:

There's a deadly bacteria floating around in Hawaii's fresh water streams where tourists frequently swim, and no-one seems to care :(

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Apr/10/ln/ln03a.html

http://hawaii.gov/health/about/reports/leptobrochure.pdf

Lepto is found all over the world. Less than 200 cases in Hawaii in the past 12 years.

I wouldn't sweat it too hard. If you get sick, they can check for it.

I'll be happy to save you by taking your place. :)

Give me your address and I'll send you a postcard :)

Lepto is found all over the world. Less than 200 cases in Hawaii in the past 12 years.

I wouldn't sweat it too hard. If you get sick, they can check for it.

So, give me the odds, Predicto :

I'm more likely to get _____________________ in Hawaii, than acquire Lepto.

"get eaten by a shark while snorkeling" ????

Give me your address and I'll send you a postcard :)

So, give me the odds, Predicto :

I'm more likely to get _____________________ in Hawaii, than acquire Lepto.

"get eaten by a shark while snorkeling" ????

Mick is more likely to get the clap from a vacationing Iowa divorcee at a drunken luau in Hawaii, than acquire Lepto.

(ps don't worry about shark attacks either. Do worry about getting an infected cut in your foot from stepping on live coral or spiny urchins. That actually happens a lot)

Thanks, Predicto. You get a postcard, too :)

One final question for you guys before I pack up and leave -

Should reservations for "activities" and "tours" be booked in advance before you get there, or are they usually available if you wait until you arrive on the island ?

Archived